Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma Macros...

I am curious about the the Sigma 105mm and 180mm macros. The 180mm seems to be quite a stunner and may be a purchase down the road, how does the 105mm stand up, say against my VIV S1? Anyone have any hands on knowledge?

06-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I am curious about the the Sigma 105mm and 180mm macros. The 180mm seems to be quite a stunner and may be a purchase down the road, how does the 105mm stand up, say against my VIV S1? Anyone have any hands on knowledge?
I have the 105 and love it. Awesome lens. I can't really compare to your viv s1, but its my sharpest lens by a good margin.
06-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In what way is the Vivitar Series 1 not doing what you need? I can imagine a lens being as good, but not better. Any flaws in my photos taken with it are entirely the photographer's fault.
06-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote

I've never used the VS1. I briefly owned the Sigma 180. It was a very nice lens. I returned because lens was damaged during shipping. But any macro prime lens made by any lens manufacturer is good. All manufacturers put their best efforts into these prime lenses as they are effectively flagship products. In the end one's preferred brand comes down to price, tactile feel/ergonomics, and preference for color cast, bokeh, etc. Sometimes the differences are so subtle the lens' price defaults to become the dominant variable in making a purchase decision between the final choices.

People talk about the working distance of the tele-macros. That's only half the reason for using one, in my opinion.

The other reason is the narrow angle of view. With a 200mm macro I can really isolate a subject and not have any distracting background clutter. This is far more important than people realize when it comes to making a good macro picture. The strongest macro images are creatively isolated and a 200mm lens makes doing this so much easier.

If you haven't done so may I suggest you buy John Shaw's "Closeups in Nature", $15.30 at Amazon.com. It is the best book on macro I've ever read and it will be the best $15.30 you will spend on macro photography this year, I promise.

06-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
In what way is the Vivitar Series 1 not doing what you need? I can imagine a lens being as good, but not better. Any flaws in my photos taken with it are entirely the photographer's fault.
Oh no, dont get me wrong, as long as I am alive that lens is staying with me. I am mainly interested in the 180mm but I saw that they also had the 105mm available so I just figured I would ask.
06-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
I've never used the VS1. I briefly owned the Sigma 180. It was a very nice lens. I returned because lens was damaged during shipping. But any macro prime lens made by any lens manufacturer is good. All manufacturers put their best efforts into these prime lenses as they are effectively flagship products. In the end one's preferred brand comes down to price, tactile feel/ergonomics, and preference for color cast, bokeh, etc. Sometimes the differences are so subtle the lens' price defaults to become the dominant variable in making a purchase decision between the final choices.

People talk about the working distance of the tele-macros. That's only half the reason for using one, in my opinion.

The other reason is the narrow angle of view. With a 200mm macro I can really isolate a subject and not have any distracting background clutter. This is far more important than people realize when it comes to making a good macro picture. The strongest macro images are creatively isolated and a 200mm lens makes doing this so much easier.

If you haven't done so may I suggest you buy John Shaw's "Closeups in Nature", $15.30 at Amazon.com. It is the best book on macro I've ever read and it will be the best $15.30 you will spend on macro photography this year, I promise.
That is what I am looking for.
06-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've never shot a macro longer than 105mm, but as I understand it, at 180 or 200mm a tripod is a necessity - handshake is too visible at the macro level at those lengths. I can shoot handheld macro with my Viv 105 fairly easily, and very easily with the 50 & 35. Something to consider if you're thinking about the 180.

06-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Buddha

Have you considered getting a 1.7x F AF Adapter ? That will turn your VS I into a long macro . Also you can use the TC with all you prime tele .

Tran

PS The 1.7x F costs less than Sigma 180 .

06-11-2008, 01:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
Have you considered getting a 1.7x F AF Adapter ?
Do teleconverters work well with macros;
06-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I've never shot a macro longer than 105mm, but as I understand it, at 180 or 200mm a tripod is a necessity - handshake is too visible at the macro level at those lengths.
I've been using the Sigma 180mm for nearly a year now and use it with a monopod without any problems. I do agree that handheld is quite difficult with the 180mm. The monopod (with ball head) makes it much easier than using a tripod when doing insect macros.
06-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
Do teleconverters work well with macros;
I think so . For some reason I could not find the old photos with VS One + 1.7X AF combo after I got the TC from frank , So I did a quick shot today . I haven't used this combo for quite a while .

Could be better with more practice for the operator

Tran
06-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 105. It's a great lens.
Highly recommended...