Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 35mm Limited - Shifting viewfinder image in Manual Focus

Hi,

When I focus manually with my DA 35mm Limited, the image ‘jumps’ or shifts visibly in the viewfinder or in the Liveview display, as I rack the focus ring back and forth to achieve focus. It’s especially noticeable at close subject distances or when using the magnified Liveview.

While I can achieve the proper focus, the exercise is tedious. There are no apparent issues with autofocus. I’m using a K-5 II, mounted on a sturdy tripod and robust ball head. My other lenses work fine in MF.

The inner barrel exhibits a slight wobble when I wiggle it by hand.

The lens has exhibited this issue since I got it several years ago. Soon after I got the lens, I sent it for warranty service to Pentax Canada; they ‘adjusted’ it but the problem persists.

I suspect the likely cause is a slight play in the focus helicoid. The problem seems to be getting worse (or my patience is wearing thin).

Has anyone experienced a similar behaviour with MF with this lens or other DA Limiteds?

Thanks

- Craig

04-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

In macro closeup with the 35, final focus is tuned by moving the lens barrel closer to or farther from the subject. How close was your subject?
04-06-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Hi,

Has anyone experienced a similar behaviour with MF with this lens or other DA Limiteds?

Thanks

- Craig
I had the 35 limited for about 3 years and manual focused all the time for macro images. I never noticed the behavior you described. I had the other limiteds as well but didn't manual focus much with them. Forgot to mention i have a k-5 and rarely used the liveview.
04-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You might want to try using a macro rail to focus if you're doing up-close work. Won't hurt. Might help. Don't have the lens in question so I can't comment on the problem directly, but if it doesn't go away a rail might help.

04-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I've thought of getting a focus rail, which would aid macro work in several ways. Dice, thanks for mentioning your experience with your copy.

Otherwise, my 35 Ltd works well, and it's spot on when auto-focused.

- Craig