Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 05:31 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I don't think there are many places where you will need 250 or longer unless you go to wildlife parks or want to single out architectural features on buildings, etc., whereas 18-135 would cover pretty much everything you will need most of the time.
True in the objective sense, but the OP listed the equipment available to him at the very start so I've picked from among this, taking into account both what he has and the difficulties he may have juggling photography and offspring. I could make a case for him also taking the 12-24/4 or 16-45, but I'm also trying to bear in mind the logistical nightmare that taking a child around and about may be (especially when they become fractious & tired or require changing or feeding). Any given outing could be a one-lens consideration, and either of the alternatives may find him lacking at the "long end", whereas the 18-250mm still has a roughly 28mm film-equivalent FOV available and will not leave him too badly off at the short (while also being faster there than both wide zooms).

IF he can afford the weight and space in his bag, and a placid child who handles travel well and offers him the luxury of meandering gently and changing lenses at leisure, the 12-24 would be excellent as a supplement, I agree.

I don't think the 16-45 has enough extra "short end" reach to justify its inclusion, given what else he has.

04-23-2015, 05:50 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
True in the objective sense, but the OP listed the equipment available to him at the very start so I've picked from among this, taking into account both what he has and the difficulties he may have juggling photography and offspring. I could make a case for him also taking the 12-24/4 or 16-45, but I'm also trying to bear in mind the logistical nightmare that taking a child around and about may be (especially when they become fractious & tired or require changing or feeding). Any given outing could be a one-lens consideration, and either of the alternatives may find him lacking at the "long end", whereas the 18-250mm still has a roughly 28mm film-equivalent FOV available and will not leave him too badly off at the short (while also being faster there than both wide zooms).

IF he can afford the weight and space in his bag, and a placid child who handles travel well and offers him the luxury of meandering gently and changing lenses at leisure, the 12-24 would be excellent as a supplement, I agree.

I don't think the 16-45 has enough extra "short end" reach to justify its inclusion, given what else he has.
I think the 18-250 will be physically on the large (and heavy!) size, and will "get in the way" when trying to deal with a "difficult" child (which I hope is not the case!) but I do agree that the 16-45 is probably not wide enough.

Also, I think that it would be worth considering buying some new lenses if the current set-up is not sufficient and the funds allow. After all, I assume that this is a "special" trip, and so he needs the most suitable equipment for the anticipated uses, rather than trying to rely on what he has if that won't do what he wants.
04-23-2015, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

I think the 18-250 will be physically on the large (and heavy!) size, and will "get in the way" when trying to deal with a "difficult" child
Your point is well taken! However, I balance this against the absence of need to change said lens. Also, depending on income and what the trip is costing him, there may not be funds for new lenses. On the topic of new lenses and based on what you've said and my experiences last time I went to Britain, the 16-85 might be a good choice for a one-lens APS-C kit (plus maybe the 50mm prime for low light and portraits), but from the very nature of the original post it sounds like the OP is definitely limited to taking what he's got right now; otherwise the question would be "What should I buy?"

All this has to be taken into consideration. I've given my opinion on what I would do based on my prior experiences, given the kit limitations laid out at the start. All we can do now is wait to see what the OP actually picked out and how it suited after the fact.
04-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #19
Pentaxian

All this has to be taken into consideration. I've given my opinion on what I would do based on my prior experiences, given the kit limitations laid out at the start. All we can do now is wait to see what the OP actually picked out and how it suited after the fact.
As have I, so as you say, we can only await the OP's thoughts and decisions.

04-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #20

Pentax DA 16-45mm/4.0

Pentax DA 16-45mm/4.0 is great lens for the price and offers good shooting angles for travel, but due to strong pincushion abberations might be troublesome for architecture, outdoors and/or indoors.
I used DA 4.0/16-45mm with K10d, but did not shoot with newer K-5 IIs nor K-3 body, so other members please comment how K-3 manages "in-box" with DA 4.0 16-45mm distorsions.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Do you recommend the 16-45 then?
04-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian

My Tamron copy would have kept the 35/2.4 home so I would add the 50. Then add 12-24 or 16-45 as you prefer and enjoy the trip! For $40 any number of m135/3.5s would be happy to go along
04-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to recap a previous post:

I went to London with only the 18-55 and 50-200 and found use for both. I didn't miss having a wider lens but I often wanted longer than 55, which is where the 50-200 was useful. To be fair I had NEVER had a wider lens (even in 35mm film) for any length of time so that likely contributed. The 50-200 was used a lot less frequently but it was very useful for subject isolation - taking a picture of a statue across the street or a doorway - or a Moon over a building. The 18-55 was the main go to lens however. I would recommend a single lens for most trips that involve public transportation and limited time or a pair of light lenses.

