Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
best 50mm macro for general walk-around use

I think I am finally narrowing the decision for a general purpose lens. I have decided that 50mm is the focal length I prefer, but I enjoy having the capacity to take a macro shot. I kind of stumbled on this when using my M42 Super-MacroTakumar lens for a couple of days straight. It is a great lens, but at f4 maximum aperture, it is just not fast enough to be a "go anywhere, do anything" lens.

I consider myself an advanced novice; maybe not wise enough to know if this particular choice for the purpose proposed is a good one. My recent purchase of a Vivitar 90mm 2.5 Macro (Bokina) from a forum member is the event that has solidified my choice. The new/old Vivitar is a spectacular lens, and has been on my K5IIs since the lens arrived; however, the focal length is just too long for every day general purpose. For now, I plan on carrying both lenses with me, but it really doesn't get me to that "one lens, one camera" experience that I want to try for the next year.

Is there a "Bokina" equivalent in the 50mm Macro world? Is there a general consensus on which is the best fast 50mm macro for general photography use?

I have become a manual focus junkie, so I am particularly interested in manual focus lenses.

Thanks for any direction.

Wayne

05-25-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always smile when I see these threads that ask "which macro lens:? It is a bit like asking which Ferrari to get. Come on, it's a macro lens. It is difficult to find a bad one.

If you want manual focus, look at the Pentax-A 50mm f/2.8. Or any of the k-mount 50mm but I prefer the A because of the contacts. SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

If you want a really special lens look for the Macro-Takumar 50mm preset. It's only f/4 but still worth it. S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

My personal favorite though is the Pentax-F 50mm f/2.8 macro. Not good at manual focus but an awesome lens. SMC Pentax-F 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I have all three. For coolness, the Macro-Takumar wins, for manual focus with aperture control, the Pentax-A wins, for AF and best all around carry lens, the Pentax-F wins.
05-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The old Vivitar 55/2.8 (also available as Elicar and probably some others) is a very sharp lens, and has been selling lately for less than $100 (it used to pretty reliably go for around $110). Most of them are plain PK or m42 mount, but there are some 'A' versions out there (very hard to find) too. (Prefer those that say "MC" on them in any case.) Seriously underrated for the price. Also keep in mind you can take any old fifty and put an extension tube on it and get half-decent macro results with most.
05-25-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some older 50 macros have a maximum magnification of 1:2, which is not strictly a true macro. so be wary of that.

Many people have called the FA50 macro the sharpest Pentax lens ever. I don't know if it's true, but I know I loved that lens for the time I used it. It's easy to focus, both manually and with AF, it's well built, and it delivered great images.

05-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
I guess the thing about the recently purchased Vivitar 90mm macro that has surprised me so much is the fact that, aside from being a great macro lens, it seems to be a truly superior lens, across the board.

Upon reading the first response to my original post, I realized I may not have been specific enough in my question. For me, the macro capability is a secondary consideration.....Something I have an interest in, but not a driving will to perfect. The question was prompted by an ad I recently saw on the Buy/Sell section for a 60mm 2.8 Mamiya macro lens. I know nothing about that particular lens, but it got me wondering if there are other great old, fast, manual focusing, macro lenses out there that have the same superior general photography characteristics of the Vivitar "Bokina." Specifically, 50-60mm manual focus lenses.
05-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tennjed Quote
Macro for walk-around? Hm, not sure that goes together perfectly. Macro lenses are super sharp, and I think pretty much all Pentax 50mm macro lenses will give you adequate sharpness, even the ones from 1970s. Except for a couple budget or zoom macro lenses, I can't think of any that were bad. Macro prime lenses tend to all be good. But macro lenses tend to have a clinical look to them, not much character. And because they are macro, with a longer focus range, their AF will generally be slower than equivalent non-macro primes.
Anyway, I never tried it, but I heard many good things about the FA and DFA 50mm macro lenses. I've seen great photos taken with older 50mm f4 macro lenses as well, but those might need extension tubes for full macro. Also, for walk around, I would prefer an AF lens (unless it will be too dark to use AF anyway), so another reason to look at F, FA, and DFA series.

Oh, not long ago many claimed the Sigma 70mm macro is the sharpest, best Sigma lens out there. Not sure if this still holds true, as the Sigma Art series was released since, but it is still a good indication. But 70mm might be too far from 50mm. Oh, and Pentax makes a really great 35mm f2.8 macro lens, in the old SMC version and the latest HD version. Great lens, compact, for a good price.
05-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Macro for walk-around?
If you're considering an AF 50mm, I'm not sure I'd opt for a macro due to the long focus throw. That really slows down AF during everyday use.

I'd keep things simple: get the DA 50mm if you're on a budget of the DA* 55mm if you'd like the best of the best. The latter might be more suitable for you since it sounds like you're the kind of user who would appreciate focusing manually from time to time.

Older fifties are great too though I'm afraid the coatings don't quite live up to modern standards, but if you wanted to go for a manual focus lens you definitely can't go wrong with the M 50mm F1.4.

