Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax new * lenses

so what does the a * lens (I am sure getting a star means something great) but why is it special?

I would really love to get my hands on the 50-135 2.8. would be great for weddings and indoor sports.

thanks
randy

02-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

a cut above the rest. better build, better glass, more features etc, etc, etc. step above their normal lenses and and a step below the limiteds. much like the sigma EX line.
02-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The * 'star' lenses are basically the best of the best.

They're fast, sharp, and unfortunately, very expensive.

My avatar depicts a star lens, to say the least...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-05-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Moderater Joele told me that * designates quality rather than quantity (hence limited in numbers because these lenses take ages to build and produce each month). The way these glasses are made takes a lot of time and effort. Lots of money are put into the intricate design and research of the lens engineering. * equals optical excellence.

Since all the German glasses either go bankcrupt or barely surviving on the brink of collapse, pentax glasses are the only remaining company that can create that 3d look with this German "dream like" colour rendition different from canon or nikon flat colour with emphasis on MTF and stuff alike.

I regret that I did not get into the FA* or A* lenses early enough. Now they are all costing an arm and leg everywhere. But their prices are still a lot cheaper than most canon L glasses though...

Definitely so many pentax forums on line really fueled this price roaring process.

I went for a st Kilda beach walk on the weekend and there were quite a few k10d users among the crowds already. Pentax is really getting around ...

02-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #5

I thought that the * not only designated more pain in the wallet for LBA sufferers, and better glass but it also, or was primarily a denotation of the supersonic motor-driven autofocus lens that the K10D and subsequent cameras are supposed be taking advantage of.
02-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote
I thought that the * not only designated more pain in the wallet for LBA sufferers, and better glass but it also, or was primarily a denotation of the supersonic motor-driven autofocus lens that the K10D and subsequent cameras are supposed be taking advantage of.
The SSD AF system will appear in DA lenses as well. The * designation indicates the "best" quality optical performance levels.

The Limiteds also have the highest optical quality plus they are exactly that, i.e. limited production, and also, at this time, primes only.
02-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The reduced image circle on the DA* really lowers my opinion of them, but I was otherwise excited for the release of this new series, especially the DA* 50-135. I also heard that the DA*s will be weather sealed, but I sadly won't be getting any because of redundancy and the fact that my range is covered with FA*'s.

DA* lenses will probably be much more rare than the Limiteds, and I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing some shots taken with them.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-06-2007, 02:10 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
The reduced image circle on the DA* really lowers my opinion of them, but I was otherwise excited for the release of this new series, especially the DA* 50-135. I also heard that the DA*s will be weather sealed, but I sadly won't be getting any because of redundancy and the fact that my range is covered with FA*'s.

DA* lenses will probably be much more rare than the Limiteds, and I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing some shots taken with them.
It's not certain that the DA* lenses will produce a cropped image at all focal lengths. For example the DA 16-45 only produces a cropped image below approx 21mm which is actually a greater FOV on FF than 16mm on APS-C, also the DA40 and DA70 pancakes also can be used on FF, so you never know what may transpire. The new DA* lenses will provide greater "usability" due to SDM, weather-sealing and lower size+weight.

I do understand your feelings, but to my mind, redundancy is a possible non-reason, because if (not when!) Pentax ever introduce a 24 x 36 (FF) sensor body, I suspect a new range of lenses will be introduced which will have an even larger image circle than the earlier FA series (maybe the D-FA's already have?), as I believe SR will be a standard feature in all future bodies, let alone more stringent control of abberations (CA etc) as the performance of non-digital K mount lenses on FF sensors is as yet unknown. We've only enjoyed them on APS-C so far using the sweet centre spot. I know that, even on APS-C, my FA 24* has CA which, I suspect, will be much worse with a larger image circle and sensor wells etc.

The whole FF debate is still very academic at this time, and knowing how quickly Pentax develop and bring things to market, I'm not holding my breath!

02-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Richard,

I'd also guess that the lenses would cover the entire image circle at some focal lengths, just like all current DA zooms. That's is still to iffy for me, however, so even if I do decide to get a DA*, it'll only work its way onto a DSLR.

I don't know how much beyond 24x36mm the current FA's cover, but I'm fairly sure that sensors won't exceed that size in consumer bodies. That's what 645 is for, lol.

Nevetheless, it's still to early to say more, so I guess we'll have to wait until at least March

Adam

02-07-2007, 01:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote
I thought that the * [...] was primarily a denotation of the supersonic motor-driven autofocus lens that the K10D and subsequent cameras are supposed be taking advantage of.
The * is present in Pentax lenses since the introduction of the M*300mm f/4, in 1981. So it's 26 years that the * designs the better Pentax lenses...
02-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

616-50 and 50-135

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
so what does the a * lens (I am sure getting a star means something great) but why is it special?

I would really love to get my hands on the 50-135 2.8. would be great for weddings and indoor sports.

thanks
randy
I'lll be getting my hands on these lenses in the first half of March. I'll give you the lo down after I test them. What was said to me was that it is a Pentax-Tokina collaboration. On par with the L lenses...
02-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I'lll be getting my hands on these lenses in the first half of March. I'll give you the lo down after I test them. What was said to me was that it is a Pentax-Tokina collaboration. On par with the L lenses...
Are you getting any of the pro FA* lenses from Pentax? I'd really like to hear about the 600/4 and 250-600/5.6 in action...

Adam

02-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Adam, you read my mind...

Are you getting any of the pro FA* lenses from Pentax? I'd really like to hear about the 600/4 and 250-600/5.6 in action...
Scary, isn't it...

I too wonder about that, although studio photography and a honking 600/4 or 250-600/5.6 may be a little too scary... eyeballs and eyelashes anyone?

Ben, if it happens, please let us know!!!

Cheers,
Marc
02-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Long lenses

I won't be getting them, as I rarely shoot over 100mm. They are of no use to me. The longest I will get is the 50-135 f2.8

Ben