Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K 200 2.5 as sharp as DA*200?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Now that I've had the K 200 2.5 for a few days now I was wondering if anyone that has experience with the DA*200 could tell me if in fact the K 200 2.5 is as sharp (or not) or = to the DA* 200. At some point in time I'm thinking if I really like this 200mm focal length that maybe I should invest in the newer version if in fact it is sharper. AF or Manual makes no difference to me.

A few samples...from the K 200 2.5

Here's a wide open shot at F2.5

Last edited by Driline; 05-03-2015 at 06:57 PM.
05-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those are nice samples btw. The K 200mm f2.5 is similar to the A* 200 f2.8 optically with 6 elements/ 6groups (the latter has two extra-low dispersion elements) The Fa* and DA* 200mm f2.8 has 9 elements/8 groups. Optically they're different, but by how much I'll let those who owned them both chip in. I've also always wanted to get the FA* 200 f2.8 (due to its faster AF speed, the SDM is somewhat slower) because I'm aware of the the high praise that it gets. Many say its one of the sharpest primes (non-considering macros) in existence.

Info on specs: http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/tele/index.html
05-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice photos! Older lenses are oftentimes as sharp as their modern counterparts. It's the aberration control and coatings that have really evolved since then.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2015, 05:23 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
maybe I should invest in the newer version
Ever heard of the phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

I have the tad slower cousin of your lens, the SMC Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 and it's always delivered results and never let me down.

05-05-2015, 06:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Ever heard of the phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

I have the tad slower cousin of your lens, the SMC Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 and it's always delivered results and never let me down.
Thtats the lens I originally wanted, but didn't want to spend the 6 to 7 hundred dollars for it. I purchased the K 200 2.5 at KEH for $224. I was hoping that the IQ of this lens was equal to your version. Is it?
05-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I was hoping that the IQ of this lens was equal to your version. Is it?
I really don't think that there's much to choose from in terms of IQ, but for me the A series is quicker in use and the just shy of third f stop I can live without.
05-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nice photos! Older lenses are oftentimes as sharp as their modern counterparts. It's the aberration control and coatings that have really evolved since then.
What Adam said. I know I've said it before, but my only beef with the k 200/2.5 is its "color fringing" on out of focus areas. When its in focus, it is sharp.

05-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the biggest things you get with newer vintage lens are auto focus, weather sealing, better coatings (and hopefully less flare) and less CAs.

Your photos are in really good conditions and I don't think in those situations that you would see any improvement in sharpness over the DA *200.

05-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the biggest things you get with newer vintage lens are auto focus, weather sealing, better coatings (and hopefully less flare) and less CAs.

Your photos are in really good conditions and I don't think in those situations that you would see any improvement in sharpness over the DA *200.

...said the man with the Da* 200/f2.8
05-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Nice...

I took a few more pictures with the K-200 today. Unless I really need autofocus at some point later.... this lens will stay in my bag.

05-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice...

I took a few more pictures with the K-200 today. Unless I really need autofocus at some point later.... this lens will stay in my bag.

Very nice - looks like a keeper to me!
05-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Now this just IS NOT RIGHT ! Ive been real good with my LBA for almost 6 weeks without a single glitch at all....... and now YOU have gone and done it !
I just fell off the wagon....Thanks ! And even worse this little "K" Booger isn't cheap at all !
05-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
And even worse this little "K" Booger isn't cheap at all !
It's not a matter of wanting. You really do "NEED" this lens Going back to my manual roots, it's been a joy to operate. It actually feels like you're accomplishing something by adjusting the F stop and setting the proper shutter speed. I paid $224 for this lens from KEH so I didn't think that was too expensive. Although I've seen them sell for twice as much. You just have to be patient.
05-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Now that I've had the K 200 2.5 for a few days now I was wondering if anyone that has experience with the DA*200 could tell me if in fact the K 200 2.5 is as sharp (or not) or = to the DA* 200. At some point in time I'm thinking if I really like this 200mm focal length that maybe I should invest in the newer version if in fact it is sharper. AF or Manual makes no difference to me.

A few samples...from the K 200 2.5

Here's a wide open shot at F2.5

Excellent sharpness and microcontrast.
Though I think it's the PF that kills it. :/
That said, I truly hope the upcoming FF sensor will breath new life into these old gems, as I'd be first in line to pick one up
05-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Now this just IS NOT RIGHT ! Ive been real good with my LBA for almost 6 weeks without a single glitch at all....... and now YOU have gone and done it !
I just fell off the wagon....Thanks ! And even worse this little "K" Booger isn't cheap at all !
Here's one on Ebay in MINT condition only $350! Pentax SMC 200mm F2 5 Mint Condition | eBay

Some other Boob is trying to sell one for $900 on ebay. Fool.