Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2008, 05:16 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rene` Quote
Ok... so am I hearing that a zoom makes things slower? That a fixed focal length lens allows more speed.(do you mean focusing)......... I hope so. I ordered the FA 50mm f/1.4 last night. Can't wait for it to get here.................

What they are referring to is the aperture range. The 50/1.4 you ordered is a very 'fast' lens because it lets in lots of light at f/1.4 and you can use a shorter shutter speed or lower ISO to get the shot if needed.

06-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Before spending the $200 on the 50mm (great lens BTW!), spend $15 on Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure"

Ok... so am I hearing that a zoom makes things slower? That a fixed focal length lens allows more speed.(do you mean focusing)......... I hope so. I ordered the FA 50mm f/1.4 last night. Can't wait for it to get here.................
06-12-2008, 10:36 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery
I would give the tamron 28-75 f2.8 a try. The price is worth it and is one sharp lens.
06-13-2008, 12:10 AM   #34
Syb
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Just get what ever your budget originally allows and shoot it a ton... You will learn so much about what that lens can do in different conditions and learn what you need in your next portrait lens...

Most of these shots were from my first few days with these lenses... you will get better results once you use your lens more...

(snap!)

$200 FA 50 1.4

That's a great statement and a great shot! My experience shows too, that having a lens for a while is a necessity to find out what you can do with it. It really takes some time to get used to your equipment. Same thing with cameras. You can of course buy the newest every year, but jumping on the learning curve is cheaper, the results are better, you have more fun and will harvest more positive feedback.

Compare:
''Look, I took this picture with my old lens''

and

''Look, I took this picture with my newest lens''

You're talking about the picture, aren't you? Not about the lens (a technicality, in fact) that made it.

Have fun with what you have, before deciding on a new purchase!

06-13-2008, 01:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Have fun with what you have, before deciding on a new purchase!
Quite an advice for sure.
But there are some things that obviously can’t do with the lens someone already possesses.
And then it’s that LBA syndrome …
06-13-2008, 01:30 AM   #36
Syb
Veteran Member

I know that's the way it works.

But some time ago I had a photography teacher who said:

''I have a Leica viewfinder camera with only one prime lens. I take all my photos with it and can dream every single feature of the lens. It has become my twelveth finger (do not know what he referred to here LOL) and I would not even want to change.''

This is a point of view that I highly respect (although it is not mine). I think it is worth advocating once in a while.
06-13-2008, 04:05 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Ditto! The Tammy paired with the 50-135mm make an AWESOME "portrait" combo.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I would give the tamron 28-75 f2.8 a try. The price is worth it and is one sharp lens.
06-13-2008, 06:49 AM   #38
Veteran Member

There's a lot of varied advice, and all of it is good in one way or another!

Essentially, I think there are two main ways to go with respect to image quality and lenses.

One, as Syb's photo teacher said: get one of the 'best' out there, ONE. And learn to use it supremely well. Don't worry about all the other lenses: knowing you invested in one of the best and are using it to your best capacity. Then perhaps add a second ONE.

But that isn't the LBA way.

Two: Get one of the 'best', or at least one that is deemed excellent. Then spend $50 or less each and get a few old lenses, of similar focal length, or even zooms. These will likely be manual focus and third party, perhaps a Takumar or two (these would be in at least the excellent category). Then, again, learn how they work in different situations, and COMPARE. See for yourself, in a similar scene, what makes an excellent lens excellent. And conversely, what if any redeeming qualities the lesser lens may provide. For sometimes the lesser lens will produce an effect you'd be hard pressed to get with the excellent one.

Either way, you'll have a yard stick by which to judge lenses, by their images, in ways meaningful for you.

Buying a bunch of decent but not the best (or worst) lenses will not give you that yard stick. It will simply give you 32 flavors of ice cream.

06-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #39
Veteran Member

With all of the lens out there --- how do we know about them all. What is considered a good lens-- a bad lens-- a prime -- a limited.

How do we know what to get??? All my lens work pretty good. But, you know I thought that I could see fine til I found out I needed glasses.

I just ordered a K20D -- now I'm broke! What kind of len do I need to get the best portraits from my K20D???
Lots of great feedback to your question. Gotta love this forum!
Being a newby, my suggestion would be to take a bunch of the "typical" portrait shots you feel suit your style with whatever kit or zoom lens you have. (Something that you can adjust the zoom with.) Then determine the most often used range that you had the lens set for. Then secure the lens at that position (possibly with tape), and take a number more. If you're happy with the focal length, start shopping for a prime that comes close to that length weighing out factors such as price, lens speed, and lens feedback which you can find on the "lens review" site. (This is sound advise provided to me by other site members a few months ago.) For example if 50 is your ideal range, the 50 1.4 might be a great fit as it's cost effective, and very fast for low light portraits which can be some of the most magnificant photos.

Another comment is that I couldn't agree more with the feedback re being able to take good picture with inexpensive lenses and poor pictures with expensive lenses. I picked up a 31LTD and have taken some real crap photos (albiet crap photos with "beautiful creamy, buttery smooth magical bokeh", LOL.) But as I am improving my knowledge and skills, the quality of this lens is doing it's part in ensuring that I don't have that shortfall to overcome. (I've also taken some nice ones in my opinion.)
Final comment, if you can justify going with a fixed focal length prime, do it as the results are better than a zoom... (Having said that, I also have an 18-250 zoom which you can't beat the "utility" of.)

Good luck with whatever you decide.