Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Actually the green blob is pretty rare - the sun has to be just in the right place relative to the lens to see the sensor reflection and even then it is no big deal. The concave lens hood does work and is a nice part of the lens design.

The green blob in that photo is in the centre, about 20 or 25% up from the bottom edge.

Whether it's a big deal or not depends on the rest of the photo, here it's not too noticeable but I've had some otherwise gorgeous landscapes ruined due to the dreaded blob.

04-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The green blob in that photo is in the centre, about 20 or 25% up from the bottom edge.
That being the whole point of me posting that shot. I would be interested to see if this still happens with the HD coated version.
04-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After all my expressed doubts, turns out the Adorama does a very nice job of putting together the deal, shipping - and not quite knowing what they have when it comes to the DA 21. Sure enough, I get through all the bubble wrap and pull out the lens complete with dedicated hood and lens cap. While the cap had its share of scratches and dents, the lens seems to be just fine. Got a good deal, obviously. First impressions are good - and first few images are indicating strong field curvature more so than actual edge softness. Extreme enough curvature that it looks like you need f/11 for good landscape work. No doubt, its a complicated lens. More complicated than Adorama used department had figured out.
04-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Extreme enough curvature that it looks like you need f/11 for good landscape work.
My copy is terrible wide open ...

Have fun with it !

Last edited by kh1234567890; 04-16-2015 at 04:49 PM.
04-17-2015, 06:12 AM   #35
Pentaxian

After all my expressed doubts, turns out the Adorama does a very nice job of putting together the deal, shipping - and not quite knowing what they have when it comes to the DA 21. Sure enough, I get through all the bubble wrap and pull out the lens complete with dedicated hood and lens cap. While the cap had its share of scratches and dents, the lens seems to be just fine. Got a good deal, obviously.
You saved about 100$. Good times.

first few images are indicating strong field curvature
Yep, it's there, but it's never been a problem for me. And it's fully usable wide open, my copy at least.