Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2015, 06:43 PM   #16

If you are flying in, I'd take the 50-135 and the 12-24, If you have room and want some wildlife photos, I'd take the 300mm and the TC. If you are driving, I'd go with the same plus any others that seem necessary. For Antelope, I'd try to take a tripod. I have been to Yellowstone, Rushmore and Vegas. I'm planning a trip to Zion and the area around Page, AZ, this summer. Regarding the Narrows, I'd suggest downloading and reading the WIlderness Guide from the Zion website: Wilderness Desk Handouts - Zion National Park (U.S. National Park Service), before diving in, so to speak. It contains a section devoted to the Narrows. If you are planning on hiking this, I'd suggest using the K-01 with maybe the 15mm in a dry bag, assuming you want to be light and not endanger too much equipment.

04-14-2015, 01:43 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks all, I have booked the tours for both upper and lower antelope canyon. Unfortunately, it has to be a regular tour not the photographic tours for our family.

Here is my 26-day itinerary: I will fry from
1) BKK --> Osaka (for a day) --> LAX (half day) --> DFW then
2) DFW --> LAS --> OKC then
3) OKC --> BZN and RAP --> DFW then
4) TUL--> ORD (for a day) --> HKG --> BKK

I will take 50-135, and 300+1.4TC and GoPro with me. The other two or three lens will be selected from either 15, 21, 31, 40, or 12-24 and either tripod or monopod. Up to this point, still not so sure either whether to carry the set of filters with me, might not have time to spend longer times at each location and set up all equipment for particular shots.

Will drop a line or two after I get back from the trip. Hopefully the weather will be good for the whole trip. ^__^
04-14-2015, 04:53 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have fun! I hope you enjoy it and bring back great shots.
04-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Besta Quote
Thanks all, I have booked the tours for both upper and lower antelope canyon. Unfortunately, it has to be a regular tour not the photographic tours for our family.

Here is my 26-day itinerary: I will fry from
1) BKK --> Osaka (for a day) --> LAX (half day) --> DFW then
2) DFW --> LAS --> OKC then
3) OKC --> BZN and RAP --> DFW then
4) TUL--> ORD (for a day) --> HKG --> BKK

I will take 50-135, and 300+1.4TC and GoPro with me. The other two or three lens will be selected from either 15, 21, 31, 40, or 12-24 and either tripod or monopod. Up to this point, still not so sure either whether to carry the set of filters with me, might not have time to spend longer times at each location and set up all equipment for particular shots.

Will drop a line or two after I get back from the trip. Hopefully the weather will be good for the whole trip. ^__^
This is not too bad. I did Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon (North and south rims) in 2005. Took my *istD and PZ1 plus 18-35, 28-105, 70-200/2.8 and 1.4xTC in an attempt to travel light. Also took AF500FTZ. In hind sight I should have also taken my 300/4 and 1.7x AF Converter because for wild life 500mm on a crop sensor is a big plus.. I used the PZ1 exclusively with the 18-35 which in today's crop sensor world is equal to a 12mm AND there were times I wish I had wider

For wildlife I found the north rim better than the south rim, except that they had condors at the south rim. Bit bird, 3 meter wing span, but still a 70-200 with a 1.4 TC wa not enough. Wild life also needs a flash if shooting in the woods. It can be pretty dark under the tree cover

04-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Besta Quote
might not have time to spend longer times at each location
Don't underestimate the amount of time you will waste travelling. I'm not sure if you are renting a vehicle for all of your stops, or taking guided tours, and it looks like you are taking ground transportation from Yellowstone to Rapid City (might as well, you probably can't fly directly between Bozeman and Rapid City, and airline schedules could make the trip take just as long). It is more than 7 hours of driving from Yellowstone National Park to Rapid City. Bus tours take much longer, they make frequent stops for participants to get out and stretch their legs, have meals, etc. and the larger the group, the longer the duration of the stops. Getting in and out of airports is also a great time-waster, even in small places like Bozeman. A big piece of your day in Chicago will be wasted getting to, getting checked in and getting to your gate early enough at O'Hare. When I rented a car in Vegas in February, it was two and a half hours from when when our plane landed to when we left the rental car parkade.
04-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Given the extremely short time of your visit - and the company you have, I would suggest just enjoying the time. Maybe the Go Pro or the K-01+35 for grab shots to remind you what to look forward to the next time you can stay longer.
04-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having been to these places would strongly reccommend the 12-24, 50-135 & 300 + tc, plus whatever else you are comfortable carrying to fill the gap between 24 & 50mm. Tripod a must, monopod better than nothing.
DO NOT contemplate changeing lens in Upper Antelope Canyon, and think twice before doing it in Lower.
Upper Antelope really crowded with little decent photo ops, so be ready and take your shot, dont mess about because some one will park in front of you. Lower Antelope photo tour much, much better, you are largely left to do your own thing and just have to move out of the way of the next group coming through....you can hear them coming so you have time to move tripod etc.
Horseshoe Bend good, again, the 12 -24 will be the lens of choice. Take the river float if time permits, you then get a great perspective from both "angles".
As already said Page is a great place with many interesting things to photograph within a couple of hours return trip drive.
Have a great trip