Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
For example the very symptoms that cause some flare or CAs, might be the same characteristic which creates the beautiful "cinematic" type rendering of the existing FA lenses.
QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
For example, the issue of purple fringing, an unfortunate side-effect of using film-era lenses with digital sensors. It is said that part of the design brief of DA type lenses was to overcome this problem which affected FA type lenses (one example being the FA77). Which is very good. We can see the fruits of this effort in the DA Limiteds for example, which are comparatively free from PF. But what happens when these design techniques are applied to the FA Limiteds?
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
If the FF camera is successful, it's likely these lenses will be updated or (the horror!) replaced. At the very least, the CA issues need to be addressed.
Removing purple fringing is not as simple as tossing a new coating on, for instance. It basically requires a redesign of the lens because the elements have to be changed. The FA 31, for instance, has an ED element in it. DA lenses are using ELD or SLD or whatever Pentax calls them to reduce the dispersion. That greatly reduces the purple fringing but of course, some dispersion creates a characteristic look. Think of looking through a window vs. with your eyes. Things look different through the window because all materials have some level of dispersion. If that's the look you want, then eliminating the dispersion will result in an image that you like less.

If they redo the FA limiteds, I expect they will be entirely new designs that only pay homage to the originals. I'd expect to see the focal lengths changed to more standard ones (30 or 35, 40 or 50, and 75 or 85), for one.

04-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no doubt that they will update these with the HD coating
04-29-2015, 10:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Anyway, the new limited will be different than the previous one ...
Ah, clear now. Whereas I was talking about functionality modifications, eg. WR, QS, which do not affect the cherished "look"/rendering of those lenses.

---------- Post added 04-30-15 at 02:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote

If they redo the FA limiteds, I expect they will be entirely new designs that only pay homage to the originals.
Well put.

And I'm certainly hanging on to my originals.

Last edited by KDAFA; 04-29-2015 at 11:26 PM.
04-30-2015, 02:48 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The negatives of the FA 31 and FA 77 aren't significant enough for me to want to upgrade my copies. Purple fringing can be pretty fierce-some at times and not sure if Pentax would really change the optical formula. My guess would be that they would just put HD coating on them, weather seal them, give them quick shift, and maybe a DC motor. Considering that the cost would then increase by a couple hundred dollars, I think I would stick with what I have now.

04-30-2015, 03:14 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
To me, knowing how DC / USM motors are built, i would say that internal ring motor and small lens are barely compatible.
05-02-2015, 01:18 AM   #21
Pentaxian

To answer the original question in the thread, many have shot the fa's on 35mm film bodies, and ff digital camera bodies already, and yes they look fine.