Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #16

I would say fa 43 is my first pick but you have a 50... so Id go with the 77 or at least the da 70. But if you can afford it go for 77, and if you can afford some more go for the 31. If you like macro go for the fa 100 no doubt.

05-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #17
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I like my 43 more than I like my 31. Mostly because it hasn't fallen apart like the 31 has, but also because it's an excellent lens.

But then there are lots of wonderful lenses out there. There is no law saying you must end up with limiteds in your bag, and nothing stopping you from getting superb results with other lenses. It's all about learning to work around any given lens' quirks and weaknesses - and yes, the limiteds have them, too!
05-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I wonder...
Could you live with one camera body and the FA31 alone?

Yes I could. I really never thought I could say that, but the FA 31 is just that good to me. This is for an APSC body.

(oh yeah that's another bonus, your FA 31 will be FF compatible!)

But if and when Tamron releases (or Pentax rebadges and releases) the 16-300 "wr" in K-mount, then I would have to think a bit on the choice. I would still probably end up with the FA 31 though.
05-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't say without knowing what you like to shoot. You're missing a macro and that's a massive "no-no" to me, but if you're a street shooter, it may be no big thang, ya know?

05-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Buy them all
That's just plain Promiscuous ! Widely accepted behavior here....lol
05-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Definitely missing a macro.. That's a consideration with the Sigma 70 or the DFA 100.
But the FA ltds look like a solid addition.
05-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently got a DA 70 and it's very nice. I already have the 15 and 40 which are both great, especially the 15.
In fact if you don't have the 15 I think you should just get that. It's a pretty unique lens and a favorite of mine. Check out the mind control thread for endless samples.

05-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Only criteria: It must be a prime! There is no cost restraint; but if your suggestion is a FA* 600mm F4... Please list an additional lens that the average enthusiast can afford too!
Er, if your yearning for another lens is that indefinite, maybe just postpone your decision and go on shooting what you have, until you see a little clearer what limits your photography? To offer meaningful advice beyond that, one would need more information about your shooting and subject preferences.

If the main motivation is to collect lenses, well, get whatever your heart desires and your credit can buy. (I'm not saying this to patronize, but because I think that being clear about your motives for wanting another lens would really help you with the decision.)
05-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Much as I love my two Samyang manual lenses, if I wasn't restrained by that silly 'money' factor I'd grab one of the Limiteds in a heartbeat.

I did pick up the Samyang 35mm and 85mms a while back and as far as IQ goes compared to what I paid, I'd do it all over again with the same budget. If autofocus and size aren't critical factors, I recommend both. Together they don't even add up to the cost of one Limited.
05-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #25

I have a couple Rokinon/Samyang/whatever lenses I really like. Regardless, you might want to consider a macro. Pentax has quite a few, Sigma has the very sharp 70mm EX DG macro, etc.. The good news is that these lenses can double as a portrait lens for use indoors or (if fast enough) outdoors...like getting two lenses in one. I own both the Sigma 70mm F/2.8 and the Pentax M 100mm f/4. I think f/4 is a bit slow for outdoor portraits (depending on the bokeh you are looking for) so you may want a faster version, but for macro work it is sharp and relatively inexpensive. The Sigma is sharp corner to corner, even wide open. It is an amazing lens.

Last edited by quant2325; 05-08-2015 at 03:34 PM.
05-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
This is the only answer.

When I first started reading about all these lenses, I was hesitant about all the "hype" surrounding this lens.

Then I managed to snag one this past holiday season. The hype is true!

Solid sexy build, super sharp, even wide open. It is of a size and weight that won't constantly penalize you. No fussy lens hoods to deal with either. It's the perfect focal length on APSC. It excels in all situations (portraiture, product shots, event work, landscapes, travel, general walkaround).

It's pricey, but it will kill your LBA dead because it will replace so many lenses.
Agree.
05-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I'd say go for the 40 limited. I really enjoy mine and the lens appears to have few weaknesses. Maybe a little long for some, but if you are like me you will be looking for something to force composing a little tighter anyway. Some of my best photos are with that lens.
05-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You don't have a normal prime.

If you want bang for your buck - DA35/2.4
If you're missing your macro and have a bit more cash - DA35/2.8 macro limited
If you want the full-immersion Pentax experience - FA31

That is all.
05-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I first read your original post I was thinking what several others have already said. You are missing a fast prime in the APSC standard range like 28, 35 K, M, A or that FA 31. That, and a macro would round out your gear nicely for most general purposes.
05-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok so FA31 and Sigma 70 macro are officially on my list. Now I just need the $1000+ to fund these purchases...