Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 70 200 sticky aperture blades?

It seems this week is trouble week. After having problems with the firmware update I have run into another problem:

Since I have had my Sigma 70 200 it sometimes overexposed pictures. Today I noticed this again and took a closer look: The overexposure got worse with higher apertures. I started looking into the lens from the front and I noticed that the aperture doesn't always open up fully between pictures. Sometimes it does and sometimes it stops in between. My 150-500 opens up fully every time on the other hand. After fiddling with lens for a while and taking a lot of pictures things got better.

Is this what "sticky aperture blades" means? Is there a way to fix this? The lens works really well (when it works) so I'd hate writing it off.

04-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its probally the aperture arm.
04-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I ended up fixing an old (30 years) Sigma of mine that had sticky blades. Those were my symptoms as well, overexposed here and there, as the aperture wouldn't stop down to the correct stop. I fixed it myself after searching for some insight/direction on this forum. It was straight forward enough, and I'm OK with small detail type work. I had little to lose as well. I wouldn't do it myself if I had doubts about the sort of work. I believe that I searched for 'lens disasembly' here. There are also some folks that offer this as a service.
04-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wheelbuilder_25 Quote
I ended up fixing an old (30 years) Sigma of mine that had sticky blades. Those were my symptoms as well, overexposed here and there, as the aperture wouldn't stop down to the correct stop. I fixed it myself after searching for some insight/direction on this forum. It was straight forward enough, and I'm OK with small detail type work. I had little to lose as well. I wouldn't do it myself if I had doubts about the sort of work. I believe that I searched for 'lens disasembly' here. There are also some folks that offer this as a service.
I am not afraid of taking the lens apart but I don't know what to do then. Did you clean the lens or lubricate it?

04-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Which model Sigma 70-200? There are several.
04-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Which model Sigma 70-200? There are several.
It's the HSM II. No OS.
04-18-2015, 11:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
It's the HSM II.
Aha. I have that one. No problems so far.

I wouldn't take the lens apart if I were you. With 18 elements in 15 groups, with HSM added onto that, it's a complex construction.

You should also consider your camera metering as a possible cause of the over-exposure you are reporting. Try using centre-weighted metering for a while.

And also perhaps invest in the Sigma HA 850-01 APS-C Lens Hood Extender (available on eBay). The HSM II is a FF lens, and using it on APS-C bodies with the standard hood means allowing more incidental light into the lens than it was designed for. Hence Sigma made the lens hood extender for the HSM II.

04-19-2015, 05:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My HSM ii had the same problem and it was the aperture arm.
04-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I ended up removing some corrosion from the blades. It was the last/worst step. I did check the arm, etc. first. Then again, this Sigma was pretty simple inside and I had little to lose.
04-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
My HSM ii had the same problem and it was the aperture arm.

How did you fix it? The aperture arm on my lens works but it looks like the blades move too slow.

---------- Post added 04-19-15 at 07:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Aha. I have that one. No problems so far.

I wouldn't take the lens apart if I were you. With 18 elements in 15 groups, with HSM added onto that, it's a complex construction.

You should also consider your camera metering as a possible cause of the over-exposure you are reporting. Try using centre-weighted metering for a while.

And also perhaps invest in the Sigma HA 850-01 APS-C Lens Hood Extender (available on eBay). The HSM II is a FF lens, and using it on APS-C bodies with the standard hood means allowing more incidental light into the lens than it was designed for. Hence Sigma made the lens hood extender for the HSM II.
It's definitely something with the aperture mechanism. I can see how sometimes the lens doesn't open fully and the blades get stuck in a middle position. And compared to my other lenses the mechanism isn't as snappy.
04-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is possible that some dust has combined with humidity, and make the movement harder. I would do this. Put the lens without caps in a box, with some desiccant, or some rice, if you don't have any other desiccant. I would let it there for two days, and then I will move the lever by hand 30-40 times, until the lens moves easily.

If this doesn't work, it means you had to disassembly the lens. Difficult job. Don't recommend to anyone without proper tools and manufacturer instructions. Better send it to service

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 04-19-2015 at 08:45 AM.