Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Has anyone done fashion show press photography?

Hello all!

This is a long shot but a close blogger friend got passes to Berlin's Fashion week and invited me to be her photographer if I was willing to go visit Berlin for a week ( @_@ ).

So the problem other than ridiculous airfare this summer is do I have the equipment to do that type of shooting? Normal red carpet etc type should be fine but... We can get access to the media riser too and...

Are my lenses all too short?? I have no idea the distance of the riser to the walks and other areas to shoot. I've been to a few shows but never had press credentials

Any other tips would be amazing

Other than whats in my signature I have a CF amvona tripod and a nice head for it.

06-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get a good mono pod and as far as lenses no one can tell you if it's too long or short until you know how far you will be from the stage. You will be using the faster Lenses for sure and try and not use flash but shoot no more than 800 iso and either nail the WB ( manual ) or shoot raw.

If you can get 2 bodies this would be ideal, one for long shots as they are walking toward you and another for end of ramp poses. Other than that you won't know until your there what will work, Oh a good hand held meter and shoot in manual!
06-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
is my 135 enough? with the TC it'll end up 189~ or 283 with the crop? (or am i wrong)

Or should i try to find a 100-300 sigma f/4? or a ultra wide?? :P so confused
06-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Are my lenses all too short?? I have no idea the distance of the riser to the walks and other areas to shoot. I've been to a few shows but never had press credentials.
That information will be KEY to choosing the correct lenses! Find out where the venue is and google the floorplan if available. If the events are anything like what I've been to, you can forget about a tripod. Even a monopod will be of limited use. Would have been a bother when I did this stuff.

Your lenses should be long enough, the 135 zoom should do nicely if you're on the photographers platform. The whole deal with this type of photography will be your timing. You'll want to be dialed in on the spot where the models stop and strike a pose. Usually two or three spots on the catwalk.

If you are shooting all the models, pick and dial in a spot where they strike their poses. If you have a choice to concentrate on your friend, you can zero in on the top of the walk, shoot the first pose, re-focus at the end of the walk and when she reaches there and strikes her pose, shoot again.

I was fortunate that the event coordinator placed some tape to block off the areas where the models were to stage & pose. Made setting up the focus before hand easy. The pace was fast, but ordered and predictable.

06-10-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jim!

Torphoto, what would I need the meter for? Sorry i know what they are but have not used one at this point in my photography so not totally sure all the applications for them.

I'm assuming that Flash is allowed on the catwalks but would not be useful until the mode makes it to the end?
06-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I said get a meter so you can shoot in manual mode, and possibly no flash. All cameras meters will mess up with a dark model in bright clothes

or light model in dark clothes etc.

knowing the lighting and where the good lighting spots are is key, your the photog they chose so you may even get a hand in the lighting setup.

I shot these with the DA 70mm, I found a good lighting spot and made sure the models would stop here. Works every time.
06-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Love the first shot!! Where was this at?

06-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This was Trinidad Fashion Week.
06-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you think a wide angle lens is necessary?
06-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Do you think a wide angle lens is necessary?
In Berlin a WA could be helpful. Berlin Fashion Week is spread over several venues, some of which can be quite small. In those cases you may find yourself crammed at the edge of the catwalk and that's where a WA comes in handy.

Some traditional fashion venues are quite big and many photogs (who are usually herded on their platform) will use 80-200/2.8 and even 300/2.8 for detail shots (half portraits etc.) I personally would prefer a 80-200/2.8, which in most cases should be sufficient, especially given the smaller venues in Berlin.

Don't forget your 50/1.4 and perhaps you have an old M 80/2 (or even better an 1.4), becaus I think, you'll find loads of opportunities around the official show.

Ben
06-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great info. Might need to rent a few of these lenses then
06-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Some traditional fashion venues are quite big and many photogs (who are usually herded on their platform) ...
That's the situation I found myself in. I just grabbed a folding chair that was holding a door open and placed it in front of, and facing, the photographer's platform. Stood on that to shoot over the crowd, but kept comfortably below all the other photographers so they didn't whine much. A few griped but then shut up when I pointed out that I'd move to the side if I suddenly grew an extra 2 feet (& the other guys laughted at them).

I don't like crowds, and during that experience I watched a number of photographers (pro & otherwise) standing along the catwalk. You can get a few good pictures there, but you loose a lot more opportunities than you gain - by far. Have you ever seen a fashion mag photo taken from that close up? I can't recall any good ones...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Don't forget your 50/1.4 ...
I would take the 50-135 as stated before, the fast 50 (good call Ben), and (though you may not use it) either the Tamron 28-75 or DA* 16-50 for close work - whichever you prefer - unless you have a good short prime.
06-12-2008, 03:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
That's the situation I found myself in. I just grabbed a folding chair that was holding a door open and placed it in front of, and facing, the photographer's platform. Stood on that to shoot over the crowd, but kept comfortably below all the other photographers so they didn't whine much. A few griped but then shut up when I pointed out that I'd move to the side if I suddenly grew an extra 2 feet (& the other guys laughted at them).
You were lucky to get away with that! In Milan or Paris they would have probably forced you at of the room for that…

Ben
06-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If he tried that here I can guarantee a few large F2.8 lenses would have hit him in the head.
06-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
If he tried that here I can guarantee a few large F2.8 lenses would have hit him in the head.
I knew most of those guys, was not in their way, and I was bigger and younger than them.... My father was well respected in the business community as well, so that didn't hurt. Probably the only reason one of those 2.8s didn't find my skull.

Seriously though, a few of those wanks were always trying to bully me 'cause I was the kid of the bunch. I was taught to be respectful and I'm a patient man, but they found a long time prior that even my patience wears thin (you can't bully the kid from the flat of your back).

The next season, there were three or four chairs in front of the stand and plenty of room for me up top. All was good after that, I had earned my stripes.