Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which Lens you would buy for your Pentax K3?

If you would decide to buy one of these lens to use with Pentax K3 or Pentax K3II, Which one and Why, Explain?
Which one do you believe is more reliable and have better lifetime?
  • Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM
  • HD Pentax 20-40mm F2.8-4 DC WR Limited
  • Pentax smc FA 43 mm f/1.9 Limited

Attached Images

Last edited by Genki; 05-08-2015 at 10:57 PM.
05-07-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

All three!
05-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Go for the DA*55. It's a perfect match with the K-3 and is a great all-around lens with silent (albeit slow) AF, weather sealing, and superb IQ. If you need to convince yourself what's best, try renting all three and see what works best for your needs.
05-07-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any of the three.

I have two of those: the DA*55 and the 43. They have different characteristics. On the K3, the 43 focuses faster. The 55's image is just perfect and very sharp, but the 43 has that *different* rendering. The 55 is also easier to shoot with, being faster and has more natural "length" on APS-C. Personally, I prefer the 43. It's not as sharp but it has more "drama".

With that being said, I'm about ready to click "buy now" for the da 20-40

05-07-2015, 11:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If there can be only one, DA*55 all the way. It is quiet, WR, built like a tank and just a marvellous optic - fast, sharp, distortion free and mostly great bokeh.

I like the FA43, but it's quirky. Maybe I like it *because* it's quirky. The curved focal plane, the 8 blade diaphragm, even the coma, all give it a unique character. It's also genuinely tiny.
The DA20-40 is beautiful, quiet and WR, but it's slow at the long end and mine was very weak off centre at the wide end. I prefer the DA*16-50 by quite a margin.
05-07-2015, 11:41 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Guys, please please please try to post topics like this in the correct forum rather than news and rumors

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-08-2015, 01:29 AM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

One cannot answer the original post. It is comparing oranges and apples. The DA*55mm is on its own league as a superb prime, WR and SDM. The FA43mm is a FA Limited, one of the three amigos. The DA20-40mm is a zoom, WR and shorter focal length range..

To the OP: one should think carefully of your own lens road map. A lens is an investment and you want to plan it carefully. One may consider to start smply with the kit lens 18-55mm. After a few months, check the photograhs. At what focal length do you shoot mostly? This will tell you what lens you need...

05-08-2015, 02:00 AM   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with @hcc - which lens(es) to get depends on your needs and what other lenses you have - or plan to get.

That said, the only one I have of the three mentioned is the 43. And it's probably my favourite lens - because I like the results from it, and because it's tiny. Quirky? Sure, but all lenses have their "things" you have to learn to live with.

I like what I see from the 55, but for me it's a bit "in between" focal length. And I have too many lenses in that area already

The 20-40 isn't for me. It's looks to be a great performer, but I prefer primes - and if I put on a zoom I want more coverage. The 20-40 is a neither one nor the other. It (or the DA*16-50) could be a nice WR landscape lens, though.
05-08-2015, 02:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I guess you have to indicate the usage and other lenses that you already have. If this is your first lens

DA*55 would be great for outdoors (where you can zoom with your feet) or for portraits, but is more limited indoors.
FA43Ltd gets (to a lesser extent) the same comment as the DA*55.
Leaves the DA20-40Ltd; the most flexible one of the bunch if you're looking for your first 'standard' lens.
05-08-2015, 02:17 AM   #10

I'll tell you which one you should not buy. That's anything HD as long as it has that ugly Canon inspired red ring.

05-08-2015, 02:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 43 is too short for portraits, not f1.4 but compact and better as an all around lens.
The 20-40/2.8-4 is too slow for me at that price.

Seb
05-08-2015, 03:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Guys, please please please try to post topics like this in the correct forum rather than news and rumors
Ehhh...4 posts and already high off that Pentax Pixie Dust....lol.
We just gotta love um .....and forgive em !
05-08-2015, 04:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have both 43mm and 20-40mm limited, and I love them both, especially the 20-40mm, good for street photography.
05-08-2015, 04:51 AM   #14
Forum Member

DA*55 of course

This is a very good lens. Big aperture, quiet focus, high picture quality.
Many of my best pictures, is taken when i decide for one lens with fixed focal length. In those situations itīs easier to concentrate on look for motives that best fit the lens.
Zoom lenses often make me use lot of time and concentration on zooming inn and out, and this often result in poorer result.
This is my next lens on my wish list.
05-08-2015, 05:31 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I would have to put aside my current lust for the widest practical aperture and knock the 55 out of contention at once. On a APS-C body it's too long to do all-round duty. The 43 is also just on the long side of normal, but I've taken my 40mm Pancake around the world as my Only Lens and it didn't work out too badly (plus you have complete full-frame and manual back-compatibility if for some reason you need to switch to a film body).

Which brings us to the 20-40 - it has the flexibility of a zoom with a reasonably wide and fast short end (faster than any kit lens, if only by half a stop) plus the WR Limited factor. OTOH I'm spoiled by my 40mm pancake being a stop faster at the long end than this zoom plus much smaller. Against that, the 21mm Limited prime is marginally slower and the 35mm non-limited is only marginally faster. On paper, this would have to be my choice for maximum flexibility.

BUT... there is the whole autofocus drive question. And that DC... I'm not ready to give up screw-drive just yet.