Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #16

At first you will start by thinking that choosing and buying the 'right' one will do it...then you will realize you need them all.

05-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to go against the grain and recommend the Sigma 30mm/1.4. The original one, not the new ART version. I have one, love it to pieces. Many point out that the corners are very weak, and this is true. But, for family snapshots indoors, there is nothing else as useful.

In every blind test I've seen, the 30mm is either tied to or preferred over the mighty FA31, except for when the corner performance is important, or in those rare circumstances where you get the bizarre triangle bokeh from the Sigma. Both are pretty rare for me, much rarer than the enjoyment I get from the extra $600 in my pocket.

Since the Sigma is available (used) pretty cheaply, also get yourself the DA15 or 21 for landscapes and such.
05-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bpv_UW Quote
If I had your budget and your priorities, I'd do the following: 1) sell your Da 35/2.4 and increase your budget a bit with the proceeds 2) Buy a used Fa 31, can probably get a good one for $700 or so
I've been wondering whether to do this too, but the rational part of me says I'd get little for the DA 35 and (at about $A1000) the 31 is just too expensive - more than I paid for the 43 and 77 together. And the 35 has its place: the edge-to-edge sharpness is good for panoramas and general landscapes, and (while not in the class of the FA Limiteds) it's pretty good for general use too.
05-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

$900 US?

FA 43mm F1.9
FA 77mm F1.8
Sigma 85mm F1.4 or 50mm F1.4

I have the top two and love them but both are a little slow to autofocus. The Sigmas are a little quicker to focus as they have internal focus motors and have IQ to rival the FAs.

05-21-2015, 01:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Personally I'd go with the 21+70 option initially
+1

The DA21 is a very versatile lens and the AF is fast and reliable - Flickriver: kh1234567890's photos tagged with da21. The DA70 gives you that extra reach when you can't / don't want to get too close - Flickriver: kh1234567890's photos tagged with da70. The DA15 is a bit too wide and fiddly for people shots, the DA40 is boring, FA lenses are too big and expensive etc. ...
05-21-2015, 01:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

you already have the DA 18-135 and DA L 35 f/2, get the FA77mm it's soooooooooo sharp wide open and the bokeh is buttery, the AF is fast & accurate !
check out the review : FA77mm and see the sample photos for yourself, you'll not regret

The FA31mm is also a great tool but out of your budget, if you find a used one for a good price, take it immediately. It's sharp, nice bokeh, can be used for everything (portrait, landscape, street... you name it) and it's easier for indoor ^^
05-21-2015, 02:26 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote

Personally I'd go with the 21+70 option initially, and maybe replace the 70 with the 77 at a later date. The 21/35/70 set would be formidable.
+2

This should cover most of your needs for the next few years, is within your budget, and is capable of delivering excellent images. It is also allows a very lightweight bag.

A 31 or 77 would be better at one focal length, but would leave a big hole in the focal lengths you had available to you.

By not going full frame (or medium format) you are choosing to compromise image quality, like most of us, to meet your budget. The fairly small additional image quality tradeoff of a 21 and 70 vs a 77, to gain a lot more flexibility, should be easy enough to accept.

Buy pre-owned and you can upgrade later at fairly minimal cost.

05-21-2015, 04:09 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
the 31 is just too expensive - more than I paid for the 43 and 77 together
Des, Check with DigiDirect on Elizabeth Street - I was in Melbourne in early March, and I think they had a used 31 kicking around. I stupidly, STUPIDLY did not buy it, not realising at the time what I was holding in my hands (I hadn't joined this forum yet). If it wasn't them, it was Michael's a little further up the road. I also passed up on an f/1.4 Sigma because I'd forgotten how to drive pre-A-mount lenses on a K-5. I've been kicking myself ever since.

If either lens is still there when I get back in February, I'm getting them.
05-21-2015, 04:36 AM   #24
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All other Victorian PF members please look away now.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
think they had a used 31 kicking around
Woo, thanks for the tip!
05-21-2015, 04:36 AM   #25
Pentaxian

One more comment...buy you lens used at a fair price and it doesn't matter what you buy. Enjoy for a few months, sell it for what you paid, and buy something else. Keep doing it until you find "the one"
05-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I also think the DA70 is ideal. I have the FA77 and really like it, but it has two weaknesses: AF speed and purple fringing at maximum aperture. The former might be a problem for you with your kids. In fact it focuses more decisively in live view in my opinion. The latter somewhat cancels out the benefit of the wider maximum aperture, but is only really a problem in high contrast scenes.

I sometimes think I made the wrong decision. The FA77 is lovely, but it is by far my most expensive lens and not one that I use that often. It's going to take me longer to get my money's worth from it. The DA70 seems to give you most of the performance, including nice bokeh, in a cheaper package.
My FA 77 focuses flawlessly on my K-3. It only needed a tweak in the AF Fine Adjustment menu and all is well. Have you tested your copy of the lens for front/back focus issues?
05-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zerv Quote
1) Family pictures, static and active (No sports yet. Just out and about doing normal things or family events.)
2 ) Portraits, at least half-body if not tighter
3 ) Street scenes or general environment
4 ) Landscapes
Some of these are mutually exclusive... tight portrait and landscape, for instance.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zerv Quote
My budget:
$700-$900. Honestly though, less is better. Not opposed to pre-owned.
With that budget you could easily get two used DA limiteds. Since you already have a decent prime at 35mm, my first thought was to suggest a DA70. Then maybe a wide lens such as the DA21 or even 15. I really really love the DA40 but it's close to your 35.

I know less about the FA limiteds, apart from the fact that they are more expensive, have more character but less even performances.
05-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #28
Pentaxian

You have the DA35, so the FA43 might be a bit redundant, even if that one is my best lens.
For your budget you could get both a FA50/1.4 and a DA70.

Seb
05-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #29
Pentaxian

My two cents for the FA77 and the DA*55. As a proud owner of both, each one has its own merits that make them worthwhile additions. As stated previously, the 77 is pure magic with a solid build, fast AF, and gorgeous rendering. The 55 is superb and is a great lens that can be used for pretty much all of the tasks you listed you'd like to accomplish. I recently shot a beach shoot with just the 55 and mainly natural light, and it showed how much 55 really shines with great skin rendition, sharpness, and bokeh wide open. Albeit with slower AF than the 77, the 55 is a great starter LTD lens and is cheaper than the 77. If you had some time to try them out, see if you could rent both for a week and see what suits you and pursue that one first.
05-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #30
Pentaxian

To the OP: I would join with the others in their advice to get something well clear of what you have already, in both focal length and aperture. For example: you have a 35mm f/2.4; is the excellent but very costly 31mm f/1.8 really going to add that much to your current capabilities at the price you will have to pay? I think you'd have to drop down to at least 28mm on the wide end or go up to at least 50 on the tight end before the difference in focal length really started becoming worthwhile, at which point bassek's suggestion above of the 50mm f/1.4 FA starts making a lot of sense and the 70 or 77mm (probably the 70mm on a size and cost basis) also starts looking damn good.

In my limited experience of working with small children and dogs indoors, 50mm starts to feel tight and by the time you are at 100mm on a Pentax crop body, your field of view is already FAR too narrow. (I tried experimenting with my 100mm f/2.8 Macro - I found it good for candid across-the-room shots of the dog that lies still or the engrossed or compliant child, but useless for any sort of dynamic shot.) 70mm is probably as long as you want to go if your targets are moving.