Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pawn shop lenses

I was driving today and passed a local pawn shop that had a huge box of older lenses. But I'm not sure what all will work with my K10d. There were some Vivitar and Sigma, along with a few off name brands.

I need to be able to distinguish if the lenses will work by the marks on the lens, none of them have original casings.

Thanks

06-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I do is grab one of their old K-mount Pentax cameras and try the lenses in them.

If I find one that appears to fit and work nicely I simply ask them if I can bring in my camera to test it in the store.

If it still appears to be alright I then ask their permission to test it outside. Be prepared to leave your keys or something if required. But I wouldn't leave cash unless you know they're trustworthy

If it still appears to be what I want I'll either ask them if I can return it for a full refund. Or at least take a look at the photo quality on a computer before I buy it.

You should know the quality right away when you check the images on a computer.

Lots of Luck, and have fun
06-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
They didn't have an old Pentax for me to try it on, only an old Canon. I thought it was a bad idea to just try it on my camera >.>
06-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
WJW
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgsullivan Quote
I was driving today and passed a local pawn shop that had a huge box of older lenses. But I'm not sure what all will work with my K10d. There were some Vivitar and Sigma, along with a few off name brands.

I need to be able to distinguish if the lenses will work by the marks on the lens, none of them have original casings.

Thanks
Many of the Sigma & Vivitar lenses will be marked P/K, P/KA, or P/KR (R=Ricoh & the extra pin) if the are K-mount. I think I remember reading the K10 has the problem with Ricoh pin getting stuck in the AF connection so be cautions with lenses that are labeled P/KR or P/KAR.

You can also compare mounts at SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide. or compare the mounts to one of your current lenses.

Jeff

06-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget to check the lenses for fungus and hazing before buying anything. I've seen a few nice lenses and a lot of really ugly ones in pawn shops.
06-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

... There were some Vivitar and Sigma, along with a few off name brands.
Thanks
HAR!!!
Vivitar and Stigma are also "off name brands".
06-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
HAR!!!
Vivitar and Stigma are also "off name brands".
Off name brands like... Sears, lol
06-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Off name brands like... Sears, lol
Many Sears lenses were made by Pentax, making them less "off brand" then Sigma and Vivitar...

06-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you by chance happen to run into any P/KR or P/KAR lenses, then it is possible to remove the pin, so you don't need to worry about getting the lens stuck onto the body.

Heather
06-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
If you by chance happen to run into any P/KR or P/KAR lenses, then it is possible to remove the pin, so you don't need to worry about getting the lens stuck onto the body.
Thanks! I'll go back tomorrow (errr... later today) and look for all the right markings and post back.

some the things there are:

a couple 135mm
a hand full of 2x converters
a hand full of zooms, mostly 70-200 stuff
and a couple 35mm
a film canon body
and another body I hadn't heard of

Last edited by dgsullivan; 06-09-2008 at 11:22 PM.
06-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Sears lenses were made by a few different companies, but bunches were by Tomioka. Look it up

I have a 55/1.4 in the mail as we speak...some go on to say it's better than the Tak 50/1.4...
06-09-2008, 11:56 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Check for fungus. Pawnshop owners tend not to give a damn about how they store their cameras.

Because of this, if you ask for a discount because the lenses are fungused, they'll likely say "Well, why do you want it, then?"

Cagey buggers, them pawnshop owners.
06-10-2008, 06:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Check also the aperture mechanism, you won't want a fatigued aperture.

Apart from K mount, you can use screw mount lenses with the right adaptor.
06-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The pawn shop near me has two display cabinets full of bodies and lenses. Mostly Canon stuff but some Minolta, Ricoh and Pentax bodies (K1000). As for the lenses, it is hard to tell as they are mostly upside down so I see only the mount. Prices are ok as the K1000 is $49. On the other hand, the equipment is not really cared for. Most of the bodies and lenses have no caps and the dust just gets inside. The probably have more scratches now than when they were originally acquired by the pawn show. This is because it is simply a mess in the display cabinet so the lenses and bodies hit each other. So while the price is ok, I would have to add professional cleaning to get the final price.
06-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #15

I would be careful about using older lenses from other manufacturers.Though they may fit pentax, once fixed they can lock up especially some of the older manual focus lens.As far as I know the auto focus lens all work fine. One way to see if its a pentax mount is take a look at the back of the lens,if it has a P or PK letters on it ,its a pentax.The last thing is look over the lens carefully because most of the time once you buy it. its yours.