In reality the worst mistake is to take too much gear. You can find shots that your able to make with whatever you take if you have a good eye. You may miss things and regret that but you are more likely to enjoy the trip if the gear is with you and you like the shots you get. I would rather have the DA 35 plastic fantastic and no other lenses than lug around a large amount of gear and feel obligated to optimize every shot.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 04-24-2015 at 10:13 AM.
04-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have no experience with any of the lenses you've listed, but from what I've read about them (and echoing your thoughts above), I would choose the 35 and the 50, the K5 and the flash. The `important' pictures on this trip are almost certainly going to be people-pix, and those two lenses should have you covered.

None of the zooms are calling to me...
04-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
Originally posted by caliscouser Quote Bodies: K-r, K-30, K-5 Trade'em all for one K-5 IIs or K-3 .
Ha, that's not even all of it! There is a K10d and a K20d also...

QuoteOriginally posted by NZUnicorn Quote
12-24 and 28-75. Better image quality again, but more weight and added inconvenience of lens swapping (I would find the lens changeover point inconvenient for the range I most frequently shoot)
Good point. I could see that being an issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
12-24 will be your 'fun' lens when you have the chance to shoot a landscape
This is a new lens for me. I would really love to take it and put it through it's paces. The question is will those (perhaps few) opportunities outweigh leaving something else out of the bag.

in my experience you will want to do as few lens changes as possible.
Tend to agree. It will probably be a case of pick a lens for an outing and that will be it.

I think the 18-250 will be physically on the large (and heavy!) size
Actually, given its range it's surprisngly compact, albeit weighty with all that glass. This lens is on my camera a lot, and it is a good copy.

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
My Tamron copy would have kept the 35/2.4 home so I would add the 50
I really do like the Tamron, it could arguably leave the 50 at home as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In reality the worst mistake is to take too much gear. You can find shots that your able to make with whatever you take if you have a good eye.
Food for thought indeed.

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
I would choose the 35 and the 50, the K5 and the flash. The `important' pictures on this trip are almost certainly going to be people-pix,
That certainly fits the bill for compact, light weight, and the people-pics. I think I would miss the wider-angle opportunities though.

I think this may end up being a last minute gut decision as I pack the bag up. So many different ways to go. Thanks everyone for all the continued input.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by caliscouser; 04-24-2015 at 08:36 PM.
04-27-2015, 03:57 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I wish I'd had this picture in front of me when I was first making my recommendations. It surprises me to see that the 16-45 and 12-24 are both either longer and/or wider than the 18-250. If anything, with weight and space at a premium, it confirms for me the wisdom of taking the 18-250 lens plus one fast prime (I assume the 35mm f/2.4, which we cannot see, is doing duty on your camera taking this shot). The 28-85 might be good enough at the long end but nothing else apart from the 18-250 is, while the 28-85 in front of an APS-C sensor is potentially going to leave you lacking at the wide end.

If you choose to pay that price and take the Tamron 28-85 plus a prime, the prime to take should IMO be the fifty - the 35 is already covered for focal length; and unless Tammy loses half a stop in the zooming, the 35 prime isn't sufficiently faster to justify taking up space in your bag. If you take the 18-250, the 35mm prime is at least a stop faster by that focal length and may be worthwhile.

It comes down to whether you have enough space to take a 12-24 and a 28-85, and then we get back to the issue of changing those bulky lenses out in the field. My choice in your shoes is the 18-250, one prime (my preference is now for the 50mm to give you as much extra speed as possible over what you'll already have), and the flash if it still fits. If you do this again in ten years or so, that's the time to pack the Tammy and the 12-24.
04-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
12-24, 28-75, 50
And the k-30. Sounds perfect to me.

Or just the 18-250 and one of the primes. Remember you are on family vacation, not a photo assignment, right?
04-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Remember you are on family vacation, not a photo assignment, right?
Haha, something I need to be continually reminded! Still not convinced of it, though.
04-27-2015, 10:29 PM   #28
Veteran Member

It's part of why I shoot film on vacations. Pick a fun little well metered body and most shots will come out, I get actual prints to share, and they look great with minimal editing with good film. And I can't get stuck on my phone uploading or peeping since I can't till the film comes back!

I was a big fan of the Olympus XA but i think my zx-7 and DA40 limited will be replacing it.
04-28-2015, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Or just the 18-250 and one of the primes.
Slightly OT, but this is exactly what I bought when I felt I'd outgrown the possibilities of my kit lens. In my case, the prime I selected was the 40mm Pancake, not least because of its small size. Oddly enough, twice now that prime has been The Only Lens I Took Abroad, which may have been a mistake on one occasion but it certainly worked for almost everything almost all the time. In both cases, however, the places I was going were places I'd been often; people pictures at relatively close range were the order of the day, and where they weren't, it was usually possible to "zoom with my feet" to optimally compose the shot. On the second occasion I was actually looking to buy a lens to take home with me, and I only took the camera because I wanted to try contenders out on it.
08-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #30
Pentaxian

And so, four months down the track, I assume your holiday is now behind you and - if so, and if you don't mind me asking - what did you take and how did it work out?