Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just playing around with a Super Tak 50mm f1.4

I was given a 1965 era Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 about a month ago. However it had sand and a dead insect somehow contained between the elements.

I finally had the time to take it apart today and clean it.

Then I took it out and took a couple of pic's at f1.4, to see what it's like for closeups.

here's the 100% crop

100% crop

100% crop

All in all I'm happy with what I've seen from it so far. It's sharper than I would have figured at f1.4

I just wish that I would have taken it apart when I got it, instead of waiting a month or so.

06-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It looks sharper than my copy... wanna trade and find out? Quite impressive at 1.4 I usually stop down to f/2 at least for flowers etc. and reserve f/1.4 for truly dim conditions. I shot with my 18-250 today for the first time in a while, often wide open (5.6, 6.5 etc on the long end) trying to get some bokeh behind my subjects...not impressed with the softness of this lens wide open... after looking at my shots on the screen, I put my SMC Takumar 28/3.5 back on (with the 50/1.4 handy)...
06-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That looks sharp but still has the dreamy quality that only a fast lens can create.

Were these at minimum focus distance, or were extension tubes used?

I have a 1.4 on the way yay...but a different brand
06-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have one of these!

I'll have to get'er out and try her at f1.4.

Ray

06-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
It looks sharper than my copy... wanna trade and find out? Quite impressive at 1.4 I usually stop down to f/2 at least for flowers etc. and reserve f/1.4 for truly dim conditions. I shot with my 18-250 today for the first time in a while, often wide open (5.6, 6.5 etc on the long end) trying to get some bokeh behind my subjects...not impressed with the softness of this lens wide open... after looking at my shots on the screen, I put my SMC Takumar 28/3.5 back on (with the 50/1.4 handy)...
Your a lucky man to have one of these fine lenses Josh,
Even if this one is a little sharper than yours at f1.4 yours is probably worth more.
This one looks a little scruffy on the outside.

I kinda think that this copy spent some time in a sandbox or something

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
That looks sharp but still has the dreamy quality that only a fast lens can create.

Were these at minimum focus distance, or were extension tubes used?

I have a 1.4 on the way yay...but a different brand
I'm sure that you'll love the new lens when it arrives Ryan. Even though it's a different brand.

They ere taken at min focus distance, without any tubes or TC's
I probably shouldn't say that they were hand held, but they were. Just like 99% of my close-ups.

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I have one of these!

I'll have to get'er out and try her at f1.4.

Ray
That sounds like a good idea Ray, You'll have fun with it

If the weathers decent tomorrow I might actually set up a tripod, and go through all the f-stops. To see how well it preforms through the range.
06-08-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Your a lucky man to have one of these fine lenses Josh,
Even if this one is a little sharper than yours at f1.4 yours is probably worth more.
This one looks a little scruffy on the outside.

I kinda think that this copy spent some time in a sandbox or something

I'm sure that you'll love the new lens when it arrives Ryan. Even though it's a different brand.

They ere taken at min focus distance, without any tubes or TC's
I probably shouldn't say that they were hand held, but they were. Just like 99% of my close-ups.

That sounds like a good idea Ray, You'll have fun with it

If the weathers decent tomorrow I might actually set up a tripod, and go through all the f-stops. To see how well it preforms through the range.

So a tripod is the way to go?

Thanks as always,

Ray
06-08-2008, 12:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

A little TLC and presto its alive

cheers