Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2015, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA 16-85mm wide open test

I've read comments made about this lens not being taken serious because it's F3.5-5.6 aperture, but the truth is it does well wide open. So this morning I took a walk in the woods, it was overcast, a few sprinkles, good test conditions. The buttercups are blooming and the bees are busy doing their thing, so had plenty of test subjects. Did some cropping and exposure adjustments, but no sharpening or noise reduction. Shot in RAW converted to JPEG with LR5.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We can't know the MTF50 from images at the size smaller than a computer display. On my display, most photos are underexposed.
05-23-2015, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
We can't know the MTF50 from images at the size smaller than a computer display.
Have no idea what you mean by this. On my monitor (a 15" 4K UHD) they look just like I want them to look - how seen them in the woods.

Sorry, I am a newbie at this and my first such post. Educate me on what you need to know beyond what you see in the photos
05-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #4

Originally posted by biz-engineer
We can't know the MTF50 from images at the size smaller than a computer display.

Have no idea what you mean by this. On my monitor (a 15" 4K UHD) they look just like I want them to look - how seen them in the woods.

Sorry, I am a newbie at this and my first such post. Educate me on what you need to know beyond what you see in the photos

I just loved your answer! I liked your fotos and thanks to show us how nice is this lens.....

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/296082-da-1...#ixzz3b0wiuOi8

05-23-2015, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by agalliac Quote
I just loved your answer! I liked your fotos and thanks to show us how nice is this lens.....
Thanks, glad you liked the photos.

Maybe I shouldn't have called it a test because it was really more of a demostration.
05-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I also see the shots as under-exposed. Particularly shots 1 & 2.

Histogram of shot 1:

The perils of spot metering ...
05-23-2015, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The perils of spot metering ...
Thanks this helps. I just started doing this to keep the detail of the blossoms from being blown because of the dark background. I am open to any suggestions to improve this. The reason for doing this was to show that even wide open, this lens does show good detail.
05-23-2015, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I suggest either relying on the K-3's matrix metering, which is usually pretty good, or doing what you are doing with spot but just be aware how incredibly specific spot metering may be. One or two degrees off target, and you may, for example, be metering a small patch of the scene that is either 100% too dark or 100% too bright, and not at all representative of the rest of the scene.

If you are in a mood to experiment, perhaps linking your exposure to the active AF point may be worth a try too, as may be some exposure bracketing.

05-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, I do appreciate the advice and love experimenting
05-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
Your monitor is certainly better than mine... I can imagine if everyone on this forum could align their monitors, how the pictures would all look different.
Here I have two monitors next to each other, they don't render the same way, even with tuning it's impossible to match them.
05-23-2015, 11:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They look dark to me too on my macbook pro retina display. To me, both my K3 and K5 frequently "underexpose". However, I shoot RAW always, so that is good. Better to (selectively) adjust exposure upward in pp than deal with blown highlights.
05-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Yellow flowers, like the ones you just shot, are frequently blown out and I often have to dial in some -EV. Shooting in RAW gives you plenty of adjustment room. The exposure on these shots is close to where I would want them fresh out of the camera. Bright yellow and red flowers are difficult subjects. There can be large differences in monitors so if the overall exposure looks fine on yours, it may be adjusted too bright.

The sharpness of the lens looks pretty good and detail in the small flowers is visible. I normally shoot flower shots like this stopped down to f/8.
05-24-2015, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #13
mee
Pentaxian

Thank you for providing the sample images! It is hard to find untouched/processed images on this site. Sometimes it is easy to spot the fakes though.. people will say it is straight from the camera but the white haloing around objects give it away they were cooked in some image editor. These.. are not cooked. Thank you.

Also, would you be interested in sharing a couple at 16mm wide open of a larger scene.. landscape?
05-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, it is very much appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Also, would you be interested in sharing a couple at 16mm wide open of a larger scene.. landscape?

Well, it just so happens my wife & I went to the archery range early this morning (shooting longbows is a shared passion) my goal was to use the wider focal length more. This is a more open forest then yesterday, but still no wide open areas, sorry. But I did include two 16mm photos, which I believe is this lens weak spot. Like yesterday, wide open aperture, no sharpening in fact, very little if anything was done to these other converting to JPEG (just got back less than a hour ago). Tried to be more mindful of the exposure, hopefully it's better. Thanks for your input, hope this helps to anyone considering this lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by longbow; 05-24-2015 at 12:14 PM.