Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 05:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Repairing a damaged DA15

I left my Pentax DA 15mm LTD unattended whilst at a large family gathering with lots of youngish children. When I picked it up I noticed it had been dropped. The focus rings now turns roughly and the hole front barrel wobbles.

I telephoned C R Kennedy (the Australian Pentax distributor) and was informed the lens would have to be sent to Japan for assessment and repair. This sounds expensive and like it could take many months to repair. I don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars repairing a lens I can purchase second hand for about $400. More importantly I head to England, Italy, Switzerland and Austria in May so i don't want to be without my lens.

Any advice on how I would go about attempting to repair the lens myself?

04-08-2015, 05:48 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there always risk have to repair, if you have local people that can repair it why don't bring it to them, or some member in here can help to repair it

i find some lenses dissambly but DA 15 no one post about it

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/179884-pe...atabase-3.html

Last edited by mixberry; 04-08-2015 at 05:54 AM.
04-08-2015, 06:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by heasley Quote
I left my Pentax DA 15mm LTD unattended whilst at a large family gathering with lots of youngish children. When I picked it up I noticed it had been dropped. The focus rings now turns roughly and the hole front barrel wobbles.

I telephoned C R Kennedy (the Australian Pentax distributor) and was informed the lens would have to be sent to Japan for assessment and repair. This sounds expensive and like it could take many months to repair. I don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars repairing a lens I can purchase second hand for about $400. More importantly I head to England, Italy, Switzerland and Austria in May so i don't want to be without my lens.

Any advice on how I would go about attempting to repair the lens myself?
There is a local camera and lens repair place near me in Melbourne (the Shutter-Box in Camberwell) that would do it. Perhaps there's something similar in Brisbane. You should phone around. For example: Camera Repair and Service in Brisbane | QLD best Camera Repairs and Service | Located in Petrie | Repair and Service all Digital Cameras and Lenses | Photography Course. I know nothing about them, but you could ask.
04-09-2015, 04:03 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
You should phone around.
Good idea. I'll see what's available in Brisbane and what they charge.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It just so happens that I am having one of these sent to me by another forum member later this week for repair of a similar-sounding issue. If you don't mind waiting a few days, I can send you a walkthrough with photos on pulling it a part.

In the meantime, if you don't have them already, I'd suggest ordering a set of Moody Tools or similar JIS micro drivers, since you will need them to open the lens up.
That would be wonderful. Thank you.

04-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #5

Thank you very much!

I had a lens with a wobbly lens asembly.
Tightening on of the screws shown in the picture fixed the problem.
Attached Images

04-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you both very much for taking the time to post this. What a great community!
08-19-2015, 12:27 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I finally got around to obtaining a JIS screwdriver and managed to disassemble the DA 15. It turns out that the screws holding the focus barrel to the base of the camera had both come undone (they were floating around inside the camer body.

I was able to easily rescrew them in and the camera was fine apart from the fact that relay fork had already been damaged by the loose barrel (I tried to straighten as best I could).

Unfortunately auto-focus no longer works. Oh well at least everything else works and I can just manual focus (which isn't too hard on such a wide lense).

Thank you very much again for such great help!
10-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Hey guys, I need a replacement 'information relay fork' for a Da 35 2.4 - does anyone know if this part is available anywhere ? If not, am I correct in thinking that I can strip out all the electrics from this lens and use it as a manual focus / auto aperture lens ? I got it fairly cheaply so just asking :-)

Cheers

10-30-2015, 03:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The fork seems to be easily replaced if found somewhere, else you could sell the non AF lens to a Sony-shooter who doesn't mind MF.

Seb
03-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, dcshooter. Nice tutorial. I slipped on a rock and crashed to the ground, DA 15mm on a K-3 took the hit. Surprisingly robust, but a little wobble now. I might try this if I can get the right tools.
03-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
If you have trouble, let me know. I no longer live in DC, but still fairly close in Lancaster, PA, and I could potentially even look at it in person.
Thanks for that offer. I have two 15's -- the original and the HD coated. I'm going to A/B compare them and see if I really have a problem. I will message you if I can use your help. -- Mark
04-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Hi, I've just bought myself one of these lenses but it has a bit of a decentering issue after it took a fall. After disassembly, I've managed to reseat everything I could, but I cannot get the focusing ring to turn a greater range than from 0.18 to 0.25m. I've tried a few different ways of putting in the spacers but I can't seem to figure it out.

I've set everything as shown in the images above but the ring just won't turn fully. There's something that is probably catching in there somewhere. Any ideas? I'm lost for them!
04-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Quick update here. I messaged dcshooter and he gave me a couple of ideas to test including stuff to do with the brass helical ring and other bits. The main bit of advice was to look at the helical screws to avoid the lens from bottoming out. After a couple of hours of additional toiling, I managed to align the helical components on the lens assembly so that I could get the full focusing range. Great!

I also stripped a couple of screws on the aperture component of the lens assembly by overtightening the broad helical screws. Be aware, the metal threads are VERY soft.

I'll be opening the lens up again in the future to adjust a couple of bits and bobs so I might get to add images to the thread.
03-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #14

This is a more generic response to this thread. I have the (similar basic construction?) SMC Pentax-DA 40mm f2.8 Limited. For years the AF mechanism has not been able to drive the lens fully to infinity. In MF the lens will focus but noticeably tightens at the end of the travel which is 3 metres to infinity (physically 3.5mm which is a very small distance). Searching around I find others with the same lens have had tight focus action issues combined with wobbly lens barrels.

Testing my lens it does wobble just a little, but I have not noticed this before, I would normally consider this within tolerances. The ultimate result of a truly wobbly lens barrel for this lens seems that It will eventually fall out and this is caused by three small retaining screws somewhere inside that have come loose and fallen out.

I have some experience in repairing legacy manual focus (mechanical) lenses but am a bit shy about pulling this one apart lest I turn a tight but usable focus action into a non-working one. The fact that the focus ring is very narrow make the tight action a little more unpleasant. There is also some ‘stiction’ on returning the lens from infinity setting.

I did try a link on Pentax Forums that was supposed to provide a disassembly method for this lens but it turns out to be a Russian photo-sharing site of perhaps dubious provenance and no sign of the dissassembly method promised once inside.

Therefore I can do some of my own experimenting but as the stiff focus action on this lens has been reported before I would appreciate a few clues as to the best procedure.

Normally with old lenses this issue is usually associated with the lubrication of the helicoid. However I suspect that this issue is more connected to the actual drive ring or alternatively loose screw(s) (as noted earlier) that are causing a binding at infinity position.