Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Spare lens caps for limited lenses

I stupidly lost my DA 35mm lens cap in the middle of a forest in Trinidad :-(

I've stuck a generic 49mm lens cap on it for the time being which does the job but I am rather fond of the metal felt lined lens caps like is also on the 21mm.

Anyone have any clue how I could get one if they are in fact even sold?

Obviously not essential, I'm not a collector or anything, I'm just mildly annoyed as this is the only lens or camera I've EVER bought new, so trust me to lose the lens cap (luckily not the lens; I did once leave my 28mm M by a log in the middle of the woods doing fieldwork, luckily I managed to find it again...)

06-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
B&H in the US lists them, as does the Pentax site the last time I looked.
06-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
70mm one fit?

B&H has one for the 70mm but not the 35mm. I've tried my 21mm one and although a similar design it doesn't fit.

Does anyone know if the 70mm one fits? I could just order that then as it will look the same.
06-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
Forum Member

the 70mm will not fit. Why not just get one of those Pentax 49mm Vintage lens cap?

06-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #5

As you're in the UK, you can order one from Pentax User (Pentax User - Pentax Camera Magazine).

I got a replacement for my 77 cap from them.

Quite expensive at around 20 though

R
06-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reuben0 Quote
As you're in the UK, you can order one from Pentax User (Pentax User - Pentax Camera Magazine).

I got a replacement for my 77 cap from them.

Quite expensive at around 20 though

R
(in my best English accent): "Bloody Hell!" That is expensive!
06-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Buy a replacement lens and send the old one to me -- I won't mind the plastic cap too much.

(Yes, this is the obligatory "send it to me" reply.)
06-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

One thing I noticed with the DA35 is that if you put a filter on it, then the lens cap won't screw back on properly. Since I like to keep a UV filter on my lenses at all times, I just use a generic 49mm cap and the original lens cap stays at home. If I lose the generic cap, then no big deal.

I'll probably do the same thing with any more limited lenses that I get. Besides not having to worry about replacing an expensive lens cap, screwing the lens cap on and off when I'm out and about is a pain, so the clip-on is a lot easier to deal with in that respect, as well.

Heather

06-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
Mef
Inactive Account

That's the first thing I've thought, when I got my copy of DA35 : "damn I'm gonna lose the cap one day, it's bound to happen".

Anyway, I'm in love with her (I named her Marianne ) : just fantastic on every points (apart from the cap).
06-06-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

So that's the secret of why limiteds cost so much: the caps are made of a really expensive alloy by dwarves under the mountain, kissed with elven felt, and hand placed, gently, into the box. The rest of the lens, feh.
06-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Go and get a Takumar (or Honeywell) lens cap for those Takumar 50/1.4 lenses. It fits the DA35 perfectly when you have a 49mm filter on
06-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies!

I think I'll try and source out a takumar one. The generic plastic one I have at the moment is really quite rubbish (think it was a jessops own brand one) and I like the push on design.

20 is ridiculous. Even if kissed by elves! Also, I'm actually living in Canada at the moment (which has led to far too much lens buying as prices are a bit cheaper here and I have discovered KEH).

I do love the lens though. I've started craving the DA70, but that'll have to wait a while!
06-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
So that's the secret of why limiteds cost so much: the caps are made of a really expensive alloy by dwarves under the mountain, kissed with elven felt, and hand placed, gently, into the box.
That's how Leica lenses are made, apparently.