Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2015, 01:56 AM   #1

Three Years Later: My lens collection is complete!!

After Three Years My lens collection is complete!! (for now :S) hehe

Hello PF Friends,

I'm a budget-minded pixel peeper who is still learning a lot about photography, mainly post processing, which I do minimally (brightness adjusting is about it). My goal in getting a dslr (Kx) was simply to capture my daughter while she did horse riding in a low light riding halll. I'm so happy with the many images I've capture of both my children, family and friends. I get teased by family and friends for taking pictures so often but I think that has something to do with the very few pictures of my childhood of which I think there might be five or six. Anyway my wife use my pictures to make calendars for our parents every year. I've also been invited by friends to shoot special events (free) which I enjoy very much. On another level I've recently gotten into video shooting. I shoot video on my smartphone (Samsung Note 2) but feel I may break into more dslr video because of the better quality and variety of angles of view my lenses can accommodate. I believe I might try video documentary style reporting if I ever go further in that direction.

Anywho something bit me over the weekend and I realized that I have no other lenses that I really need. My collection appears complete! I do joke and say for now.

Back in 2012 I started with a KX from which I had for maybe a year later before I got the k30.

In that time I went through the process of controlled LBA, which has a grip on me no longer!

My lineup: (relatively speaking and with exceptions this was on a budget, especially compared to what this would all have costed under Canon or Nikon!)

Pentax 10-17 4.5ED IF ($353) Happy
Tamron 17-50 2.8 ($145) for a Canon 1000d (backup and astrophotography) Happy
Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX ($336) Very Happy
Revue (Rokkor?) 55mm 1.2 ($40) Very Happy
Pentax-A 85 F2 ($206) Very Happy
Pentax FA-100 2.8 Macro ($363) (forgot about this one, added late) Very Happy
DA* 50-135 2.8 ($600) Very very happy
Pentax-M 200 F4 ($45) Not happy and need to replace with the Pentax K 200 2.5
Revue (Tokina?) 300 F5.6 ($35) Happy
Osawa 400 5.6 ($120) Very Happy

Grand Total Spent: $2288 (and to think I could have just saved my money and gotten the new https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/pentax-150-450mm-now-shipping.html?src=hs )
That number also makes me wonder how much I would have spent on limiteds, or equivalent Canon or Nikon glass. :S
With my K adapter I can throw any of the lenses onto the Canon, I lose AF but it's still a fair trade off.

I feel pretty fortunate in that I didn't have to go through soo many lenses. I did do a lot of research before I purchased any lens. I also had to budget here and there. And I do have the pentaxforums reviews section to thanks in supporting almost all of my acquisitions.

I did spend money where I felt it was worth it (DA* 50-135) but was very fortunate and happy with what little I spent on the 300 and 400 telephotos, spelled - best bang for the buck! It was especially cool to have been the first to post the Osawa on the review section.

I did have to resell something like a Tamron 18-250 (overall I was disappointed with the IQ). I also sent my first Tamron 17-50 swimming in the Mediterranean Sea A 67 200 F4 didn't work out for astrophotography but made an excellent x20 spotting scope with the Kenko eyepiece adapter.

It took me about three years (feels like twice that! really) to get here and I do have to say it was all about the journey. (If I ever take the time to look at my pictures again I'm certain I'll be just as happy :S)

I do still have a lot to learn and will no doubt get another lens but I truly at least for now do not see that happening anytime soon.

I like to say, "one door closes and another one opens."

Thanks to all of you and the PF crew,
John

Last edited by Iksobarg; 05-20-2015 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Added how mush I paid for each lens.
05-18-2015, 01:58 AM   #2
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Iksobarg Quote
After Three Years My lens collection is complete!!
Ain't no such thing.
05-18-2015, 02:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
Who's the party pooper here?
<grins>
05-18-2015, 03:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats! That certainly is a nice collection!
And I do hope you can keep LBA away
05-18-2015, 03:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good luck
05-18-2015, 05:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I enjoyed reading your post since it mirrored my own experiences in many ways. I wanted to get better pictures of my daughters and their indoor activities, and my first Pentax was also a K-x. I now have a K-30 and am at a point where I feel like my lens collection is fairly complete. I'm also getting into video more lately, which is one of the reasons I bought a Panasonic LX100 to supplement my DSLR.

I'm also challenged with my budget, but have found ways to slowly grow my collection through a lot of barter and trade deals and by watching the used market.

Have you ever thought about going with a 70-200mm f/2.8? Seems like it would give you more reach for getting tight shots at riding events, and the AF may be much quicker than on the 50-135mm.

