04-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow. That really came out beautifully.

04-22-2015, 05:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
With AF Hold off it wasn't reacting at all to movement to out of focus, but with it on high it was, as you say, brilliant. AFC, 7 point sel.
Great shot. Now you see why I am so annoyed that DPR tested the K-3's AF with all the wrong settings, especially AF Hold OFF.

I'm not clear on which point selection you used, but I suspect it was Zone Auto 9 point? If so, please try AF Expanded Area SMALL next time. I prefer AF Expanded Area WIDE, but the main thing is, you want the Expanded Area active so the camera can track whichever point you initially selected.

What settings did you use for these? Like I said, I use Focus Priority, but I haven't tested the results from either.
16. First-Frame Action in AF-C
17. Action in AF-C Continuous shooting
04-22-2015, 08:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Great shot. Now you see why I am so annoyed that DPR tested the K-3's AF with all the wrong settings, especially AF Hold OFF.

I'm not clear on which point selection you used, but I suspect it was Zone Auto 9 point? If so, please try AF Expanded Area SMALL next time. I prefer AF Expanded Area WIDE, but the main thing is, you want the Expanded Area active so the camera can track whichever point you initially selected.

What settings did you use for these? Like I said, I use Focus Priority, but I haven't tested the results from either.
16. First-Frame Action in AF-C
17. Action in AF-C Continuous shooting
AFC, expanded area 7. I think I will try bigger next time, but it worked quite well.

16 and 17 are focus priority.

I tried the standard dog running towards you test with single point and it didn't correct unless let go and pressed the AF button, this on 1.20. Earlier ones worked much better. I had found the expanded area not reliable for selecting the right point, but it seems much better now. I suspect that the hold 4 is the difference.
04-27-2015, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Had a chance to go out and try @audiobomber's recommended settings for AF.
I was in a different location closer to home with a desert landscape so the birds I saw were slow moving vultures vs the spastic terns from the first test.
First three shots are Bigma on K-3.

Using the expanded points and hold improved the results because the camera stayed with the bird when it passed in front of objects quickly such as this tree

However if the bird flew in front of large contrasty objects like the mountains, the camera would eventually switch to the background. In this case perhaps the smaller expanded area would have been more appropriate.

I didn't see the vultures long enough to to switch lenses and cameras and do comparisons, but the K5IIs with expanded AF did a nice job of staying with bird with the DA*300 and 1.4 attached.

If I can get back out to the shore with more birds in the air I will do more extensive testing and update the thread.

05-04-2015, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Took these two lenses with me to shoot an airshow and the Bigma does really excel over the DA*300 in this situation.

The Bigma would quickly acquire and adjust AF to stay on the plane on either camera, while the SDM in the DA*300 would not adjust as quickly with a fast moving jet banking turning and coming in hot.

The DA*300 does make some nice images when it gets a capture though.

K-5IIS with Bigma TAv f8 1/1200

K-3 with DA*300 TAv f8 1/1200
05-04-2015, 11:13 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have to agree Crewl1,the flexibility of a zoom like the Bigma is ideal for such events.
116 mm

500 mm

05-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Thanks Dan will have to try your suggestions.
K-5iiS Does have an expanded AF setting which I was unaware of.

Looks like I am going to have to explore this further on both cameras and re test.
I will put a note on the first post about this.
where do you access the expanded settings? I mostly use single point for BIF but alot of missed shots--DA300 +1.4TC--maybe this can help??

05-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On the K-5IIs there is a setting under menu 1 for AF you check the box for expanded.

On the K-3 when you press the AF button you scroll through the options and when you see a red dot surrounded by pink dots that is expanded.
05-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

One thing that hasn't been discussed so far, is that for tracking you have to ensure the intended target is in focus before releasing the shutter. If focus is on anything but your subject, you will have a string of misses, the camera will be tracking the initial point of focus. That's one reason the "bumping" technique is important. If focus leaves the target for whatever reason, lift your finger off the shutter, find your subject again and release.
05-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

One thing that hasn't been discussed so far, is that for tracking you have to ensure the intended target is in focus before releasing the shutter. If focus is on anything but your subject, you will have a string of misses, the camera will be tracking the initial point of focus. That's one reason the "bumping" technique is important. If focus leaves the target for whatever reason, lift your finger off the shutter, find your subject again and release.
when I do that it hunts alot & I miss shots that way, I use MF override with more luck K5II--DA300 1.4TC ..maybe K3 is better
05-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
when I do that it hunts alot & I miss shots that way, I use MF override with more luck K5II--DA300 1.4TC ..maybe K3 is better
Sorry, I should have been more clear, I was talking about AF Hold on the K-3. AF Hold will make the focus stay with the original target.
05-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear, I was talking about AF Hold on the K-3. AF Hold will make the focus stay with the original target.
Oh & the K5II doesn't have it...another reason to get the K3II 1st,then the 150-450..
10-16-2015, 04:37 PM   #28

Quick question.... on the bump focus dealio..(I have the K3 set yo back button focus) I'm assuming you keep pressing down on the focus button as you track the moving subject ?
11-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #29

I wondered that ^ too. With AF hold it looks to me like BBF is the ideal way to shot. With that if you needed to you could reacquire the focus independently of what the shutter is doing.