Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #1

When will Pentax release a fast wide angle lens?

Daydreaming about a fast, sharp wide angle lens for my K3. Something in the 15mm range, with at LEAST 2.8 aperture, and classic Pentax color rendering. Water proofing would be nice of course. Unrealistic? Hope not. The DA 15 comes close of course, but at f4, just not there yet.

04-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
DA 14/2.8 is a vergy good lens and capable also of close up. ALso DA 12-24/4 is superb
04-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atiratha Quote
DA 14/2.8 is a vergy good lens and capable also of close up. ALso DA 12-24/4 is superb
The 12 24 is too slow for my needs. I have the Sigma 10 20, and it's a great lens. I'm wanting something faster to compliment it though. The DA 14 gets pretty subpar reviews at SMC Pentax-DA 14mm F2.8 ED [IF] Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
04-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Does it have to be a name brand Pentax lens? A lot of people seem to think highly of the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm 2.8 lens, according to reviews here and at B&H Photo.

04-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #5

What exactly compells you to require 2.8?

At a wide angle, f4 is relatively fast at 12mm.

Specifically for my needs, anyway, a wide angle angle is really good for landscapes and hardly ever shoot my 12-24 higher than f8.

In the few times I've needed it indoors with "adequate" lighting, f4 and 1600 ISO isn't by any means "fast" but certainly not slow (K-5).

Just curious as to why you require 2.8.
04-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
What exactly compells you to require 2.8?

At a wide angle, f4 is relatively fast at 12mm.

Specifically for my needs, anyway, a wide angle angle is really good for landscapes and hardly ever shoot my 12-24 higher than f8.

In the few times I've needed it indoors with "adequate" lighting, f4 and 1600 ISO isn't by any means "fast" but certainly not slow (K-5).

Just curious as to why you require 2.8.
That's a good question.
I shoot a lot of trail runners in the early morning. So, there's not a lot of light, they're moving (obviously), and I want to capture them with an ISO that isn't crazy high. Also want to get as much of the mountain landscape in the background as possible. Examples: https://www.flickr.com/photos/28805392@N02/
Most of those shots I took with my Sigma 10 20. A great lens. I'm basically just wishing it was a bit faster, or for a prime like the 15 DA in a slightly faster offering.

---------- Post added 04-11-15 at 09:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Does it have to be a name brand Pentax lens? A lot of people seem to think highly of the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm 2.8 lens, according to reviews here and at B&H Photo.
The Samyang would be a good option except for the fact that it doesn't have AF. In the early morning light, I need AF to capture moving runners.
04-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TrailRunner Quote
I'm wanting something faster to compliment it though.
Are you wanting subject isolation for wide-angle close-ups? If so, your best bet would be to bite the bullet in terms of size and AF support and get the Samyang product.* Hell will be a very cold place before Pentax makes a f/2.8 or faster lens at those focal lengths. Samyang already owns the (decidedly niche) manual focus market. Your first clue would be the lack of fast/wide Sigma lenses (all mounts) in this space.

Steve

* You can have ultra-wide, fast, small...chose two and two only...

04-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In the early morning light, I need AF to capture moving runners.
You posted your use case as I was replying above. If you mostly want a low light edge, you might want to consider that that your f/3.5 Sigma is only 2/3 stop faster than f/2.8. You will get better ROI by simply moving to a higher ISO. Alternatively, buy a FF camera and one of the excellent fast options at about 20mm focal length.

Steve
04-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hell will be a very cold place before Pentax makes a f/2.8 or faster lens at those focal lengths.
I think the roadmap disagrees
04-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's the DA 14/f2.8. I'm refraining myself from making a snarky remark, instead I'll ask why would one need a fast UWA lens...
04-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #11

Original Poster
I stated why I'd need one above. Thanks for refraining from being snarky. No need for that. Thanks for the feedback.
04-11-2015, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would give the 15mm f/4 a try. As others have stated bump the ISO up. The 15mm Limited is small, light weight and AF. Anything you get at that focal length that is faster is going to be much larger and heavier. You should be able to shoot at 400 ISO on the k-3 and be just fine. I'm not a big fan of high ISO and I rarely shoot at 800 and never at 1600, but 400 is fine. Push your exposure up 1/3 stop to get a little more light in the shadows and pull the highlights back in post, that cuts out even more noise. Or if you are happy with your current 10-20, just use that and bump the ISO up. Even 1600 is not "crazy high" on the k-3, you just have to PP with that in mind.

And to answer your question: no one really knows. We cannot go by Pentax history, Ricoh is a new ball game. They might decide that big, fast primes are the way to go, or they might not. At any rate the only reliable source says new primes will be coming in 2016. So figure October 2016 to see what they have in mind.
04-11-2015, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the DA14 and find that it's a good lens. Don't think I'd use if for architecture, but for trail running, astrophotography, or social low light stuff, I've had good luck with it. I think most of the pics on the review link demonstrate it should be good for your intended use - just a bit of CA wide open, but that's usually easy to address w/ software or by just framing your shot so it's not an issue.
04-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I think the roadmap disagrees
I assume you mean the D FA 16-30/2.8 projected for release later this year. From the comments, I think the OP was hoping for something a little wider, preferably a prime.

Steve
04-12-2015, 12:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

That's a good question.
I shoot a lot of trail runners in the early morning. So, there's not a lot of light, they're moving (obviously), and I want to capture them with an ISO that isn't crazy high. Also want to get as much of the mountain landscape in the background as possible. Examples: https://www.flickr.com/photos/28805392@N02/
Most of those shots I took with my Sigma 10 20. A great lens. I'm basically just wishing it was a bit faster, or for a prime like the 15 DA in a slightly faster offering.
I'm not sure how much you will benefit. Looking at your 'darker' images, they all seem to be shot at narrower apertures. The 'silhouette' was taken at f/9, 1/400 and ISO800. The 'mailbox peak' at f/10, 1/50 and ISO100.
So what am I missing?