Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The D FA is a fine lens optically but it does not provide useable autofocus due to the lack of a focus limiter - it hunts all the way down to 1:1 magnification and out again, pretty much useless for photographing anything in motion unless used in manual focus mode.
I don't have much (well, any) experience using the `quickshift' feature, but in theory, couldn't that be used to mitigate the hunting somewhat?

04-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
I don't have much (well, any) experience using the `quickshift' feature, but in theory, couldn't that be used to mitigate the hunting somewhat?
It does help a little. When it misses and starts that long trek down to the minimum focusing distance, you can release the AF button and manually whip the focus back to infinity to try again without having to switch the camera to manual focus mode so you save flicking a switch.

Depends on the camera and lighting though whether it's worth trying AF with the DFA 100mm. I had enough 'misses' like this with a k100d that I pretty much just stuck to manual focus. With a k5iis, it seems much less likely to miss and go hunting so it's less frustrating to use the AF at 'normal' working distances (I still use manual focus for closeup work). It's actually pretty zippy focusing assuming it doesn't miss. If my primary intent was a midrange telephoto with AF, I probably wouldn't have chosen the DFA 100mm but it's nice to have the option with this fine macro lens.
04-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #48
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that the WR version of the lens is much less prone to hunting. My comment quoted above was for the non-WR version. Why there is a difference between the two baffles me, but there is.
04-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Note that the WR version of the lens is much less prone to hunting. My comment quoted above was for the non-WR version. Why there is a difference between the two baffles me, but there is.
I had no idea there would be a noticeable difference. My comment also refers to the non-WR version.

04-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Thanks for the clarification - I don't `need' the D-FA WR, but I covet it... One more psychological barrier removed.
04-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info about all three lenses... I did not notice that FA* is not FREE... Thanks
04-07-2014, 02:38 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Actions speak louder than words

Going back to the original question FA*85/1.4 or FA77/1.8 Limited - it might be helpful to poll those users who have owned both and see which one they still have - as the old saying goes "actions speak louder than words"

I've owned them both and still have one of them
04-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
Going back to the original question FA*85/1.4 or FA77/1.8 Limited - it might be helpful to poll those users who have owned both and see which one they still have - as the old saying goes "actions speak louder than words"

I've owned them both and still have one of them
Which one do you have?

05-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #54

I'm still on the fence between these two lenses. I want one to supplement my DA* 55mm, but I just can't make up my mind!
05-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vjacesslav Quote
Which one do you have?
Sorry for the delay......

.....I have the FA*85 - well I actually have two