Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
If you are seriously interested in repairing it/getting it repaired, drop me a PM. It's probably too advanced for a complete novice, but if you have some experience with lens repair, I could walk you through it.

Thank you for the kind offer. But I decided to send the lens back to the seller for a refund rather than have the separation repaired.

I have no doubt that I'll be eventually getting another copy of this lens. From my brief testing, the bokeh it produces wide open is just beautiful.

10-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
The man who repairs my Pentax cameras and lenses is one of the leading experts in the USA in Pentax repairs.

I recently purchased a supposedly mint Pentax smc 50mm f1.2 k mount lens. Upon inspection, I found unusual markings inside the lens all along the outer edge of the glass (see photos).

Initially I thought that it might be mold, however I had never seen mold look quite like this before. I called my Pentax repair person and explained the concern. He declared that it was not mold, rather it was "optics separation"; and that can not be repaired.

He also said that this model Pentax lens often exhibits this problem and that he has seen a number of Pentax smc 50mm f1.2 k mount lenses with this malady.

Just thought that you might be interested in this just in case you are considering a purchase of this particular lens in the future.
Hi, Fenwoodian
Could you please repost your photos? My A85/1.4 has the similar issue, but I am not very sure whether it is mold or group elements separation. Thanks.
05-28-2018, 04:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Hello,

I resurect this thread as I am interested in knowing who could fix lens separation, knowing focal points have closed...

Thank you
05-28-2018, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Seems to me, that if you send it to Eric and have it fixed by him you would have a perfect Lens.I would send it to him, or probable fix it my self. You probable could do it also just remember to mark the Lens for perfect centering and collimation. PS send it to Eric as he is Pentax certified. Good Luck

05-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Seems to me, that if you send it to Eric and have it fixed by him you would have a perfect Lens.I would send it to him, or probable fix it my self. You probable could do it also just remember to mark the Lens for perfect centering and collimation. PS send it to Eric as he is Pentax certified. Good Luck
Great advice. Thank you.

I did not know that Eric worked on lenses. I just thought that he worked on old Pentax "film" bodies.

Also, I seem to recall that every time I read any thread that mentioned Eric, that he was saying that he's all booked up and any new jobs that come in will have a long wait.

Please correct me if wrong on any of the above assumptions...
05-29-2018, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did not know that Eric worked on lenses. I just thought that he worked on old Pentax "film" bodies.
He has repaired a number of lenses for me. 4 or 5 maybe.. Including one with lens separation. I have been pleased with his work. I do not know anything about him being booked up but I know he is retired so he may only take so much work.

I think @DCshooter does similar work but you would need to ask him.

There is also Advance Camera in Portland Oregon
05-29-2018, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great advice. Thank you.

Also, I seem to recall that every time I read any thread that mentioned Eric, that he was saying that he's all booked up and any new jobs that come in will have a long wait.

Seems someone beat to the correct answer, But I know he would also center the lens and collimate it. Either way good luck. Alternately you could shoot DCShooter a pm.

05-30-2018, 05:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Just to be sure we speak about this Eric right?

Home-Pentaxs
05-30-2018, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great advice. Thank you.

Yep Eric will also fix Pentax lenses in the 35mm, 645 & 6x7 formats. (He has done CLA's on numerous Pentax lenses for me)

What he won't work on is DSLR's and the 67ii bodies. Email him with what you are wanting to get fixed and he will respond in a couple days. Yes he is busy, but his work is excellent.

Phil.

---------- Post added 30-05-18 at 08:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Alternately you could shoot DCShooter a pm.
I believe he is no longer on the forum??

Phil.
05-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Just to be sure we speak about this Eric right?
That is correct.
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I believe he is no longer on the forum??
That is sad if true. His work with re-anodizing lenses was truly amazing.