Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Old Asahi lens

Hi. Just was given a K-50 as a gift and working to get used to it.

Back in the film days I had a Fujica ST801 (35 years ago or so) and back then I bought a used 135 mm Pentax screw mount lens (f3.5). Is that lens good enough for me to buy an adapter for my K-50? It's in mint shape with the hood and case. It's basically been sitting in my cupboard for all this time.

Thanks to anyone who can give me an opinion.

04-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might just enjoy using it. I'd go ahead and pick up an adapter- just make sure you get one that supports infinity focusing

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5 and if it is the same then is fine lens. Some examples from Flickr bellow, taken with Pentax K-5II, Pentax M42 OEM adapter used...

04-07-2015, 01:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just be careful with 3rd party adapters. Adam already mentioned that you need one that allows you infinity focus. The other point is that they can get stuck in the camera (but I don't know the finer details as to why; somebody else might jump in).

Your safest and most expensive bet will be the original Pentax one.

You can more than likely find the lens here and see what others think about it.

04-07-2015, 02:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Kipon adapter is a good 3rd party one, cheaper than the original Pentax one ^^
04-07-2015, 05:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The other point is that they can get stuck in the camera (but I don't know the finer details as to why; somebody else might jump in).

Your safest and most expensive bet will be the original Pentax one.
I have used some of the cheap ones and they can be very difficult to remove from the camera body. The problems seem to be a little spring clip that is intended to lock the ring and lens in position. This clip on the ones I have can be removed making removal much simpler but with some additional risk of accidentally disconnecting the lens from the camera body.

A choice between a $5 low quality device and a $60+ quality device. Occasionally the original pop up on Ebay and the like at a reduced price.
04-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
Kipon adapter is a good 3rd party one, cheaper than the original Pentax one ^^
Ditto Kalt. I have a NOS one that is great. I also have a genuine Pentax one. They both are great.

04-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since a genuine Pentax m42 adapter will run around $50 the question is will this lens compete with other $50 K mount lenses. I think the answer is yes based on reviews. However bear in mind it will give a field of view that is similar to a 200mms mounted on your 35mm film camera. And using it is a little cumbersome since focusing screens on film cameras are better optimized for manual focus than the screens in DSLRs.

A cheap kit 18-55 lens would be a great addition until you know what else you want and these are very inexpensive.
04-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I have used some of the cheap ones and they can be very difficult to remove from the camera body. The problems seem to be a little spring clip that is intended to lock the ring and lens in position. This clip on the ones I have can be removed making removal much simpler but with some additional risk of accidentally disconnecting the lens from the camera body.
Ive used several of the cheap China variety adapters but the trick is to remove the little spring tab. I just pull the tab off with a pair of pliers but occasionally the tiny rivet stays behind and has to be drilled out. That solves the stuck adapter problem for me.
Also consider putting an adapter on each individual lens tightly. That eliminates the problem of screwing and unscrewing each time.....turns a m42 into more of a K mount !
04-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Don Little Quote
Hi. Just was given a K-50 as a gift and working to get used to it.

Back in the film days I had a Fujica ST801 (35 years ago or so) and back then I bought a used 135 mm Pentax screw mount lens (f3.5). Is that lens good enough for me to buy an adapter for my K-50? It's in mint shape with the hood and case. It's basically been sitting in my cupboard for all this time.

Thanks to anyone who can give me an opinion.
Victoria Camera Traders has a couple M42 to K genuine adapters. Give them a call.
04-08-2015, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Ive used several of the cheap China variety adapters but the trick is to remove the little spring tab. I just pull the tab off with a pair of pliers but occasionally the tiny rivet stays behind and has to be drilled out. That solves the stuck adapter problem for me.
+1
Never understood all this hype about "genuine Pentax adapters". Cheap Chinese adapters costing a fraction of the price work equally fine with the spring tab removed. Of course the lens is not locked in position but I have been using them with all kind of lenses (including the huge S-M-C Takumar 500/4.5) and I have never witnessed a lens unscrewing itself and crashing onto the ground.

The only point important when buying an adapter is making sure that it is a "recessed-type" adapter and not a "flange-type" adapter, because the latter type will not allow you to focus to infinity due to the added thickness of the flange.

Cheers!

Abbazz
04-08-2015, 06:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
+1
Never understood all this hype about "genuine Pentax adapters". Cheap Chinese adapters costing a fraction of the price work equally fine with the spring tab removed. Of course the lens is not locked in position but I have been using them with all kind of lenses (including the huge S-M-C Takumar 500/4.5) and I have never witnessed a lens unscrewing itself and crashing onto the ground.

The only point important when buying an adapter is making sure that it is a "recessed-type" adapter and not a "flange-type" adapter, because the latter type will not allow you to focus to infinity due to the added thickness of the flange.

Cheers!

Abbazz
I pay a whopping $3.99 shipped for mine Vs. appx $30+ for the Pentax branded one. +1 on above.
BTW .... we both have the same 500mm Takumar ! I love mine and wouldn't trade it for the world. Have made about $21K doing insurance fraud freelance work in Arizona in the last 18 months. Its one lens that paid off for me.....in fact it paid for all my photography gear !
Its the kind of lens that when people see they know something up !
04-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Just in case, since its been stored for ages -- make sure there's no fungus growing on the lens.
"What Is "Lens Fungus"? Can It Really Affect My Camera Gear?" by Gene Walls | Redbubble

If there is, well, it's probably still usable unless it's really bad, but make sure you keep it dry so it doesn't get worse.
04-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That lens is definitely worth the effort. You should like the aesthetic it gives.
04-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a good link, but I'd argue about the idea that "fungus can spread."

More likely, all the given lenses are stored under the same conditions and if those conditions are conducive to fungus, then it grows. In one or another or all the lenses under those conditions. But I seriously doubt it is jumping lenses.
Spores are omnipresent, everywhere, all the time. Keep lenses stored in dry conditions. Just my two cents.