Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KatPal Quote
Wow- thank you so much for much responses- the exact name is :

PENTAX 28MM F/2 SMC M K MOUNT MANUAL FOCUS LENS
OK, that lens SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database is not the same as the K-series 28/2 SMC Pentax 28mm F2 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database .

The M-series goes for half the price of the K-series (was it a Zeiss clone?) one.

Seb

04-27-2015, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
The M-series goes for half the price of the K-series (was it a Zeiss clone?) one.
The K28/2 was a joint development between Asahi Pentax and Zeiss and was not a clone. Both companies released their own version of the same 28/2 lens in 1976.

Phil.
04-28-2015, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #18

If in doubt whether it's the K or M, the lens' size is a good clue. The K28 2.0 looks more like a 100+mm!
04-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yep, it seems all too confusing...could not they make it simpler and release only one :-)

04-28-2015, 10:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KatPal Quote
Yep, it seems all too confusing...could not they make it simpler and release only one :-)
It says M in the description that you posted earlier. Not sure what is confusing about that

Two quotes from another thread (from 2010)

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
In layman's terms:

M42: first kinds of lenses Pentax produced, for old screwmount bodies such as the Spotmatic; they can be adapted to all K-mount cameras

K: first bayonet series, no actual "K" markings

M: second bayonet series, some say the "M" marking stands for "mini" as most comparable lenses are smaller than their K counterparts

A: in general, K- or M-series lenses updated with auto-aperture contacts, and sometimes worse build quality

F: first foray into AF lenses

FA: second foray, mostly just physical re-designs of F lenses, but also some new ones (I think)

DA: third line of AF lenses, usually deigned for APS-C sized sensors only (but NOT always)

*: higher build or optics quality for older lenses (before Limiteds were introduced)

Ltd.: Limited lens, arguably the highest-build-quality among lenses Pentax has made, very compact lenses for their focal length, and highly superior image quality to comparable lenses
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the real difference between K and M is that the M series attempted to retain most lenses with a 49mm filter, and be very compact. The idea was to keep 49mm filters as a standard to help the photographer in reducing the number of filters. WHile this did not impact some lenses, others disappeared or changed.

in the M series, there was no 50mm F1.2, the 85mm went from F1.8 to F2, the 135mm F2.5 was dropped, the 200mm F2.5 I think got dropped and only a 200mm F4.

Additionally I think many of the wide angle lenses went to F3.5 as opposed to F2 or F2.8, but I am not really sure.

There were some improvements, however, specifically in the 300F4 which was downsized a little, and the 400F5.6 which became auto aperture as opposed to preset.

While some people consider the K mounts as re-packaged SMC Taks some were much better optically.
04-28-2015, 11:43 PM   #21
npc
Veteran Member

M version sells for around $250 , the K for $700-800 lately.
Both are of more interest to collectors than for real use, especially on asp-c
04-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Both are of more interest to collectors than for real use, especially on asp-c
I can very well imagine that they are very useful if you're looking for something with an equivalent 'more or less normal' view; for me definitely more useful than a 35mm.

05-01-2015, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #23

I have both the K 28mm f2 and a DA 21 HD. For touring, autofocus has its advantages and I would recommend the HD version of the DA 21. The K 28mm F2 is a rare collectors lens and has a beautiful rendering - it was made w/ collaboration with Zeiss. If you like manual lenses, you will love this lens. You can also consider the K 28mm f3.5 which is much cheaper and also has a good following.