Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Maybe I missed it, but my question to the OP is, "Why do you want a prime? What is it you want to gain?"
Good question, maybe I should have elaborated from the beginning... Woops!

I want something fast and sharp... I mean Sharp!
My fiancée is an artist and I want something that will be useful for documenting her paintings. It must be sharp, corner to corner. And I figured between 24mm and 100mm will provide the least amount of distortion. My zooms just aren't cutting it for documenting her work.

05-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For documenting paintings, depending on the scale, the dfa 50mm macro is probably the best option.
05-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote

My fiancée is an artist and I want something that will be useful for documenting her paintings. It must be sharp, corner to corner. And I figured between 24mm and 100mm will provide the least amount of distortion. My zooms just aren't cutting it for documenting her work.
I stand by the Tamron 90mm Macro. Tamron SP Adaptall-2 90mm F/2.5 Model 52B Might be a little awkward to get the right distance to use it, but god damn is it sharp. And at f 2.5, It's not too bad. Not a 1.4 or anything, but those tend to get sorta soft anyways.This is pretty much solid all the way through its speed range.

I might also be biased as I just got one, and It's been on the camera for the last few days.
05-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #49
Veteran Member

My fiancée is an artist and I want something that will be useful for documenting her paintings.
It depends on how far you can step back. DA35Ltd or DFA50 are more than likely the right candidates to take photos of paintings.

Last edited by sterretje; 05-11-2015 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Fied mistake; changed DFA100 to DFA50
05-10-2015, 11:47 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Get a macro lens, UAD, sharp with a flat field of curvature so you can reproduce the paintings' surfaces.
05-11-2015, 06:02 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Get a macro lens, UAD, sharp with a flat field of curvature so you can reproduce the paintings' surfaces.
Sorry for my ignorance... What is UAD?

---------- Post added 05-11-15 at 09:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
It depends on how far you can step back. DA35Ltd or DFA50 are more than likely the right candidates to take photos of paintings.
I saw there was a 35 LTD in the marketplace for $339 or so?
Is that a good deal?

---------- Post added 05-11-15 at 09:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote

You're loving that 8-16 aren't you?
I'm coming to the frightening and forthcoming realization that the Sigma 8-16 will not last long in my bag...
This lens is a beast; a true species of its own. But unfortunately I don't have much practical use for it beside a few trips I have planned for this year.

I hate the fact that I'm even typing this right now...
But reality is, the 8-16 is worth more to someone else. And it would certainly fund the prime I'm looking for...

I hate making decisions like this...
05-11-2015, 06:18 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty sure it's Ultra Absorbent Diaper. Not that I would personally know or anything.......

05-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #53
Veteran Member

-
I'd wager clackers referring to your handle
05-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #54
Veteran Member

How big are her paintings, and what kind of distance do you need (i.e. do you only have a few feet to work with). I'd be willing to say that something in the range of 28mm to 50mm would work great, and typically not be budget breakers either.
Probably best bet... DA 35mm f/2 or DA 35mm f/2.8 macro. The macro may be best suited here.

I've found primes to typically be VERY sharp (the 3 that I have - Sigma 28mm f/2.8 mini wide II, Pentax M 50/f1.4 and Rokinon 85mm f/1.4). The hardest part with something at the long end (85mm) is getting enough room to shoot what you need.

Are the paintings < 8x10 or do they go up to be something like 4'x6' ?
With my 85mm, I need to be ~12' away to shoot something that's 3'x2' to fill the frame.
05-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
How big are her paintings, and what kind of distance do you need (i.e. do you only have a few feet to work with). I'd be willing to say that something in the range of 28mm to 50mm would work great, and typically not be budget breakers either.
Probably best bet... FA 31mm LTD.

I've found primes to typically be VERY sharp (the 3 that I have - Sigma 28mm f/2.8 mini wide II, Pentax M 50/f1.4 and Rokinon 85mm f/1.4). The hardest part with something at the long end (85mm) is getting enough room to shoot what you need.

Are the paintings < 8x10 or do they go up to be something like 4'x6' ?
With my 85mm, I need to be ~12' away to shoot something that's 3'x2' to fill the frame.
Her work ranges from the size of a post it note, to the size of a single bed...
But the majority is around 10x12.

So I think I need to test out more with the lenses I currently have...
I've never actually tested my Rikenon 50mm f1.7, I paid $20 for the lens to play with reversing on tubes for macro... I never thought it'd be sharp enough to document her work but now I definitely need to try it out.
It seems a lot of people here think the appropriate FL is between 24mm and 85mm. With my fast 50 in that range and being 1.7, I think it'll be fast enough to capture shooting her work indoors.

I'll report back! lol

But I still may look into that Sigma 30mm f1.4

Something about that lens just tempts me...
05-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I'd wager clackers referring to your handle
Well picked, er, DP. :-)
05-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Her work ranges from the size of a post it note, to the size of a single bed...
But the majority is around 10x12.

So I think I need to test out more with the lenses I currently have...
I've never actually tested my Rikenon 50mm f1.7, I paid $20 for the lens to play with reversing on tubes for macro... I never thought it'd be sharp enough to document her work but now I definitely need to try it out.
It seems a lot of people here think the appropriate FL is between 24mm and 85mm. With my fast 50 in that range and being 1.7, I think it'll be fast enough to capture shooting her work indoors.

I'll report back! lol

But I still may look into that Sigma 30mm f1.4

Something about that lens just tempts me...
50mm should work. There's a lot of low cost 50mm lenses out there, and many are not that expensive. I have an old Cosina 50mm f/2 lens that I picked up for $7, and an even better Pentax M 50mm f/1.4 that I picked up for $70. Since you're looking for art work photography, a low cost manual shouldn't be an issue. My favorite lenses are my old manual primes - Sigma 28mm f/2.8 ($30) and Pentax M 50mm f/1.4 ($70). Rokinon/Samyang also have some nice manual (with A setting!) that fit in this range. If you happen to be in SoCal, check out the Pasadena Camera show this coming weekend - they do have some old M, A and M-42 lenses. Try your 50mm Rikenon, and see what you need from there, or where its lacking (or if it is).
05-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #58
Veteran Member

How about a 35 Limited? Years ago, a PF member here stated he wanted to go back to his first hobby love - being an artist. But, he wanted to capture scenes and photos of art projects, so retained the 35 Limited as his "sketch pad". Others here praised him for his choice, at that time.
05-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
How about a 35 Limited? Years ago, a PF member here stated he wanted to go back to his first hobby love - being an artist. But, he wanted to capture scenes and photos of art projects, so retained the 35 Limited as his "sketch pad". Others here praised him for his choice, at that time.
I've considered...

On the completely opposite as this thread originally had intended; I ended up buying that Bigma from a member this morning.

So looks like I'll need to hold off on future purchase of prime lenses,

I did test out the 50mm F1.7 though and it does a fantastic job for now.
As she finishes up her next few pieces we will really be able to tell how the fast 50 is performing and what we want from out next lens.
05-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I've considered...

On the completely opposite as this thread originally had intended; I ended up buying that Bigma from a member this morning.

So looks like I'll need to hold off on future purchase of prime lenses,

I did test out the 50mm F1.7 though and it does a fantastic job for now.
As she finishes up her next few pieces we will really be able to tell how the fast 50 is performing and what we want from out next lens.
Awesome! I've found fast 28mm - 50mm to be great primes in general. 50mm being a general use, short tele, while the 28mm is for landscape / close up stuff. Once I get beyond 50mm and manual with a large aperture, I need a tripod, or I'm OOF.