Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2015, 02:15 AM   #1
Forum Member

Help ID this lens

I'm hoping someone could help me ID this lens. Unfortunately, there isn't much to go on. Only a bad picture and another picture to possibly put it into context. The picture is pretty vague, with no markings. Only the shape, size, and the six rows of bumps/nubs/grip. I managed to figure out the other lens which is an Auto Sears MC 50mm 1.7. But after searching through the lens reviews on PF and looking all over Google, the mystery lens escapes me. I'm now even starting to doubt if it has anything to do with this camera and was just put next to it for fun. So far, I haven't found any K mount lenses that have six rows of bumps since that seems to be the easiest thing to try and match. Or maybe I have found one or two but the other features don't agree.

As for other possible clues, it was stated that these are both 50mm lenses. Doesn't mean it's true though. Regardless of what I said earlier about doubting this lens' compatibility, it would make more sense that this is a complete kit and is indeed a lens for the KS-2. Any ideas?

Attached Images

05-16-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not much help but the bumps resemble those on some of my Rikenon lenses. The indentations on the Aperture ring are also similar.
05-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Probably a generic 28mm

If I didn't see it sitting beside a K-mount body, I'd think it was an MD Minolta lens - but a look through a couple of brochures suggests only the 24mm 2.8 or 28mm 2.0 would be close in styling (which seems unlikely).

But if it does belong with the K mount body then it's likely a generic 28mm 2.8 of some brand or another. It might even be a Vivitar or a Kiron.
05-16-2015, 09:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

SMC-K 28mm 3.5 has 6 rows....but there isn't any white on the ring as shown. Checked all my rikenons and it isn't there....Im at a loss , but Im guessing 28mm something....... NOT...... Rikenon XR for sure.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 05-16-2015 at 09:32 AM.
05-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #5

Minolta was my thought at first but looking at the size of the rear lens cap I'd be inclined to say it is for Canon. Still it could just be sitting in a Canon rear cap for display.
05-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zerv Quote
I'm hoping someone could help me ID this lens. Unfortunately, there isn't much to go on. Only a bad picture and another picture to possibly put it into context. The picture is pretty vague, with no markings. Only the shape, size, and the six rows of bumps/nubs/grip. I managed to figure out the other lens which is an Auto Sears MC 50mm 1.7. But after searching through the lens reviews on PF and looking all over Google, the mystery lens escapes me. I'm now even starting to doubt if it has anything to do with this camera and was just put next to it for fun. So far, I haven't found any K mount lenses that have six rows of bumps since that seems to be the easiest thing to try and match. Or maybe I have found one or two but the other features don't agree.

As for other possible clues, it was stated that these are both 50mm lenses. Doesn't mean it's true though. Regardless of what I said earlier about doubting this lens' compatibility, it would make more sense that this is a complete kit and is indeed a lens for the KS-2. Any ideas?
The lens next to the camera is a 50mm Ricoh lens. Looks like my XR Rikenon 1:1.7, all the marks are indentical, same the white bump. A very good lens, similiar to the Pentax M 5o 1.7! The focussing ring has three rows of rubber knots. The camera also looks like a ricoh camera, so the second lens will likely be a k-mount lens.
05-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to guess a 28/2.8 in Canon FD mount.

05-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zerv Quote

I just wondered about the rear cap of the second lens. While the lens next to the camera has the genuine Ricoh rear lens cap, the second one has the same lens cap as one of my old takumars whith M42 to K adapter! It's an old PK rear cap, made in japan, maybe aftermarket. I got two of them with old pentax lenses.
05-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #9

Matt's Classic Cameras: Sears KS-2 (Ricoh XR-7)

The body is a Ricoh XR-7 rebadged as KS-2 for Sears. So the lens closest to the camera body is most likely as you have determined a Sears branded Ricoh lens. The lens in question could be any number of the less known brands and as suspected perhaps not even for K-mount. On Goodwill you often see bodies being sold with additional lenses of unmatched mounts.

If it is for sale why not ask the seller for more information?
05-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. It did give me a lot to go on. I think I have it figured it out but I'm not putting it out there to possibly spoil it.

It's getting dropped off some time next week. Get your guesses in until then. I'll update on what it turns out to be. Good luck!

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If it is for sale why not ask the seller for more information?
Too late... I already committed to purchasing it It was a good price even just for the Sears 50mm 1.7 alone. As long as the glass is good and functions normally, I'm happy. The other lens would just be a bonus. If it turns out to be a non-K mount lens and it's in any halfway decent condition, it's getting cleaned up and resold. For the record, I did ask about the lenses and received no answer yet. More exciting that way anyway!
05-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #11

A 50mm f/1.2? The one's I've seen have 8 rows of knobs.
05-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #12
UMC

It could be a rare variant of the Rikenon P 1:2.8 28mm. The more common version has a rubber with only 4 knobs, but there is a version with the S/N printed on the front ring and a wide 6 knobs rubber. Maybe it also exists as Sears sibling, but I have never seen one. And even the lens cap is a genuine Ricoh cap.
Attached Images

05-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That could be a Sears Mamiya/Sekor lens.

In which case despite it being a Sears, it may not work with that camera as it has the old Mamiya mount and not the (much, much) more common K-mount.

Edit: That said, I think the Mamiyas had a staggered pattern, in which case this wouldn't be one.