Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Da 10-17

Today, I was cleaning up (i.e. deleting) stuff off of Photobucket. This shot, the original RAW file of which I dumped some time ago, was taken the night B&H + UPS delivered a DA 10-17 last October. Since there has been some talk about this lens lately on dpreview, I post it here for those thinking about spending some LBA dough on one of these (this shot may convince you to never buy one) before I flush the file on Photobucket. However, it wouldn't be hard to re-create, since it's a picture of our entry way.

Jerry

02-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Nice foyer, Jerry. How did you get your builder to fabricate those bulbous walls?

I'm one of those thinking about getting that lens. That entry just cries out for some wild distortion and you got it.

I was thinking more along the lines of outdoor scenics and maybe some architectural shots where I'd have some control over that thing. What has your experience been in those areas?
02-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am considering to get one in the near future, but I do not quite understand your post: what is a problem with the shot that may convince someone to never buy DA 10-17?

-= IVAN =-
02-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i.glisin Quote
I am considering to get one in the near future, but I do not quite understand your post: what is a problem with the shot that may convince someone to never buy DA 10-17?

-= IVAN =-
Sorry Ivan, I was being sarcastic - a peculiar characteristic that gets me in trouble from time-to-time. It's a great lens - I love it. I dont' use it all of the time, but it's cool when the right shot appears.

Jerry

02-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I see... no problems with DA 10-17 then so it stays on my list. (Just to see the specs of DA 17-70 and decide which one to get first!)
02-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jer, I too am thinking about getting this lens (after a 12-24 and a 77ltd and a bank job) I really like the shot. Did you use a cross star filter on it? Or are the cross rays of light from the chandelier and the mirror reflection normal in this lens?

NaCl(a very good shot in any case...are the banks in Texas less guarded than the ones up here in NYC?)H2O
02-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Jer, I too am thinking about getting this lens (after a 12-24 and a 77ltd and a bank job) I really like the shot. Did you use a cross star filter on it? Or are the cross rays of light from the chandelier and the mirror reflection normal in this lens?

NaCl(a very good shot in any case...are the banks in Texas less guarded than the ones up here in NYC?)H2O
Hey Buddy, no I just stopped it down to f/22 which required a shutter speed of 1.5 seconds (I know, I just looked at data on Photobucket). I must have used a tripod . . . . I'm getting old and don't remember stuff.

I've really enjoyed this lens. Not only the funky images it can produce, but the build quality is very satisfying - almost like the three pancake limiteds I've bought this year.

Jer
02-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photodan Quote
Nice foyer, Jerry. How did you get your builder to fabricate those bulbous walls?

I'm one of those thinking about getting that lens. That entry just cries out for some wild distortion and you got it.

I was thinking more along the lines of outdoor scenics and maybe some architectural shots where I'd have some control over that thing. What has your experience been in those areas?
Here are a couple of examples of outdoor scenes I took locally:

Both were taken at the local junior college here in Lake Jackson, TX. I'd love to let this lens loose in a big city - maybe I ought to drive the 45 min north to Houston and try it.

Jer

02-04-2007, 10:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice shots with the fisheye! I'm still waiting for some less windy weather for me to get out and shoot with mine more.

Last edited by Alvin; 02-04-2007 at 11:01 PM.
02-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #10

A fisheye has been on my want list since the early 80's but I never got around to striking it from the wnat list till last spring after the local rep brought in the 10-17 to the store I deal with. All I can say about that lens is wow! If I'd known how much fun you can have with such a lens. I'm ashamed it was on my want list for sooo long without ever action being taken. I've found it to be more versatile than I had imagined.
02-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #11

I have one of these in the mail right now. Can't wait to get it