Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Non Weather Resistance Lenses

Any experience on how to handle non weather resistance lenses such as Sigma? I have been using DA* 16-50 which comes weather resistant. But, not sure about Sigma lenses (17-70 contemporary for example). Are there any precautions to take when shooting with non WR lenses, particular in the early morning mist where picture is full of smudges.

05-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #2

Some filters are now coated with something that makes the water run off much easier. Also, buy a hood, if you don't have one. You can always use a plastic bag with openings on each end, and attached with rubber bands to keep it on the lens.

For me, the appeal of the modern Pentax is the selection of WR bodies and lenses.
05-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
Are there any precautions to take when shooting with non WR lenses, particular in the early morning mist where picture is full of smudges.
Common sense precautions are the order of the day. I own the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C) and recently used it under conditions misty enough to totally wet the front element and lens barrel as well as the camera body (I was at the base of a waterfall). I took care to not linger and to wipe down the outer camera and lens surfaces off immediately afterward and all was well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28796087@N02/17103494522/

Steve

(...owns no WR or DA* lenses...)
05-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always wipe the zoom barrel dry before retracting it into the body.

05-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Keep your camera at the temp you will be shooting at. Bringing a warm camera out into damp colder temps is much more prone to condensation really bad. This is not often mentioned.
05-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Keep your camera at the temp you will be shooting at. Bringing a warm camera out into damp colder temps is much more prone to condensation really bad. This is not often mentioned.
This is very important. What I do is when through taking photos and before coming inside (includes a warm car) is pull the memory card, then replace the camera & lens in my bag or gallon plastic bags that I keep with me, then bring everything inside. The camera bag or plastic bags stay sealed until I am positive the temperatures have equalized, even to the point of just leaving them until the next morning. If the gear is wet I have plenty of mirco clothes to wipe it down with before sealing them up.
05-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Optech rain sleeves are available rather cheaply, a little easier than making your own, they have a drawtring to tighten around the hood.There is a lot of good advice in all of the previous posts.
05-27-2015, 09:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had issues taking out K-5 mounted with Sigma lens from car during early morning mist where pictures show smudges. What could I have done differently?

05-27-2015, 11:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Precautions?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/58-troubleshooting-beginner-h...-84-large-.jpg

(sorry, couldn't resist)
05-28-2015, 03:00 AM - 2 Likes   #10

Dont let Heie get a hold of them.
05-28-2015, 03:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Same is also very true taking your camera from a strongly air conditioned environment out when it is hot and humid.
05-28-2015, 04:47 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
I had issues taking out K-5 mounted with Sigma lens from car during early morning mist where pictures show smudges. What could I have done differently?
Probably not much, unless you were not using a hood. The hood should keep drops of the front element, unless you are pointing up or into a strong wind.