Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #31
Inactive Account

I don't think Canon wants to "save the consumer money"

Seriously, IS/VR began in the old days of film (it was sorta hard to stabilize the film), so stabilizing the optics was pretty much the only answer. It would be nice if Canikon added stabilized sensors, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Here's a c&p of some stuff I wrote on a Canon forum about sensor-based IS vs. lens based -

I used to shoot Pentax, and it was great having a stabilized sensor, because my fast primes (50mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/2) were stabilized. I personally had great luck out to 300mm, but folks on pentaxforums.com seemed to have good luck shooting the Bigma at 500mm at slow shutter speeds handheld, so I would say that body-IS seems to work pretty well at long focal lengths. Also, once Tamron and Sigma release their 70-200mm for Pentax, you'd be able to buy a 70-200mm f/2.8 "IS" for $699 instead of $1699!

HOWEVER, having a stabilized viewfinder with a big heavy lens like the 100-400 is a GREAT advantage to lens-based IS, as once I turn IS off, the view @400mm through the viewfinder shakes like crazy! (maybe I just need to cut back on the coffee )

IS on the camera body? - Page 2 - Canon Digital Photography Forums

06-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The other day at a banquet I went to for my daughters graduation, I noticed this canon guy shooting with what looked like a sock covering his lens. Ever heard of that? I have not ever seen that and was going to ask him about it, but got distracted and forgot all about it until now.
06-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
so~ it is a great lens, and i heard it is around $500~600, which is nice. And I have no idea why I bid on the 50-135... while i told myself to wait for this lens... I am just stupid.
I don't know about that. At half the weight and 2" shorter I think the 50-135 makes a MUCH better walk around lens. 70-200 F2.8 is great....but I think the 50-135 would actually spend more time attached to the camera.
06-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #34
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
The other day at a banquet I went to for my daughters graduation, I noticed this canon guy shooting with what looked like a sock covering his lens. Ever heard of that? I have not ever seen that and was going to ask him about it, but got distracted and forgot all about it until now.
Was he drunk?

Regarding the IS it is true that the prices for these ones are inflated. Actually SR in body is a bless for the pocket. Now, if you want to use the long lenses handheld then the IS is way more user friendly than the SR for the reasons that egordon explained. If somebody jumps to Canon or Nikon, one thing to consider is whether you want to pay 500usd extra for each IS/VR telephoto or you are better served using that money on getting a good tripod/monopod/head. I dont think that Canikon will change anytime soon to in body SR unless Sony and others start eating a huge part of the cake, and I really doubt this.

06-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I was ablt to fix the links... but I seem to have lost the Tamron 200mm f2.8 file.
06-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Perhaps he thought it was going to rain inside? (Not a problem with the DA* lenses of course)