Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #1

Which macro lens /diopter for K10D?

Hi everyone,

I just bought my first DSRL, a Pentax K10D, as well as a SIGMA 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 DG APO.

Since I love to photograph insects and mosses (don't ask :-) ), I'd now like to know what equipment would allow me to get magnifications up to 4:1.

I've perused many a photo instruction book, including Shaw's "Nature Photography Field Guide", and have come to the conclusion that either of the two following solutions may be best:

1. A dedicated 150 mm (or 100 mm?) macro lens. Which ones are best one for the K10D?

2. A 2-element diopter. Which ones are best one for the Sigma lens?

Thank you very much in advance for your kind replies!

Cheers

TT

06-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoTon Quote
Hi everyone,

I just bought my first DSRL, a Pentax K10D, as well as a SIGMA 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 DG APO.

Since I love to photograph insects and mosses (don't ask :-) ), I'd now like to know what equipment would allow me to get magnifications up to 4:1.

I've perused many a photo instruction book, including Shaw's "Nature Photography Field Guide", and have come to the conclusion that either of the two following solutions may be best:

1. A dedicated 150 mm (or 100 mm?) macro lens. Which ones are best one for the K10D?

Cheers

TT
1. The macro lens is preferable.
2. Diopters will work, but they do not result in the best image quality.

You do, of course, know that option 1 is a lot more expensive. Check for M or even K lenses. My macro is an M 100/4 and it is terrific. I know where there are two of them, but they are nearly as expensive as the Pentax AF version.
06-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi and thank you for your quick reply!

I realize that a macro lens will be more expensive, but I'm willing to take that plunge.
I'm quite happy with the Sigma lens - are there any good Sigma macro lenses fit for the K10D?

Thanks again!

TT
06-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi and thank you for your quick reply!

I realize that a macro lens will be more expensive, but I'm willing to take that plunge.
I'm quite happy with the Sigma lens - are there any good Sigma macro lenses fit for the K10D?

Thanks again!

TT
Yes, Sigma has some macro lenses all the way out to 180mm - which would be great for insects, but not so great for the wallet.

06-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks again, Albert - I'll do some research then.

Cheers

Hans
06-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks again, Albert - I'll do some research then.

Cheers

Hans
Don't forget this forum's third party lens database. Lots of real world Pentaxian opinions there.
06-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip! I'm kinda new around these parts....
06-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hiya TwoTon and welcome! Great folks here.

I am rather thrilled with the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di macro. Here's a shot I did the other day of a Sphinx Moth perched at my front door. This is at almost 1:1 - I need a macro rail!!!

ISO 100, f/22, 20sec.
full-sized image here

06-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi TT and welcome to the forums. If you will do a search for "which macro lens?" you will come up with a bunch of hits, as it is an oft debated topic here. For my mind the Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro is one of the best. Others have their favs too. But I own the Tamron, and I have nothing but praise for it. Also check out the Voightlander (sp?) lenses the Kiron/Vivitar 105mm macro, the Pentax 100 macro (Pentax also makes a 50 and a 35 but the longer reach will be much better for beasties) and probably one or two that I've forgotten. But a search here will give you a whole bunch of choices.

NaCl(my vote is for the Tamron 90mm however)H2O
06-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Don't forget about the excellent Sigma EX DG 70mm Macro (0.91:1 ratio). Very, very sharp lens.

Very highly recommended.

c[_]
06-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks very much, everyone, for sharing your expertise! I've done some further research based on all y'all's suggestions, and now I'm down to , but undecided between the SIGMA 105mm F2.8 EX DG and the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di. Both are pretty solidly priced here in Taipei, and I guess I'll mosey on down to Camera Street (a little old street with about 40 shops selling cameras and other related equipment) and get a hands-on look on the weekend.

Thanks again!

TT
06-16-2008, 01:50 AM   #12

Original Poster
Just to let you know how the story played out: I bout the SIGMA 105mm F2.8 EX DG and a Kenko ET set....and now I have so much magnification that I can't seem to find a small enough bug

Thanks again, everyone!

Cheers

TT
06-18-2008, 03:09 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

Great decision on Sigma 105. Have it too and I've never been dissapointed...
PS: is that kenko ET set AF?
06-18-2008, 06:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Hi everyone,

Cheers

TT
I still think the old SMCP-A 100mm f/2.8 Macro is the best macro lens ever, but this is splitting hairs. I've never seen a "bad" macro lens, some are just a little better than others. The old Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 (not Series1) was excellent, I believe it had a clone marketed as Kiron, and the Series 1 version was also excellent.

I am neither a fan of diopters or Stigma lenses, but if I had to buy a diopter, it would be one of the Nikon 2 element ones. Apparently they degrade the image the least of all of the ones out there. I don't know if they make one sized to your Stigma lens.
06-18-2008, 06:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd now like to know what equipment would allow me to get magnifications up to 4:1.
Do you realy mean 4:1 ?