Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2015, 03:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TC: AFA 1.7 vs HD 1.4

HI All

I have a DA*300 and the AFA 1,7. I am going to wyoming and would like to have some reach.
Has anyone done a comparison between these two TCs with respect to IQ?

05-14-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
HI All

I have a DA*300 and the AFA 1,7. I am going to wyoming and would like to have some reach.
Has anyone done a comparison between these two TCs with respect to IQ?
I have that same set up: DA*300/4 and both TC's.

My (non scientific) opinion: they render about the same results.
I like the AFA 1.7X for its fast "AF" focusing once you get within the range. Great reach.
I like the simplicity of the HD 1.4X. I wouldn't say that it is better than the other one in terms of IQ.

Take both !
05-14-2015, 06:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I like to take both as well. What's the drawback? ... you get a 420mm lens and a 510 mm lens for a couple pretty small pieces of glass in your bag. I use the 1.7 where I can predict where the subject is going to be, I use the 1.4 when the subject will be moving more than the 1.7 can compensate for, requiring manual focussing and possibly missing shots. My guess is that the 1.4 is better for IQ, but not enough to make up for the lost extra reach.
05-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The AFA sometimes needs some AF focus calibration adjustment for different lenses, so I'd practice with the lens in question to make sure it is nailing its spots and adjust as needed for front/back focus -- it has pretty decent IQ when the base lens is very sharp. (I think some people call the AFA soft but they just aren't hitting focus or haven't upped their shutter speed enough.) STILL, there is of course some degradation and I'd expect the 1.4x to be a bit better (but with less magnification -- no free lunch)...

05-15-2015, 07:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I actually like the way the AFA focuses with the DA*300. sort of a focus limiter...pretty fast as aresult.
The IQ I am still on the fence... Seems good, but the pictures I have seen with the DA TC seem excellent.
05-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
I actually like the way the AFA focuses with the DA*300. sort of a focus limiter...pretty fast as aresult.
I don't have either a DA* 300 or the HD 1.4X, so I can't really help much with the OP's actual question, I guess.

However, I would just like to add that I agree with spartan on one really neat feature of the AFA 1.7X, and that's how it does act as a "focus limiter" of sorts for fast autofocusing (as long as there's still enough light getting to the camera body).

Finally, I'd agree with jpzk and normhead -- take both -- they're both pretty small, and you get some "inexpensive" (as in size and weight, not as in cost) flexibility for how you use any one particular lens.