Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 135mm f2.8 vs. Pentax 135mm f3.5

I was thinking about getting the Pentax 200mm f2.8 sometime in the near future, but before that I wanted a lens that would cover the 200mm range on my K-5II. I looked at the 50-135mm, but I don't really want a zoom especially in that size. I looked at the 135mm f2.8 and it's a bit on the ugly side, but who is looking. Then I saw a 135mm f3.5 manual lens on eBay for about 50 bucks. Its nice and compact and made of steel. Some say the manual lens is sharper than the AF version. Since I don't use the 135/200mm focal length much, it might not be a bad lens to own. However, with my so-so eye sight I might run into problems focusing in dim light situations. Does the M-series lenses have a focusing AID that will help you focus with a DSLR such as the K-5II ?

04-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Does the M-series lenses have a focusing AID that will help you focus with a DSLR such as the K-5II ?
Focusing aids would be on the camera, not the lens. So, no.

Just like 50mm lenses, there are not many bad 135mm lenses. Though older ones will not have the better coatings. For example the Takumar Bayonet 135 f/2.5 is a very sharp, very tiny lens with built in hood that gets little love because it has relatively poor coatings and flares and loses contrast when pointed anywhere near the sun. But used properly it produces great images.

Whether you need AF or not is up to you. I've used manual focus 135mm lenses and they are not bad, I've used AF 135mm lenses as well and I'm not going to go back to manual focus. The Pentax F 135mm f/2.8 is one of the best and my current 135mm when I can pry it out of my wife's hands. I also have the Pentax A 135mm f/2.8 and it is also a joy to use and gives good results.

But you do not give enough details in your post to give good suggestions. A "135mm f/3.5 on ebay for 50 bucks" can mean just about anything. There are probably 25 different lenses that description would fit.
04-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Focusing aids would be on the camera, not the lens. So, no.

Just like 50mm lenses, there are not many bad 135mm lenses. Though older ones will not have the better coatings. For example the Takumar Bayonet 135 f/2.5 is a very sharp, very tiny lens with built in hood that gets little love because it has relatively poor coatings and flares and loses contrast when pointed anywhere near the sun. But used properly it produces great images.

Whether you need AF or not is up to you. I've used manual focus 135mm lenses and they are not bad, I've used AF 135mm lenses as well and I'm not going to go back to manual focus. The Pentax F 135mm f/2.8 is one of the best and my current 135mm when I can pry it out of my wife's hands. I also have the Pentax A 135mm f/2.8 and it is also a joy to use and gives good results.

But you do not give enough details in your post to give good suggestions. A "135mm f/3.5 on ebay for 50 bucks" can mean just about anything. There are probably 25 different lenses that description would fit.
"There are probably 25 different lenses that description would fit."

The seller states this lens is a Takumar, but it doesn't look like one and there are no markings that say it's a Takumar lens. It has the large rubber focusing ring and the ASAHI OPT CO JAPAN. SMC PENTAX-M 1:3.5 135MM logo in the front of the lens. This looks like maybe one of the later models the serial number which I can barely read is 6964444. It is made from the 4 elements in 4 group construction. Minimum aperture is f32.
04-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am looking for 135mm AF lens for long time in right condition and a good price... Your search might last longer than you anticipated.

04-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I have the M135/3.5. It is a very nice lens with an integrated hood. The lens itself does not come with any focus assistance provisions. You can use the camera's centre focus point to aid focus, none of the other focus points will work. However, I find that it often isn't as reliable as auto focus, though I have tested this with a K5 and its older focus system. To aid manual focussing, some people swap the focus screens of their cameras. This seems like a good idea if you want to use manual lenses more frequently.

Also, the lens does not stop down in any other modes than the Manual mode. In AV, TAV, TV etc, it will always shoot wide open. I learned this the hard way when I wondered why the depth of field would not change when I stopped down the lens. This is generally known as the "crippled mount" problem.

Nevertheless, I like using the lens (Except it's a bit of an underused focal length for me). It has a nice swirly bokeh and cool, but pleasant colours.

Because of the restrictions in non-M-modes, I got an A135/2.8 with the intention of selling the M135/3.5. However, it has a very different, bokeh and colours. It is a little warmer and the bokeh is very smooth. The A135 seems to have a different formula than the F and FA counterparts (which one were you looking at?), but the overall characteristics seem to be very similar, and I might keep both.

Damn me, now I have five 135mm lenses. (Pentax M135/3.5, Pentax A135/2.8, Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/3.5 M42, Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/3.5 PB, Jupiter II-A 135/4 M42). They're just so cheap and easy to get.

---------- Post added Apr 29th, 2015 at 09:58 ----------

With regard to the manual aperture, I actually prefer using M42 lenses to Pentax M-lenses. With M42 lenses, you focus wide open and then stop down. Because there is no aperture lever to keep the lens open, it will actually stop down, too. However, there are some M42 lenses that can only be used in the M42-auto modus, and will not stop down if adapted to Pentax - at least not without modifying them.
04-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi hjoseph7,

I have the FA 135mm f2.8 that my father gave to me one year ago, and I can tell you that the autofocus system of this lens is one the quickest I ever tried. The color rendition and the optics are extraordinary but, always a but, it is not a cheap lens ... I also have two copies of the Takumar Bayonet 135mm f2.5 (the cheapest Pentax 135mm's and manual focusing) and one copy is Great in rendering sharpness and colors ... My M 135 / 3.5 is also a pleasure to use with peaking focus on my K-30 ...

