Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Ultra-wide, WR Pentax Zoom

I am starting a thread, in anticipation of purchasing a Pentax K3II, calling for Ricoh-Pentax to produce a weather-resistant, ultra-wide zoom. Several people have mentioned something about a new 12-24mm - and 15-30mm- from Pentax in the new Pentax time line. However, since I have noticed that I shoot more often than not below 12mm on my current Sigma 10-20mm, Pentax mount, a Pentax 12-24mm would not be terribly desirable for me! The very lowest I would consider going for all my crop sensor cameras, is 11mm, but would much prefer a lens that goes to 9 or 10mm!

Having done much research on the subject, I have determined that there are really only two APS lenses -possibly three with the new Tokina 11-20mm (which does not look like it will make it to a Pentax mount), on the market that have any kind of sealing, and the sealing they have may be limited only to the lens mount! These include the Tokina 11-16mm and the old Nikon 12-24mm. Also, my research has shown, many or most of APS, landscape photographers like to practice their craft in wet, dusty, moist, sandy, and changing weather conditions! In my particular situation, 85% of my best work as been done just before, during, and right after a big storm!

Of course, I am hoping that Ricoh reads this thread, or someone in the know can copy my thoughts to the powers-that-be at Ricoh-Pentax. At the same time, opportunity knocks - where Ricoh-Pentax still has the golden opportunity to be the very first manufacturer on block with a true weather-resistant, ultra-wideangle zoom for their loyalists as well as potentially new, outdoor, adventure, and landscape photographers who want to "buy in" to a great, new K3 or K3II, or start out with the very, very capable K50 or Ks2.

I now have a K30, K5II, and K5IIs and the following WR lenses: 18-135mm, 18-55mm, and 55-300mm, besides numerous primes from both Pentax and Samyang,and many film cameras to boot! However, the lens I use the most - more than 60% - is my outdated Sigma 10-20mm zoom that thankfully has not given out, despite being used in minus 20 weather, exposed to rain, dust storms, etc. I am sure this lens will meet it's doom sometime in the near future, and I would be most grateful to have a great and very wide, Pentax WR ultra-wide zoom to replace it! Frankly, it is ridiculous that none of the manufacturers, including RIcoh-Pentax, has addressed this market niche for the APS, crop-sensor shooters. I note that Fuji and Tokina have recently come out with new ultra zoom lenses that, once again, fall short of the WR mark! (or fall short in the marketplace!) Further, many of us are simply not looking forward to a big and heavy FX bodies with a huge 15-30mm or 14-24mm lens attached to it. The new K3II technology seems to provide ground-breaking advancements that really scream for this lens I am craving for...and yes, I am begging!!!

04-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen a lot of covers on the market. So, you will not be limited with WR lenses. And there is that wonderful Sigma 8-16mm. But almost gone from stores, and mostly, on secondhand market. I would go for this.
04-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I have seen a lot of covers on the market. So, you will not be limited with WR lenses. And there is that wonderful Sigma 8-16mm. But almost gone from stores, and mostly, on secondhand market. I would go for this.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention! However, no weather-resistance with this lens and very difficult to source! Once again and another reason for Pentax to produce a 10-24mm WR zoom!!!
I will boldly predict, if Pentax does not come out with such a lens soon they will loose most of the ever-growing, landscape photographer market! IMO, this is a crucial market, since Pentax does not have the resources to support sports and event photographers, and landscape photographers are "low maintenance" when it comes to needing any immediate support services. Further, it seems that third party lens manufacturers do not make or are slowly but surely pulling the plug on Pentax mount. (Tokina has not made any of their ultra-wides and Sigma seems to no longer make the 8-16mm lens for Pentax, etc.)