Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Manual lens question

My book and courses say when using the manual lens I should be queried on the F stop.

But when I use it does not do that.

What am I doing wrong ?

Trying to use the radioactive 1.4 50

05-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

I'm not clear what you mean by "queried on the F stop".

With manual focus lenses without electrical contacts stop-down metering is used in manual mode. With a screwmount lens you have to stop down the lens manually to the f-stop you want to shoot with and take an exposure reading through the lens. On nearly all Pentex DSLR pressing the green button will do this setting the shutter speed. On flagship models such as the K5 or K3 activating the DOF preview will meter through the lens and turn on the exposure bars and you can adjust the exposure with the eDial for shutter speed or the f-stop with the aperture ring on the lens.

Since there is no mechanical linkage to transfer the f-stop setting from the lens to the DSLR body the f-stop is shown as "F --" in the viewfinder.

Refer to the following:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/100260-man...ic-lenses.html
05-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
My book and courses say when using the manual lens I should be queried on the F stop. But when I use it does not do that. What am I doing wrong ? Trying to use the radioactive 1.4 50
Not sure what you mean either. When you put a manual (as in no contacts) lens on the camera will ask you for the focal length, not the F- Stop. Is that what you mean? If so, note that it will NOT ask if you have SR turned off or are in any of the shooting modes that automatically turn it off.

If that's not your question please clarify.
05-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I meant focal length. I'm bad with the terms. But the directions shows a menu.

05-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You need to turn on the Shake Reduction to get asked that. Turn on Shake Reduction, turn the camera off, then on again, and watch the LCD. You will be asked to set the focal length. Note that almost every button on your camera will bypass it and leave it at whatever it was last time. You need to mount the lens with the camera off, which is a very good idea to reduce the dust levels on the sensor by the way, then when you turn the camera on you will be asked. Only once, and only until you click something.
05-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I meant focal length. I'm bad with the terms. But the directions shows a menu.
As noted this will only show if you have SR turned on and will only show until you hit a button (any button). And SR can be turned off by the camera automatically if you are in some shooting modes such as remote, timer and maybe some others. So if you are in the remote mode for example you will not get asked the focal length question.

You can however set the focal length in the menu manually if you want.

Note that this entry of focal length is only used by the SR system to determine the proper SR amounts. However, it has the added benefit (very important for manual lens users) of posting that focal length in the EXIF information so you can often determine what manual lens was used by checking the focal length in the EXIF.
05-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #7

Yes, shake reduction on, manual focus lens attached. Will come up with focal length options. Should be set to equal or next shorter focal length of lens. Can be access from the first menu set, very last option (quick access - menu button - controller up).

As I recall Nikon asks for min and max apertures. I don't know about Canon. Could be your source of confusion.