Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Considering Pentax 28mm F2 as wide angle

Hello Fellow Shutterbugs,

I wanted to ask whether to buy used Pentax 28mm F2. The price is 450 from a private seller. Not sure about it's value as some users raised that issue in the reviews of this lens. Is it as sharp as current new lenses? How is it going to work with digital contacts(as in how do I set aperture/shutter speed and iso). And is it a lens that could be used for landscapes/forests? I am new to landscape area, as I mostly like to do wildlife or simply feature something more than scenery. But I will be traveling to caribbean and wanted to capture sea, picturesque towns, yacht ports, scenery . Also I own the DA40 limited and yes, that one does not fit much into the frame for my taste.

If I buy this lens, am I going to be able to sell it for same price later if I don't enjoy or use it much?

Please let me know your opinion... and thank you!!!

Kat

04-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The price if you ask me is way too high.

I don't have experience with that exact lens but the F28 f2.8 is an excellent lens.

If you go with a manual lens you use it just like you do any other manual lens on a Pentax body. You set your ISO in the camera body and the rest is done like you are living in 1970.

If you get a more modern lens (like the F28) you have auto focus and you just use it like any other lens.
04-26-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree with alamo5000 regarding the price. That lens is not easy to find.
If you need manual go for the 28/3.5 for a quarter of that price. Or the A28/2.8 that gives you aperture control.
New you could get the DA21limited or the DA 20-40 which are AF and might be wide enough for your taste.
04-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #4

Which lens are you talking about?

SMC Pentax 28mm F2 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-A 28mm F2 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The last one, the SMC Pentax-A 28mm f/2.0 lens has electrical contact and when set in the "A" an can use all the exposure modes and eDials on a Pentax DSLR - just no auto-focus. The asking price (if USD) is rather high, even for an "A" lens.

If it is a K or M series lens then you would use stop-down or green button manual metering.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

04-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

28mm is not a wide angle on aps-c. If you'll are agar a wide angle, it will not do the trick.
04-26-2015, 11:58 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it is the K lens--it is a steal.
04-27-2015, 12:23 AM   #7
Forum Member

Hi,
here's a link to a Japonese test site with resolution figures for that lens:
http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_28-30.html

Check out how the figures relate to the various positions on the film plane by reading the text, these will be taken off a FF film plane, also regarding that, this lens will not be very wide angle on an APSc sensor = 42mm which is considered more as a normal FL lens (43mm). I glanced quickly at the figures and it looks a very sharp lens. BTW 450 what, pounds dollars euros?

04-27-2015, 12:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
If it is the K lens--it is a steal.
I assumed we were talking about the K 28/2. It's a rare lens so the price is right I guess.
But is it that good?

Seb
04-27-2015, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As said, 28mm on APSc is not really wide. If you have a standard zoom (eg kit lens), put it at 28mm and see if the focal length is wide enough for you.
04-27-2015, 01:10 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
I assumed we were talking about the K 28/2. It's a rare lens so the price is right I guess.
But is it that good?

Seb
The K28 2.0 is very good! I would not sell mine, even for the price quoted by the OP, which is nearly twice what I payed for mine a few years ago on Ebay Germany.

Don't know if the price has risen recently or if used glass is more expensive in the US in general, but I would think long before paying that amount of money for the lens, even if it is one of my all time favorites. A cheaper offer might come along, the lens is rare but not that exotic.

Also, as others mentioned, on APS-C it is not wide angle, but a rather nice normal view. It is of course wider than the DA40.

To the OP I also would recommend looking for a cheaper model if you are just starting out with vintage glass, I personally like to work manually, but it really isn't everybody's thing.
04-27-2015, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

28mm is not technically wide on APSC, but I still like the FoV. Look here how 28mm lenses look on Pentax DSLRs: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/168895-dslr-fun-28mm-club-...m-lens-19.html

The price might be a little high for an old used lens. I got my M 28mm f2.8 for around 60-70euro. Sure, f2 is a bit faster, and maybe its in really good condition.. its for you to decide. But at that price, I would rather buy a DA 21mm or Samyang 24mm f1.4... they are not the same, but they are good, modern lenses (Samyang has no AF, but has A mode), and fairly wide
04-27-2015, 04:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

agree, for that price, a modern lens (maybe with auto focus) might be a good choice ^^ or you can save some more and get the FA 31mm
04-27-2015, 04:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

28mm f2.8's are cheap and plentiful. For landscapes, probably a better choice. The DA21 may be your best choice in that price range.
04-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Wow- thank you so much for much responses- the exact name is :

PENTAX 28MM F/2 SMC M K MOUNT MANUAL FOCUS LENS

there is so much confusion between types, but I assumed this is the rarer, more expensive one(K type mentioned in review above), that is why I even considered it.
But now I am thinking that new lens may be better option. I was just charmed by the old glass(I have old cheap chinon 50mm 1.7 and I love it's warmth and softness)

Thank you!
04-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Sounds like the M version, not the K.

SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database