Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #1

Lenses for K10d

We have been working with our new K10d for several weeks and have been using old pentax film lenses with the camera. But now, having waited for years for our upgrade to the k10, we are ready to spend some money on glass.

We seem to be doing various types of pics (ie some macro, more lanscape, telephoto would be good also) So, the question is, if we can buy good glass, what would good lens choices be for this camera? I assume that we will need more than one lens, but I even don't know about that, maybe there is a good all around lens if we spend enough.

Any suggestions would be most helpful

tia--don

06-10-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow you have nowhere near enough criteria It would help to narrow it down a bit. Budget is always a key factor as well if you could put some guidelines that would help. I am a Tele-zoom fan I will let the prime people offer their suggestions

Tele-zoom choices

Lower end budget I would suggest

Sigma 10-20 for the wide end landscapes
Sigma 17-70 for landscapes and general walk around lesn also some close focus work (macro)
DA 55-300 for long Tele end

Upper end Budget I would suggest

DA 12-24 for the wide end landscapes
DA* 16-50 for landscapes walk around low light **
DA* 50-135 for portraits and some tele walk around low light
DA* 300 for the long end
There are many macro lens Sigma 105/ Pentax 100 / the coveted Voigtländer 125 for macro / portraits

** The DA* 16-50 can be hit and miss - I like mine however it would be prudent to buy somewhere that has a good return policy. If weather sealing and SDM are a non issue there are several great alternatives. Sigma 18-50 Macro , Tamron 17-50 just to name a few.

Good luck
06-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am reminded of the ads released when the K series DSLRs were launched, we have made 23 million lenses to fit this camera.

You have a ton of choices, Dave has mentioned a few.

What you need to do first and foremost is determine the type of shooting. and light levels you intend to shoot in.

You can cover the basic range nicely with 3 lenses plus a TC.

look at the following
- 10-20 (or 12-24) ultra wide zoom
- a mid range zoom either 16-50/70 or 24/28-70/75 (this should be F2.8)
- a long zoom 70-200 (this should be F2.8)
- a 2x TC for use only on the long zoom

Everything else is a specialty lens.

For macro, I would go with MF because you are in control of what you want in focus, and macro usually is a slow process where AF does not help.

Pick up primes as you go, selecting wisely for specific uses. perhaps a very long prime for wildlife for example.

Always go for quality. Lenses are not like camera bodies, they will outlast the camera by a long period in time, and remain useful.

My lens collection spans 25 years, and I have used all 14 of my lenses (both new and old) on my K10D, The K10D is my 5th camera body.