05-18-2015, 05:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

8 years and 50+ lenses later and i'm still looking (though less ardently these days)

if you think your collection is complete - 'you're a better man than i am Gungadin"

but why on earth do you want to mount these lenses on a Canon body?
05-18-2015, 07:26 AM   #9

Original Poster
I read extensively and avoided these. It was a year and half ago that I got down to avail MTF charts. Between those and the hullaballoo and number of limiteds to choose from (I know it's no comparision) I felt the money on the DA*50-135 would serve me better. As far I'm concerned the DA* subs for all limiteds

I haven't looked back. Til now.
Thanks, I think, <wink wink>
John

---------- Post added 05-18-15 at 04:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote

but why on earth do you want to mount these lenses on a Canon body?
Only the manual ones and beside it's an acceptable trade off as I got the 1000d to use with BYEOS for astrophotography.

Last edited by Iksobarg; 05-18-2015 at 10:50 AM.
05-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Not to burst your bubble but I always think that too. Then I get a new camera and need a couple of lenses for it. Or I decide a lens isn't working and upgrade it. I wouldn't say I have a full blown case of LBA but I have added a few more lenses to my collection than I intended to that's for sure. Don't be surprised as you go on if you do to. Some of the best lenses I have were impromptu buys...
05-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Have you ever thought about going with a 70-200mm f/2.8? Seems like it would give you more reach for getting tight shots at riding events, and the AF may be much quicker than on the 50-135mm.
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database NICE!

And nice try, Edgar
but I cannot justify trading my 50-135 or the ~$500 for that extra what? 65mm?

Over time I've boiled myself down to what is fundamentally important. For the challenge, money savings and outright surprises I've had with my 300 and 400 lenses I've limited myself to manual lenses fixed apertures from 200+.

Otherwise if I should have a windfall of $$ or would be able to shoot for money then I'd likely bite.

---------- Post added 05-18-15 at 04:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Not to burst your bubble but I always think that too. Then I get a new camera and need a couple of lenses for it. Or I decide a lens isn't working and upgrade it. I wouldn't say I have a full blown case of LBA but I have added a few more lenses to my collection than I intended to that's for sure. Don't be surprised as you go on if you do to. Some of the best lenses I have were impromptu buys...
No bubble bursted. I realized the reality and inherent inaccuracy of my claim. Like I originally posted the idea hit me and I just felt the need to document it. I appreciate the feedback very much too!
05-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

And nice try, Edgar
but I cannot justify trading my 50-135 or the ~$500 for that extra what? 65mm?
I'm not sure that going from 135mm to 200mm is insignificant, but you are obviously the best judge of whether you have enough reach.

The extra reach and faster AF make a 70-200mm a good choice for sports, but the big disadvantage is obviously the size and weight, so it's never an easy decision. I've looked at 70-200mm's often in the past, but with my 50-150mm f/2.8 and 100-300mm f/4, it's too much overlap for me.

To me, the 50-135mm is kind of like a ticking time bomb, which would also be a factor for me and my limited budget.
05-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I'll be the third here to follow a similar path: K-x in 2010 and K-30 in 2013. I also have been on a reasonable budget and bought most lenses used. I have a bunch of for-fun lenses that cost less than $25, but I branched out into the M42s...
For now, my 'serious' lenses are:
  • Rokinon 8mm fisheye (a bit of a challenging perspective but lots of fun!)
  • Sigma 10-20 f4.5-5.6
  • DA 18-135
  • DA 21 f3.2
  • DA 35 f2.4
  • DA 50 f1.8 (and an A50 f1.7 and a SuperTak 55 f1.8)
  • DAL 55-300
  • Tamron 90 f2.8
  • TeleTak 200 f5.6
  • Tou/FiveStar 500m f8 (surprisingly decent)
As you can see, I'm more of a wide than tele shooter, and the most expensive lens is the 18-135. I still have my eye on a DA 15mm. The DA 16-85 also looks interesting, but I'm not sure how much I would gain by it over the 18-135 and other lenses I have. So, probably the next thing on my list for a trip I hope to take in 2017 is the K-S2.
05-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I'm not sure that going from 135mm to 200mm is insignificant, but you are obviously the best judge of whether you have enough reach.

The extra reach and faster AF make a 70-200mm a good choice for sports, but the big disadvantage is obviously the size and weight, so it's never an easy decision. I've looked at 70-200mm's often in the past, but with my 50-150mm f/2.8 and 100-300mm f/4, it's too much overlap for me.

To me, the 50-135mm is kind of like a ticking time bomb, which would also be a factor for me and my limited budget.
Points taken about what this lens has to offer. I wouldn't use the word insignificant like you did. And you must be talking about the SDM being a ticking time bomb. I have a late model that is still warrantied, I think ?:s
05-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Points taken about what this lens has to offer. I wouldn't use the word insignificant like you did. And you must be talking about the SDM being a ticking time bomb. I have a late model that is still warrantied, I think ?:s
Yeah, the SDM. I hope they did finally get it figured out, but I'd still be uncomfortable if I had a copy that was out of warranty. If nothing else, the constant paranoia would probably wear on me.

Dead SDM on lenses that were known to have problems should be a free, lifetime fix...at least for the original owner.