Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Need help with Legacy CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 Lens filter ring size

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello ...

I really need some help in finding what would seemingly be something simple, but which is seeming elusive -- at least to me and my search abilities...

What is the filter size for a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50/2.8 T Preset lens (M42 mount) . I'm referring to the small Aluminum Preset lens -- not the big Aluminium one with a 49mm filter as shown in the lens review DB. I've tried a 46mm with no luck and a 42-49 step-up ring with no luck. I think it may be a 39mm, but I don't want to buy another one until I am sure. It's driving me crazy and I'm hoping the fine folks here can help me out.

It looks like this one (1/2 way down page) ...

Small Silver Tessar T 2 8 50 mm for M42 Cam by Carl Zeiss Jena | eBay

Thanks!!

04-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #2

Pls check 40.5 mm filter size.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
I think it may be a 39mm, but I don't want to buy another one until I am sure.
04-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a suggestion but if you have a local hardware store take the lens down and ask them politely to measure the threads for you. 30 seconds with a caliper.
04-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 T

04-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I feel like a complete dumb-a$$. 40.5 looks like the magic number. Definitely need to work on my sarch skills. Thanks everyone. The quick and helpful responses from members like this is what makes PF forums the great place it is!!

Thanks, again!!!
04-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #6

You're welcome I'm curious which filter are you going to mount in the front of this ancient Tessar? I hope you mean genuine ORWO filter, or another Made in DDR filter
BTW ORWO were gelatine filters (coloured gelatine film sandwitched in-between two layers of clear glass, as opposite to Soviet-made filters of solid-coloured glass).

Or you mean 40.5mm sun-shade?

-----
40.5 looks like the magic number.
04-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was considering mounting a clear protection filter on the lens, but given how recessed the front element is, I'm thinking it's not needed. I'll likely get a CPL, ND filter, and sun shade for the times when they are needed. Or perhaps a 40.5mm -> 49mm step-up ring and use the plethora of 49mm accessories I currently have.

I'm new to the German vintage glass scene and am learning more and more. I have the 2.8/50 and 3.5/50 variants of the small CZJ Tessar preset, as well as the 2.8/50 later model (A/M Plastic) CJZ Tessar 2.8/50. I am currently lusting after a Flektogon 2.8/35 and 1.8/50 Pancolar, as well as exploring others like Myer-Optik, ISCO-Göttingen, Schneider-Kreuznach, and Pentacon.

I've never heard of the ORWO filters and have never used colored filters as I shoot digital and apply the color filter effects s in PP. Time to Google and spend some quality time learning about ORWO/Gelatin filters and my new German Vintage Lens "Addiction". (Who am I kidding -- German, Russian, Japenese... Let's just call it a Vintage Glass Addiction!)

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
You're welcome I'm curious which filter are you going to mount in the front of this ancient Tessar? I hope you mean genuine ORWO filter, or another Made in DDR filter
BTW ORWO were gelatine filters (coloured gelatine film sandwitched in-between two layers of clear glass, as opposite to Soviet-made filters of solid-coloured glass).

Or you mean 40.5mm sun-shade?

-----

04-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #8

If so, I'd go for the late "MC" (Multi Coating) versions of East German lenses.
As most interesting I find CZJ Pancolar 1.8/80mm, CZJ Flektogon 2.8/20mm (or 4/20mm) and CZJ Sonnar 2.8/200mm, but they are expensive and you do not gain a lot from Flektogon wide-angle with cropped APS-C DSLR sensor size.
Pentacon 2.8/135mm and CZJ Sonnar 3.5/135mm were also the kind of glass we can use nowadays without the shame.

-----
I am currently lusting after a Flektogon 2.8/35 and 1.8/50 Pancolar, as well as exploring others like Meyer-Optik, ISCO-Göttingen, Schneider-Kreuznach, and Pentacon.
04-20-2015, 07:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And don't forget the Meyer-Görlitz Lydith 3.5/30 (later branded as "Pentacon 3.5/30").
It is a preset, and even as a Pentacon offered single coating only.

Just as the Tessar, in its day it was nicknamed "Adlerauge" (eagles eye) for its center sharpness.
Wide open the borders are not stellar, but this should not be such a problem on APS-C.

Pentacon wanted to replace this lens by the newer and MC coated 2.8/29mm, but too many photographers thought the Lydith was still better. In what seemed a rare listening to customers in East Germany they kept both lenses on production and sale.

30mm is a quite useful focal length on APS-C, and branded as Pentacon it is also cheap.
04-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
And don't forget the Meyer-Görlitz Lydith 3.5/30 (later branded as "Pentacon 3.5/30").
It is a preset, and even as a Pentacon offered single coating only.

Just as the Tessar, in its day it was nicknamed "Adlerauge" (eagles eye) for its center sharpness.
Wide open the borders are not stellar, but this should not be such a problem on APS-C.

Pentacon wanted to replace this lens by the newer and MC coated 2.8/29mm, but too many photographers thought the Lydith was still better. In what seemed a rare listening to customers in East Germany they kept both lenses on production and sale.

30mm is a quite useful focal length on APS-C, and branded as Pentacon it is also cheap.
Thanks!! Funny you should mention the Meyer-Görlitz Lydith 3.5/30 and Pentacon version . I have those specific lenses on my watch list. I had the 2.8/29, but reports are that it is soft even when stopped down. Reviews for the 3.5/30 are much more favorable.