Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens hood part number for Sigma 70-200/2.8 APO EX?

I recently picked up a Sigma 70-200/2.8 APO EX (non-OS, non-HSM, non-DG, non-macro). I sent an email to Sigma to see if the lens hood for the current version of the lens (LH850-2) would fit on this older one, and was told that it does not. I'm looking for the part number for the original hood so I can start scrounging around, or advice on a good substitute hood. It looks like it's a little too deep for the collapsible rubber hoods that I have on some of my shorter focal length lenses.

Thanks!
Dwayne

05-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have just removed the hood from mine but there are no markings on it to help identify, I also pulled the instruction manual and it shows nothing of use. Good luck. Let me know if you need measurements and pics to help identify.
05-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
I have just removed the hood from mine but there are no markings on it to help identify, I also pulled the instruction manual and it shows nothing of use. Good luck. Let me know if you need measurements and pics to help identify.
A pic & measurement of the bayonet end would be great - as well as any markings it might have. Maybe I can identify it by the fact that the later ones have a part number and this one doesn't. Thank you!
05-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have managed to make up some lens hood using Canon hoods as a base for the bayonet mounting. You can get cheap knock-offs which work quite well. Just be aware that you may have to file or cut off a portion of the one mounting ring on the hood to get it to work. I also added a modified knock-off Nikon hood to make a new hood for a Sigma 100-300 f4 after I contacted the local Sigma agents as was told that the old hood are no longer in stock as replacement parts.

05-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you could also try something along these lines:

Vello 77mm Snap-on Tulip Lens Hood (Version II) LHS-77II B&H
05-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies! As far as an original hood goes, I will just have to keep an eye out and go through the box of random lens hoods that the local camera shops always seem to have lying around. I did find a suitable one in the meantime - an older, unbranded, aluminum 77mm screw-in hood with the threads on both the inside & outside of the hood - so it can be reversed and attached to the lens much like the bayonet mount hoods. Deep enough to be useful, but when reversed still leaves enough of the focus ring accessible to use it if needed.

One local shop did have some interesting info, though. The owner gave me some older Sigma lens catalogs (which still didn't have part numbers for any of the hoods, btw). If anyone needs some Sigma lens info, PM me. I have catalogs from 2008, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, and one more that is un-dated - but I suspect it's older. This last one lists an interesting lens not in the later catalogs - a 350-1200mm f/11 zoom that weighed in at a bit over 20 pounds. Apparently not made in a Pentax mount, but still... even back then we were being left out!
05-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dtrego Quote
This last one lists an interesting lens not in the later catalogs - a 350-1200mm f/11 zoom that weighed in at a bit over 20 pounds. Apparently not made in a Pentax mount, but still... even back then we were being left out!
Actually, someone in Germany has had a listing for that lens in Pentax mount on ebay for quite some time now, to the tune of $3,949:

Sigma APO 350 1200mm F11 Teleconverter 1 4X for Pentax K | eBay
05-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, whaddaya know... Wonder if the catalog I have was from before they offered a Pentax mount, after they quit making them, or maybe the lens was never offered in the USA? In any case, that think looks like a tank. Thanks for the link - very interesting!