Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How to change dslr lenses: four methods

Some of us may wonder how to change lenses on our DSLR when we are on the go...

Here are links to tutorials on how to changes lenses with Canon, Nikon, Sony and Pentax.

- Canon (quickly...):
- Nikon (quickly...):
- Sony:
- Pentax:

What method do you prefer ? :-)

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-05-2015 at 11:32 PM.
04-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

None.... actually. They all look dodgy to me.
04-05-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Any suggestion how to do it easily/quickly ?
04-05-2015, 11:36 PM - 2 Likes   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I knew there was a reason for running multiple bodies...

04-05-2015, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Nope.
I have never been in a wet/sandy/dusty/blustery environment where I absolutely needed to change a lens. I always knew ahead of time which camera bodies I was taking and which lens I needed mounted.
04-06-2015, 05:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's how I do it to minimize the amount of time the inside of the DSLR body is exposed.

First, I lay the camera down on the ground on its back. I push the button holding the lens in and rotate the lens until it's loose and ready to be removed, but I don't remove it yet.

Next, I take the new lens and remove the back lens cap. I bring it up close to the old lens and rotate it until the little dot is in position.

Then, I use one hand to remove the old lens while I slide the new lens on, as quickly as I can. I rotate it into place until it goes click.

Finally, I put the back lens cap on the old lens and put it away.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but I can actually pull off the whole maneuver quite efficiently, once I have everything set up. Not nearly as fast as the guy in the Pentax video, though.
04-06-2015, 05:49 AM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't remember ever having to change lenses quickly. If I expect the need for several focal lengths I put on a zoom or bring two bodies. Or both.

If I go out with one body and fixed focal length I have already decided I won't be in a hurry (Yeah, photography is just a hobby for me.)

I guess it all boils down to being prepared.

04-06-2015, 05:57 AM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
neat - i'll try it out - over my bed though!

I'm a poor one-body fellow. =)

I stand my camera/lens on the front of the lens in my sling bag, loosen the lens but don't remove it, prepare the other lens, lift my body up so it is pointing down and put on the new lens. Then put the other lens away.
Similar to @Outis
04-06-2015, 06:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
I push the button holding the lens in and rotate the lens until it's loose and ready to be removed, but I don't remove it yet.
Yeah, that actually better that what I do (I remove the lens, let the camera open , remove the cap from the new lens, put it on the old lens, than screw the new lens to body).

Not nearly as fast as the guy in the Pentax video, though.
It looks like this guy already positionned the lenses correctly on his table so that the red dot already match with the camera the mount.

But overall, what you can see is that Canon, Nikon and Sony have the lens mount lock button on the left side , while Pentax lock is right side (on the side of the camera handle), so the Pentax layout is more convenient for changing lenses by holding the camera in one hand and holding the lens in the other hand.
04-06-2015, 06:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, that actually better that what I do (I remove the lens, let the camera open , remove the cap from the new lens, put it on the old lens, than screw the new lens to body).

It looks like this guy already positionned the lenses correctly on his table so that the red dot already match with the camera the mount.

But overall, what you can see is that Canon, Nikon and Sony have the lens mount lock button on the left side , while Pentax lock is right side (on the side of the camera handle), so the Pentax layout is more convenient for changing lenses by holding the camera in one hand and holding the lens in the other hand.
Hah I'm also one bodied man

Yes, I leave the camera on a neck strap. I unlock the lens, rotate it a bit, ready the second by removing the cap, remove the lens, put the new and put the cap on the other

You can do the same with canon/nikon but I like the placement of the ulock button on pentax better
04-06-2015, 06:42 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My turn. When in the field, I hold the camera so the opening is facing the ground, have removed presently installed lens, put that in a pocket, take next lens and mount it still with the camera pointing down. But I don't change lenses that often either. Like others, if I have a range of focal lengths I'm shooting, I just attach a zoom lens.
04-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's how I do it to minimize the amount of time the inside of the DSLR body is exposed.

First, I lay the camera down on the ground on its back. I push the button holding the lens in and rotate the lens until it's loose and ready to be removed, but I don't remove it yet.

Next, I take the new lens and remove the back lens cap. I bring it up close to the old lens and rotate it until the little dot is in position.

Then, I use one hand to remove the old lens while I slide the new lens on, as quickly as I can. I rotate it into place until it goes click.

Finally, I put the back lens cap on the old lens and put it away.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but I can actually pull off the whole maneuver quite efficiently, once I have everything set up. Not nearly as fast as the guy in the Pentax video, though.

Yep, that is what I do. I always have it laid out and ready to go with everything in it's place. I always make sure to turn on my camera, lens down, after mounting the lens so that the dust removal occurs downward before I start shooting again.
04-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I can't say I would ever do it as in the video. I shoot mostly in the field and my preference is to not leave a lens sitting there with the rear cap off. My sequence:
  • Second lens leaning against bag, rear cap rotated to off position
  • Camera in left hand
  • Rotate first lens off camera and set next to other lens, mount up
  • Take rear cap off second lens and set on first
  • Mount second lens to camera
  • Tighten rear cap to first lens and place in bag
Never more than one lens per hand. Never more than one lens with cap off. Body open a minimal amount of time. Note that with the pictured method any dust that falls on the lens rear goes straight into the camera.

Steve
04-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #14
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I can't say I would ever do it as in the video. I shoot mostly in the field and my preference is to not leave a lens sitting there with the rear cap off. My sequence:
  • Second lens leaning against bag, rear cap rotated to off position
  • Camera in left hand
  • Rotate first lens off camera and set next to other lens, mount up
  • Take rear cap off second lens and set on first
  • Mount second lens to camera
  • Tighten rear cap to first lens and place in bag
Never more than one lens per hand. Never more than one lens with cap off. Body open a minimal amount of time. Note that with the pictured method any dust that falls on the lens rear goes straight into the camera.
Indeed, whenever I change lenses I use the same method - using my bag as my table. I don't care about speed, just to minimise the risk of dropping camera/lenses and of getting crud into my camera.
04-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
Changing lenses in a messy/dusty/wet environment is tricky. And holding two lenses with one hand, like manny of those "faster technic" videos, is begging to an accident to occur.
But, by far, the placement of lens release button on Pentax bodies is better. Lens swap is fast and you can get back to action in no time. I use to change lenses quit often, and can quickly take off the lens from the body, get another one from my belt and put on the new, while still holding the camera. Usually, all with camera mount pointed to the ground. To keep things faster, I left the lens on the belt pouches un-caped and mount down.