Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
AF on K-3 Dazed and Confused

I've already perused many threads on AF adjustment and still my questions cannot be answered.

1) is the AF Fine Adjustment on Line 26 for auto focus lenses only? No manual lenses correct? (wondering if setting it for manual lenses if the green in focus led can be adjusted)

2) Those with K manual lenses must set their AF adjustment to "Global" to work. If you do that, won't that also screw up the rest of your AF lenses? So if you set global to -8 for instance on a K lens, then when I switch lenses to say my DA*16-50 it will also be -8? That obviously won't work. So whats the point of using Global? Or is my assumption incorrect?

05-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I've already perused many threads on AF adjustment and still my questions cannot be answered.

1) is the AF Fine Adjustment on Line 26 for auto focus lenses only? No manual lenses correct? (wondering if setting it for manual lenses if the green in focus led can be adjusted)

2) Those with K manual lenses must set their AF adjustment to "Global" to work. If you do that, won't that also screw up the rest of your AF lenses? So if you set global to -8 for instance on a K lens, then when I switch lenses to say my DA*16-50 it will also be -8? That obviously won't work. So whats the point of using Global? Or is my assumption incorrect?
I'm not quite sure I understand why you want to tune the auto-focus algo for a manual focus lens. What you see in the passive viewfinder is what you see. Same for what the focus peaking sees on the rear LCD.
05-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am not sure about the K-3, but global focus adjustments affect manual lenses as well. Don't think a "per lens" adjustment is possible with manual lenses. The thing is that the camera cannot identify manual lenses (and even some third party AF lenses), because they provide zero information. So the camera cannot make a lens AF adjustment profile if it doesn't know what lens, if any at all, is mounted.

You can try doing a global + and then - for the specific AF lenses to counter it. Another thing you can try is simply calibrating the manual lens. I mean physically adjusting its focus until it fits your camera better, so that no adjustment is needed.

And btw, live view is unaffected by focus adjustment, because it uses contrast detect. It should be fairly accurate, especially for primes
05-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm not quite sure I understand why you want to tune the auto-focus algo for a manual focus lens.
I can understand the desire, but am uncertain of the outcome. At best, you can only apply a global correction (see OP and Na Horuk above) and that is of limited usefulness. As monochrome notes, the best options are the optical viewfinder and live view. The optical viewfinder with the stock screen is problematic (poor precision), but many users report improved results with a viewfinder magnifier. I opted for an aftermarket screen (split image) dialed in against magnified live view.

Steve

05-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The issue is that the camera doesn't really know what lens is on the camera for pre-A lenses, right? So you can't really set a specific auto focus adjustment for those lenses.
05-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not quite sure I understand why you want to tune the auto-focus algo for a manual focus lens.
One reason can be to adjust for CIF.
05-02-2015, 11:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The issue is that the camera doesn't really know what lens is on the camera for pre-A lenses, right? So you can't really set a specific auto focus adjustment for those lenses.
The adjustment process is based on manually focusing the lens and checking in which direction you should be adjusting - so it's technically lens model independent. And it's as another user said, it's good to make sure that CIF working correctly.

05-03-2015, 07:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
One reason can be to adjust for CIF.
Exactly. So one question remains. If I change this globally because that's my only choice with a manual lens, will the change persist and scew up my other lenses? If so is there a solution for this?
05-03-2015, 07:28 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exactly. So one question remains. If I change this globally because that's my only choice with a manual lens, will the change persist and scew up my other lenses? If so is there a solution for this?
OK - I get it now. I've never had a need to use CIF - though I often use AF-C with backbutton focus and auto-focus lenses.

It seems to me global correction for manual lenses will certainly affect all manual lenses, and probably all AF lenses as well. If that is correct you would then need to individually correct each chipped lens relative to the new global correction.
05-03-2015, 07:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

On older bodies it was always said that global setting does not influence the individual adjustment. But if I'm not mistaken, there are recent statements that they are cumulative on newer bodies. Test and you know
05-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I use the global adjustment for all my manual focus lenses including k or m42 mount. I used individual adjustment for AF lenses, each one is slightly different. I can use the green hexagon via the viewfinder for all manual focus lenses including CIF. The only restriction is that I can only use the center-focus point; which is fine since I can crop with the k-3 images. The global and individual adjustments could be cumulative or could be independent of each other. I have not been able to identify one way or the other.

Last edited by aleonx3; 05-03-2015 at 08:25 AM.
05-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It seems to me global correction for manual lenses will certainly affect all manual lenses, and probably all AF lenses as well
If that's true, then the only way I see around this is to simply turn AF on line 26 "ON" for my single manual lens and set it to -8, and then when finished simply turn it "OFF" so i don't have to go in and individually set 300 or more AF lenses to compensate for one silly manual focus lens
05-03-2015, 01:52 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's a pic wide open at 2.5 with AF set to OFF. I think I just need practice nailing the focus.

05-03-2015, 04:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Here's a pic wide open at 2.5 with AF set to OFF. I think I just need practice nailing the focus.
Yes, practicing MF can do wonders! Other helpful tools are viewfinder loupe (Pentax, Seagull, or other makers) and focusing screens (Focusing screen com, Katzeye, JinFinance, etc.).
CiF is helpful, too, but it takes some getting used to. For example, it will be important whether you focus from infinity to near, or from near to infinity. How quickly you twist the ring can also affect when the camera finds a lock. And the lens itself can have an effect, for example using ultra wide lenses or really slow aperture lenses might not work very well. I think some other special lenses with really low contrast also had problems triggering CiF. Some people like to use CiF in combination with bust mode and just take a bunch of photos, knowing that a couple will be out of focus, but one should be right. Then delete all but the best.