Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2x TC with AF support (incl. SDM)

Just wondering... is there any 3rd party 2x TC which would support AF on Pentax SDM lenses?

05-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It seems like the Tamron one would (that has the correct contacts) work for SDM, but reports are that it doesn't. I haven't heard of one that does (for SDM). There are some that work for screw drive if the light is bright enough (and the base lens is fast enough). I have one (Vivitar 2x MC7) that has screw-drive pass-through and has SDM contacts on one side only (not sure why). Works fine with screw-drive lenses, but the SDM (actually Sigma HSM) lenses I've tried I can't even mount it -- the camera immediately freaks out and freezes up. The AFA 1.7x is an interesting option -- not quite 2x, but it provides its own AF for any lens (with a little manual help)...
05-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes. I have one I have been trying to unload for a while (Marketplace posting link) Tamron makes one. It has SDM contacts and works in theory--my Sigma 70-200 spins around trying to get focus but doesn't. But it doesn't work with the 1.4 either. The only SDM lens I have is the DA*300, which doesn't work with the TC because it's too slow.

Otherwise, the TC will autofocus. Works well with the FA50 f/1.7. The FA77 gets there eventually, but it sorta creeps its way up there.
05-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
It has SDM contacts and works in theory
From what I've heard, all of the 2x's that "work in theory" don't work in practice for SDM (even though the Tamron 1.4x with all the contacts generally works fine with SDM). I'd be interested to hear if anyone has actually ever gotten any SDM/HSM lens to autofocus with any 2x TC...

05-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
From what I've heard, all of the 2x's that "work in theory" don't work in practice for SDM (even though the Tamron 1.4x with all the contacts generally works fine with SDM). I'd be interested to hear if anyone has actually ever gotten any SDM/HSM lens to autofocus with any 2x TC...
The Tamron x2 TC that I sold on the Marketplace worked perfectly with my Sigma 17-50 HSM.
05-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
The Tamron x2 TC that I sold on the Marketplace worked perfectly with my Sigma 17-50 HSM.
Yay! That's the Pz-AF model?
05-17-2015, 10:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yay! That's the Pz-AF model?
It was the BBAR MC7.