Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2015, 01:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
HD da 20-40mm Ldt Super Protect (SP) coating and protection filter

Hi everyone,
Just purchased this lens, still underway waiting for and I am wondering, considering that super-duper protective coating, if I still need to add a clear filter for the same protective purposes.
I don't intend to play with it in the sand of course, also usually I'm rather very careful while using my gear in general - but still, some concerns are there, as I am not very sure how much means that SP coating in real life use
Any opinion would be very appreciated.

05-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say a filter is more for protection against physical damage, i.e. accidentally smashing your lens into a tree. A hood works well for that purpose too

The SP coating itself just helps make it easier to wipe the front element clean, and it helps reduce the amount of dust/sand that clings to it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think it will be beneficial against flare more than material damage...

Edit: Adam beat me to it ;-)
05-15-2015, 02:07 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
This is what SP is for:
QuoteQuote:
SP coating is a PENTAX-original special coating that provides superior performance in repelling water and oils. It is used on the front surface of the first high-performance lens for effective protection of the lens surface. This coating not only prevents adhesion of dust, water drops, oils, and other substances, but it also makes it easy to wipe off objects that adhere to the lens.
SMC and HD coatings are for reducing optical aberrations like flare. I wouldn't count on SP protecting your front element when you drop the lens. But then, I don't use filters at all for protection, as they degrade the image quality (if only slightly). I use lens hoods instead.

05-15-2015, 02:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I thought the SP was supposed to protect you from a huge divorce settlement involving lenses.
05-15-2015, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the input, just got the lenses and play a little, is my first lenses after the DA 18-135, a different world, the color saturation is very striking, I can't move the sliders in LR for Vibrance and Saturation, is already all there, the sharpness....hmmm at 2.8, but great from 4 on, anyway is just my first day, will take a while to understand this lens more.
I will buy a protective filter, I see the lenses hood not that big, will feel more comfortable having one.
One of the first night shots, without touching the Vibrancy and Saturation.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-15-2015, 06:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I thought the SP was supposed to protect you from a huge divorce settlement involving lenses.
Heh heh heh
05-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cake Quote
Thank you all for the input, just got the lenses and play a little, is my first lenses after the DA 18-135, a different world, the color saturation is very striking, I can't move the sliders in LR for Vibrance and Saturation, is already all there, the sharpness....hmmm at 2.8, but great from 4 on, anyway is just my first day, will take a while to understand this lens more.
I will buy a protective filter, I see the lenses hood not that big, will feel more comfortable having one.
One of the first night shots, without touching the Vibrancy and Saturation.
Nice shot. Where is this? My first thought is somewhere in the Hong Kong SAR, possibly Kowloon/New Territories rather than the island.

05-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Nice shot. Where is this? My first thought is somewhere in the Hong Kong SAR, possibly Kowloon/New Territories rather than the island.
haha, your guess is quite right by around......50 min flight from your mentioned location. Is still in China, in a city near Xiamen, done from a balcony, for testing purpose.
Now, as I am a newbie in handling this lenses, some other questions came up, but I will open another thread for them, to not mix the things up.