If you really want to have fun, a manual 135mm will be nice BUT if you can invest more the FA 135mm is MY recomendation ...
04-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The seller states this lens is a Takumar, but it doesn't look like one and there are no markings that say it's a Takumar lens. It has the large rubber focusing ring and the ASAHI OPT CO JAPAN. SMC PENTAX-M 1:3.5 135MM logo in the front of the lens. This looks like maybe one of the later models the serial number which I can barely read is 6964444. It is made from the 4 elements in 4 group construction. Minimum aperture is f32.
Post the link, or PM it to me if you don't want to post it publicly and I'll take a look. But if it says it is Pentax-M then it is not a Takumar. Ebay sellers often add words to the listing that they think will attract viewers.

Good points above.
Do you want AF? (Y/N)
Do you want auto aperture? (Y/N)

If you want AF then Pentax F or Pentax FA, or the DA*50-135
If manual focus is OK, then decide if you want auto exposure control. If you do then the Pentax A model is what you want. If not then the K or M or Takumar 'Bayonet' models will work with stop down metering or go with M42 with Takumars if you want to use the A/M switch and the aperture ring.

04-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #8

"There are probably 25 different lenses that description would fit."

I think you need to get clarification. The only 4-element 135mm that I'm aware of from Pentax is the 135mm F2.5. It is the TAKUMAR (BAYONET) model, and the lens barrel has those exact words engraved on the rim. Sharp from one-half-stop down. Solid build. Built-in hood. Its weak spot is the fact that it's not multicoated. See: Takumar 135mm F2.5 Bayonet Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
04-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The M135/3.5 is worth $50 by all means. And you could find one even cheaper, I did.

Seb.
04-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gavinhw Quote
I think you need to get clarification. The only 4-element 135mm that I'm aware of from Pentax is the 135mm F2.5. It is the TAKUMAR (BAYONET) model, and the lens barrel has those exact words engraved on the rim. Sharp from one-half-stop down. Solid build. Built-in hood. Its weak spot is the fact that it's not multicoated. See: Takumar 135mm F2.5 Bayonet Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
The SMC Pentax-A 135/2.8 used the same optical formula as the Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5. It had a bad reputation on film, but I think it is a great lens on APS-C digital.

SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
04-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The SMC Pentax-A 135/2.8 used the same optical formula as the Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5. It had a bad reputation on film, but I think it is a great lens on APS-C digital.

SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Boris, wasn't aware that the two shared the same formula. You learn something everyday. I bought an excellent condition Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5 last weekend for $30. Will put it through its paces this weekend. Hoping the flare/glare issue will be mitigated by the lens hood. I'm happy with the sharpness so far.
04-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

what about the 135mm f3.5, the seller is claiming this is a Takumar lens ?
04-29-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The "fourth" Amigo

I don't always prescribe to the more elements = better performance theory but in the case of the F/FA 135/f2.8 it seems to be true. The lens has 8 elements in 7 groups ( more than the A* 135/f1.8) and apart from CA at wide apertures is a stellar performer: IQ, colors and bokeh are top notch, and it has one of the fastest AF ever implemented. Any FF 135mm will be 202mm on the crop sensor.
Until Ricoh gives us a modern 135mm AF prime the prices of these lenses will remain high...

During an soccer match i took many pictures from the cheap seats across the field with the K5iis + F 135/f2.8 combo. There's not a lot of lenses without a * that can do that

I was standing here:

Took these pictures:

Last edited by Stavri; 04-29-2015 at 12:46 PM.
04-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what about the 135mm f3.5, the seller is claiming this is a Takumar lens ?
Like I said before, if it says Pentax-M on it then it is not a Takumar. Probably this one: SMC Pentax-M 135mm F3.5 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
04-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I don't always prescribe to the more elements = better performance theory but in the case of the F/FA 135/f2.8 it seems to be the true. The lens has 8 elements in 7 groups ( more so than the A* 135/f1.8) and apart from CA at wide apertures is a stellar performer: IQ, colors and bokeh are top notch, and it has one of the fastest AF ever implemented. Any FF 135mm will be 202mm on the crop sensor.
Until Ricoh gives us a modern 135mm AF prime the prices of these lenses will remain high...

During an soccer match i took many pictures from the cheap seats across the field with the K5iis + F 135/f2.8 combo with great results. Not a lot of non * lenses can do that

I was standing here:

Took these pictures:

Wow that is pretty sharp ! Now I'm confused ! I rarely use the 135mm focal length, but at time like these it might come in handy...

The 135mm f3.5 is not as sharp as the Takumar f2.5, or the SMC A f2.8 according to Pentax reviews, but its the same 4 lens 4 group design ?

I'm strongly leaning towards the Pentax SMC-A f2.8 only because I don't have to fiddle with any adapters, but it would be nice to have a legendary Takumar.

I'm thinking that eventually Pentax will come out with an updated version of the FA 135mm f2.8, hopefully it will look like the 100mm f2.8 macro, which is a real nice looking lens.