Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2008, 07:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Zewrak: "odd bokeh" with the SMC Taks? What issues have you observed?

Glen

06-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Zewrak: "odd bokeh" with the SMC Taks? What issues have you observed?

Glen
Well, some pictures get some odd looking artifacts. And in someways it just looks odd.

Shows a bit in this, I don't say its good or bad, it just looks odd sometimes.
Flickr Photo Download: Backyard crow

I did not have any really good examples online it seem.
06-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I like to mount the adapters on the lenses, instead of mounting them in the body. I never have a problem with them sticking on the lens. I remove them with a standard lens cap. Using this method, I can buy the inexpensive third party Pentax clones and remove the spring detent. I usually drill a small hole for the bayonet latch in the lens mount. This way I can use the lenses as I would use bayonet lenses. I have a real Pentax adapter, but seldom use it, due to the extra steps involved. It's great.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Make sure you get a proper one from Pentax. No thirdparty crap ones that will get stuck in your camera.
06-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Well I, and this is highly personal, don't like to drill or modify my lenses in any way. I'm not the militant type that tell others not to. I just want mine as they are meant to be. Plus I am going to use them on my spotmatic too . But that is a solution.

06-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
Honeywell 110 and Vivitar 151 flashes

Everything seems to be in mint condition (except some battery corrosion on the vivitar flash). I'm mostly interested in the two SMC Taks. Did I make out pretty well?
I haven't read all the posts yet, so someone may have stated this already.
But DO NOT use these flashes right on your camera. There's a really good chance that the discharge voltage is too high for your camera, which would cause the electronic circuits in your camera to fry
06-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I haven't read all the posts yet, so someone may have stated this already.
But DO NOT use these flashes right on your camera. There's a really good chance that the discharge voltage is too high for your camera, which would cause the electronic circuits in your camera to fry
Thanks. If I use these flashes at all they'll only be for off-camera work (I already have the AF540).

I was going to post this in the film SLR forum but since this thread seems to still be going maybe I should just post it here:

The Spotmatic isn't working! I went and picked up a new battery for it today (which was rather hard to find) but I'm still getting nothing out of the light meter. Plus, the mirror has a tendency to stick in the up position, blocking out the viewfinder (though the shutter appears to be working flawlessly). If I push on some of the bars/pins inside the lens mount when the mirror is stuck and then take another picture, it usually un-sticks. Is it possible to lubricate this at all or does it need more serious work? And any ideas on the metering? Is it completely shot or is there a simple problem I'm overlooking? I've never used a spotmatic before (but I do still have an old Minolta x700, so I know a little about old film SLRs), so there certainly could be something I'm missing.

Thanks!
06-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The version of the Spotmatic I have, requires you to turn the meter on, and stop down the lens. This is done with the black switch on the left side of the camera on the lens mount. Push it up. I think this is diferent then with the spotmatic F.

Here is a link to the manual.

Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax SL, user manual, instruction manual

06-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Zewrak,
The inexpensive lenses are just tools to me. I often modify my equipment to meet my needs or improve on it. Of course I have many cameras and lenses that I wouldn't think of modifing, such as collectors items, like my Canon 50mm F0.95 etc. Some lenses cost me less then 2-3 euros. Its fun.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Well I, and this is highly personal, don't like to drill or modify my lenses in any way. I'm not the militant type that tell others not to. I just want mine as they are meant to be. Plus I am going to use them on my spotmatic too . But that is a solution.
06-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Zewrak,
The inexpensive lenses are just tools to me. I often modify my equipment to meet my needs or improve on it. Of course I have many cameras and lenses that I wouldn't think of modifing, such as collectors items, like my Canon 50mm F0.95 etc. Some lenses cost me less then 2-3 euros. Its fun.

Dave
Sure, I have some lenses that I don't care much for either. Mostly because of their performance. I got some real gems that I got for £2 though. And some of them I would modify in a second if I felt a need for it. I would never however put a drill to my Takumars. Ever. But as I said, thats highly personal. I don't care if others do it, as long as they state it before I buy it . I rather have people modify and use old lenses then let them sit in a box somewhere unused.