Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

DA70 UV filter / lens protector + hood - thoughts?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So, now my new HD DA70 has arrived, I'd like to fit a multi-coated UV filter / lens protector. I know many of you dislike the practice, but I'm in the habit of installing decent UV filters on my lenses to protect them, and to facilitate quick cleaning of the front element when I'm out and about.

With that said, does anyone know if using the original hood with a filter on the lens is likely to cause vignetting? I'm guessing the hood dimensions were worked out based on it being fitted directly to the lens. I know I can get rid of the vignetting in LR, but just wondered if anyone had real-world experience they could impart.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-07-2015 at 10:27 AM.
05-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So, now my new HD DA70 has arrived, I'd like to fit a multi-coated UV filter / lens protector. I know many of you dislike the practice, but I'm in the habit of installing decent UV filters on my lenses to protect them, and to facilitate quick cleaning of the front element when I'm out and about.

With that said, does anyone know if using the original hood with a filter on the lens is likely to cause vignetting? I'm guessing the hood dimensions were worked out based on it being fitted directly to the lens. I know I can get rid of the vignetting in LR, but just wondered if anyone had real-world experience they could impart.

Thanks in advance
No, the hood doesn't vignette even with a normal-sized filter installed. Nevertheless, I would only use a filter in exceptionally dusty environments or when unable to clean for longer periods (e.g. wilderness hiking). Mind that the DA 70 comes with this beatiful hood and SP coating which really facilitates cleaning the front element a lot.
05-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I do not use a UV filter but have installed clear filters on all my lenses, DA*16-50, DA18-135, DA35 f2.4, DA50 f1.8, DA40 Limited and DA70 Limited. Last sunday i went to the park and shot over 100 pictures with all my lenses and could not see any loss of image quality all were super sharp and no ghosting or flaring.
05-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #4

Apparently your DA* 16-50 is very different from mine: I do like its general rendering, but it flares like hell as soon as one ray of light approaches...

05-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just use all my lenses (including a DA 70) bare unless I want a polarizer or ND filter for the shot. I'm probably harder on my gear than a lot of people but have found the hood to be more than enough protection so far. Even when a tripod blows over in the wind.
05-07-2015, 11:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I only use UV filter when the lens is exposed to water spray (usually at sea shores) or places where there would be sand. Dust is usually no problem, as a rocket blower would take care of it, but I'm wary of sand as it can easily scratch the coating or the glass. For everywhere else, a hood will be more than enough.
05-07-2015, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. As I said, I know people are polarised on the subject of using a protective filter... For me, I'll always use them wherever possible, though I try not to stack filters. It's good to hear others are using a filter and the hood on the DA70 successfully

05-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #8

I have the DA 17-70.
It has a very convenient built-in hood, I keep it always mounted, and, IMO, it is a very efficient protection: an UV or clear filter is useless and can only bring you flare, softness, and lower contrast, which would be a pity as this lens is the sharpest money can buy, with an outstanding transmission.
05-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Thanks in advance
I've found these filters to have zero effect on IQ. Very high quality!

B w Filter UV Haze XS Pro MRC Nano 49mm 52mm 58mm 77mm | eBay
05-08-2015, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
I have the DA 17-70.
It has a very convenient built-in hood, I keep it always mounted, and, IMO, it is a very efficient protection: an UV or clear filter is useless and can only bring you flare, softness, and lower contrast, which would be a pity as this lens is the sharpest money can buy, with an outstanding transmission.
I take your point, but each of us has different priorities and will accept different risks. Me - I'll accept a small additional risk of aberrations from a *good* MC filter in return for being able to clean the front element easily whenever, wherever and however I want, without risking damage to the lens or coatings.
05-09-2015, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

You know the pros and cons of using filters and have made an informed decision to use them. I find it curious that people can't just accept that.