Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Disassembling - Takin' Apart - The K f1.2 50mm

My f1.2 K 50 got dropped last week, and while this isn't the first knock it's taken in its long life, the damage has become annoying.

The focus ring has been dented slightly, which causes it to rub up against the lens barrel of the front element, making focussing a lot stiffer and harder to do.

Apart from that, there's a lot of dust and fungus insided the lens, which I'd like to clean off.

I've googled hither and yon for tips on disassembling this lens, but all my hits seem to turn up something involving the repair of either "Canon" or "Summicron" lenses.

Please, any help? And not of the "Send it to Jack McWiggenstein in Sausalito!" kind, as this lens cost me $25 and the postage wouldn't be worth it.

06-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is the link I used to figure out how to clean my screw mount lenses.
I understand that all the older Pentax glass is very similar, but I won't promise it

With my 50mm f1.4 the retaining ring was on there way to tight to take off with conventional methods.
And since the lens wasn't exactly in prestein condition I ended up using a dremal to add a small notch. allowing me to get a firm grasp on it with a jewelers screwdriver.
It might not look pretty, but it worked
06-09-2008, 06:07 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
My f1.2 K 50 .....

Please, any help? And not of the "Send it to Jack McWiggenstein in Sausalito!" kind, as this lens cost me $25 and the postage wouldn't be worth it.
I would still recommend Jack McWiggenstein, in cleaned up condition this lens goes for at least $200 and usually much more... if it's definitely 1.2 and not 1:2.
06-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure that lithos knows the difference between a f1.2 and an f2.0

06-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #5

I'm sure you are right.. sorry 'bout that Also, others are more capable than myself when it comes to taking the lenses apart too, it's a personal squeamishness I have, but have read many times great success stories.

So I hope you can find a good resource/diagram for your project lithos, and that you can restore your lens to its intended operation.
06-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Older Pentax Primes really aren't all that bad to work on Kathy, although I wouldn't want to tackle a Zoom.
You just have to remember or photograph the order they come apart in, and the hardest part is inserting the aperture rod goes into the yolk.
This is easy to test instantly, so it's no big deal to re-do that step.
06-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

lithos... Ouch man... it was bad before :P but good that it only cost you $25 b4..

06-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no idea whether or not these instructions are relevant to your lens. Hope it helps though.
06-10-2008, 04:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I tried to disassemble a k50/1.2 following that image tutorial/guide that little_laker posted.

but when opened, the interior was slightly different, i stopped taking parts before i passed the point of no return

If you open it, take notes from where you take all the small pieces inside, taking apart is not very difficult, but assembling it back is.

cheers