If the Zeiss Otus 55mm were available for Pentax, then this discussion would get really interesting

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

One you may consider for close focus, but not Macro is the Zeiss Pancolar. MFD is 35cm vs. 45 which is typical for a 50 (magnification is around 0.2). It's f1.8, manual focus, pretty sharp, has nice bokeh and it's cheap. I really love mine. I find that 35cm is close enough most of the time. If you need closer, you have a real macro that can give you some standoff distance.

If you want better close focus and still something exotic, the Volna 9 comes to mind. It's only f2.8, and 0.5 magnification. The bokeh is quite unusual.

If you want a real, no kidding macro at 50mm, they are all quite similar in performance, but all f2.8 or slower. For me, I'll trade magnification for f-stop and take the Pancolar. I have a Sigma 70mm and 35mm Limited for when I want really close.
05-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I know nothing about that particular lens, but it got me wondering if there are other great old, fast, manual focusing, macro lenses out there that have the same superior general photography characteristics of the Vivitar "Bokina." Specifically, 50-60mm manual focus lenses.
It's really difficult to botch a 50mm lens. They're all at least "good". Some little known lenses (such as those sold for Sears, for instance) sometimes have somewhat of a following. The subforums might help you there, especially the lens clubs and "post your images" threads.

I'd say the F50 f1.7 is often regarded as a very sharp and reliable non macro 50, but it's not as good as, say, the FA or F 50 f1.4 regarding bokeh. Those two have a reputation for a creamy bokeh. The Zeiss and Voigtlanger are two brands with an amazing reputation. The DA*55 is slow to focus but IQ-wise, it's a special lens for sure. You could also consider the 43 limited, not exactly in your range but it's regarded as something special. Or even the DA40 limited, I know it's one of my favourite lenses.
05-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have really pleased with my FA 50mm F2.8 macro, and the DA 35mm F2.8 limited macro. All my wide lens are auto and I am thinking of getting a wide angle manual lens for use in dark situations. Trying to focus in dim light is difficult and that's when I use manual focus, but the focus throw is much longer & easier with manual lens (at least I thinking a manual lens would be easier to focus than auto).
05-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I can certainly recommend my “Femme Fatale” (SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro) for your consideration in your potential short list.
05-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the responses. I think I am going to look closely at the SMC Pentax 50mm 2.8 A and/or the Vivitar 55 2.8 macro.

Best regards,

Wayne
05-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I love the A 50/2.8 Macro - it's a sharp and entirely delightful lens to use for walkabout macro use. The F and FA 50/2.8 Macro lenses are even sharper, but they're not much fun to focus manually (and, for macro use, AF isn't as useful as it might be for other uses).

[For myself, however, my favorite for the purpose is actually the Tokina ATX 90/2.5 (with Ka mount), but that doesn't really fit your question.]

While it is true that the A 50/2.8 and the "Bokina" 90/2.5 reach only to 0.5X magnification (unlike the F and FA 50/2.8's), I don't find that to be a problem -- for a walkabout lens, I'm not likely to be wanting to try for 1:1 macro shooting anyhoo...

Last edited by fwcetus; 05-25-2015 at 08:33 PM.
05-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Many people have called the FA50 macro the sharpest Pentax lens ever. I don't know if it's true, but I know I loved that lens for the time I used it. It's easy to focus, both manually and with AF, it's well built, and it delivered great images.
I agree about the superlative quality of the images delivered by the FA 50/2.8 Macro (or the F 50/2.8 Macro, which is essentially the same lens). I don't know if it's the sharpest Pentax lens ever (I have not tried each and every lens made by Pentax) but it's the sharpest lens in my collection and I have more than 300 lenses, including Canon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Voigtländer, and Zeiss glass. And, yes, the FA 50/2.8 is a better lens IMHO than the much-hyped 125/2.5 Voigtländer!

The FA 50/2.8 images have tons of micro-contrast, razor sharp details and beautiful colors. It's a more modern lens than the A 50/2.8 with a better corrected optical formula (although the A lens is no slouch either!) and superb flare resistance thanks to its advanced coatings. It's also obsolescence-proof, thanks to its aperture ring, all metal constuction and full-frame coverage (contrary to the D-FA 50/2.8 Macro).

You certainly have heard about Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page, which is the authoritative website about Pentax lenses. This site provides a great amount of details about every K lens ever made by Pentax but usually doesn't provide any appreciation about optical quality of the lenses described. One of the rare exceptions to this rule is the description of the F 50/2.8 Macro:

This lens might well be the best 50 mm macro lens available (well, except for its sibling, the FA 50/2.8 Macro). It is extremely sharp, it offers a very wide aperture (for a macro), it is much smaller and lighter than the various 100/2.8 macros, and it reaches 1:1 magnification without extra attachments.
This lens does not always need to be used for macro applications. It performs equally well as a "normal" lens, and can be used for portraits, landscapes, etc.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz; 05-25-2015 at 09:22 PM.
05-25-2015, 10:06 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

You say you're doing manual focus, Tennjed, so the A 50/2.8 Macro will be great - including on the FF if you get one. I love the D FA 50mm f2.8 Macro on the Sony A7 as a 'normal' lens.