Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

70-300mm tele zoom, Sigma or Tamron?

Hi there,

I'm going to make a choice between Sigma 70-300 APO DG ($200) and Tamron 70-300 Di LD ($140). Could you give me some suggestions? If they don't have that much difference, I would put the 60 bucks to a CPL. Thank you for all comments. I appreciate.

06-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
baoning,

I bought the Tamron 70-300 Di LD last year after a lot of research. If I recall correctly, the Sigma is less sharp and the Tamron has more purple fringing. So it depends on which defect/distortion you can live with. For what it's worth, here are some shots with my Tamron on a K100D...

IMGP0497.jpg on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMGP0453.jpg on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMGP1792_flickr on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
06-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the Sigma and from my experience if you're going to be shooting a lot at 300mm you may be disappointed, it depends on how picky you are, I guess. CA/PF are very well controlled. The lens produces very nice pics up to 210-250mm, it just gets softer after that. Shooting on a tripod helps but it left me wanting. I will keep the lens just to have a zoom in the range and it's paid for but I'm not sure how much I'll use it after getting the DA* 300/4.
If IQ matters to you and you don't want to go hungry all summer like me, I would highly recommend the new DA 55-300mm over both your choices. I'm only going on pics that I've seen by others who have bought it but they are very nice pics, blowing my Sigma out of the water. Yes, it's more expensive than the Sigma but there is a reason for that. I wish it had been available when I bought the Sigma.
Especially if you want to shoot birds and stuff, if this is your aim, I think you will be a little disappointed in the Sigma. For general use the Sigma is a nice lens, build quality is ok, not awesome.
06-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree with both the prior posts. I would also agree with the 55-300mm pentax as a better choice if you have the xtra $s and don't need the macro function (which is very good on the tamron). if money is an issue, you want macro and you have post processing software that will remove purple fringeing, go with the tamron. if not, go with the sigma. check these shots with the tamron macro:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29048-bee-clos...300-di-ld.html

i recommend shooting at f8 and adjust iso accordingly to get the best out of the tamron. suspect the same is true of the sigma. both are capable of producing very good images at a bargain price

2 of many posts:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/24756-tamron-70-300mm.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29050-tamron-7...-80-320mm.html

Last edited by ivoire; 06-07-2008 at 09:24 PM.
06-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
baoning,

I bought the Tamron 70-300 Di LD last year after a lot of research. If I recall correctly, the Sigma is less sharp and the Tamron has more purple fringing. So it depends on which defect/distortion you can live with. For what it's worth, here are some shots with my Tamron on a K100D...

IMGP0497.jpg on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMGP0453.jpg on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMGP1792_flickr on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Nice and sharp images!
06-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi, many thanks for your comments.

Murrelet, you had brilliant pics! I can't believe they were taken at 300mm with such a budget lens but I saw the exif... Sigma is not sharp at 200-300mm and Tamron has CA problem in most cases. I will try to have them in hand before I make decision but I know there is no free lunch...

Eaglerapids and ivoire, I totally agree with you that the DA 55-300 is a better choice, even it's a little bit beyond my budget. I'm actually going to Rhode island at the end of this month. After a lot of research, I found I may not get the lens before my trip because the back order issue. Wish the manufacture can bring more to us.
06-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #7

I agree if u dun need macro and have budget go for DA 55-300mm.

But Sigma aren't that bad, u can quite gd result at 200-300mm if u managed to get a sharp copy. Here are mu humble macros with Sigma 70-300mm APO
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/29156-simple-macros-w-si...ighlight=sigma

Edit: The DA 50-200mm is very gd for trips. It's light, sharp and value for money^^

06-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

I vote for Tamron
I've never had Sigma but I don't think I even want it. I think for the money, Tamron 70-300 is very impressive. until 200mm it's sharp, after the IQ degrades but it's still usefull (depends on how critical you are). The only thing you'll have to be carefull with is the PF in high contrast situation. Stopping down helps there a bit...
BR
06-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here are a few Tamron shots...Exif should be intact.

06-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baoning Quote
Hi, many thanks for your comments.

Murrelet, you had brilliant pics! I can't believe they were taken at 300mm with such a budget lens but I saw the exif... Sigma is not sharp at 200-300mm and Tamron has CA problem in most cases. I will try to have them in hand before I make decision but I know there is no free lunch...

Eaglerapids and ivoire, I totally agree with you that the DA 55-300 is a better choice, even it's a little bit beyond my budget. I'm actually going to Rhode island at the end of this month. After a lot of research, I found I may not get the lens before my trip because the back order issue. Wish the manufacture can bring more to us.
the tamron is available for $135 shipped to your door:

Tamron 70-300mm 1:2 F/4-5.6 DI LD Macro FS=62 For Pentax AF | BuyDig.com, The Internet's Digital Superstore
06-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great photos from everyone, and I see great macro samples for the Sigma lens. I don't think you will make any wrong decision in getting either the Tamron or the Sigma alternative. For Tamron, you have to be aware of the purple fringes as it does happen and the Sigma is better controlled in CA. But I am proud of my $90 used lens from Tamron, it is very sharp as many have noted and the greatness from this inexpensive tele macro make up the weaknesses for me.

I will pick on either lens than the more expensive one in Pentax DA 55-300. The Pentax is a good lens but compared the price and the missing in macro/close focus with 1:2, I much prefer the cheaper alternatives.

Having a tele such as the Tamron and Sigma together with 1:2 for close up is a wonderful lens all packaged into one with dual purposes. This is a great lens to bring along for natural scenes in hiking for tele shots for birds, great portrait in 70-130mm range, and very reasonable close up with 1:2 in 180mm to 300mm in the case of Tamron.

For Tamron, you can make few references of blog posts that I have:

Samples from Tamron 70-300 Di LD

Very good Portrait in range 70 to 130mm

Very reasonable close up with 1:2 magnification in 180mm to 300mm
Purple Fringe not corrected

Flying bee, quite soft as I am still practicing on moving bees

Tele attempt on flying bird in 300mm

Last edited by hinman; 06-09-2008 at 12:59 PM.