Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2015, 07:35 AM   #1

Long Exposure Shots With K50?

Hi guys , I want to take 2minute+ long exposure shots of waterfalls & rivers with my k50..... few lenses I'm considering right now are 15mm f/4 limited (want to get that wide angle for landscapes) , 18-55 , 18-135 ..... I also want to use ND filters on the lens to get the smooth effect of waters .... now as I'm new to pentax cameras It would be helpful to know

1. Has anybody tried ND filters on the 15mm f/4 limited ... does it work fine for long exposures ?

2. Any suggestion/experience for 18-55+ND filter or 18-135+ND filter ?

3. Can anyone suggest me a remote shutter release specifically for k50? A cheap Chinese one will do ...

Thank you,

05-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use both a JJC IR release and a JJC wired release. Both are less than $15 on amazon. Both work flawlessly.
05-31-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't tried a ND filter on the 15 Limited. I would go with the 18-135 over the 18-55 if you can afford it, no point it having both unless you want a more compact setup at times. The IQ and AF of the 18-135 is better (and of course the range and WR too). I have some of these variable ND filters: US Fotga Slim Fader Variable ND Filter Adjustable ND2 ND400 43 86mm 58 67 72 77 | eBay and they work fine, actually rated pretty well for their cost, plus you can adjust how dark you want them (like having several ND filters in one). Any Pentax remote shutter release will do, they are pretty inexpensive. Also, if your phone has an IR sensor you can download an app and use your phone as a remote shutter release. This is what I usually use on a whim since I always have my phone with me and am less likely to lose or misplace it.
06-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
Haven't tried a ND filter on the 15 Limited. I would go with the 18-135 over the 18-55 if you can afford it, no point it having both unless you want a more compact setup at times. The IQ and AF of the 18-135 is better (and of course the range and WR too). I have some of these variable ND filters: US Fotga Slim Fader Variable ND Filter Adjustable ND2 ND400 43 86mm 58 67 72 77 | eBay and they work fine, actually rated pretty well for their cost, plus you can adjust how dark you want them (like having several ND filters in one). Any Pentax remote shutter release will do, they are pretty inexpensive. Also, if your phone has an IR sensor you can download an app and use your phone as a remote shutter release. This is what I usually use on a whim since I always have my phone with me and am less likely to lose or misplace it.
For the filters I might go with the Hoya .... I have 3 of their UV for my older camera I just love them .... Hoya Variable ND filters are pricier than the ND filters & I have heard lots of complains with the image quality using VND when compared to their ND counterparts ....
About the lens I'm considering the Sigma 10-20 over the 15 limited ....... my friend use it for his canon mount & all praises for it ...... image quality is great at 10mm & this lens works well with the filters for a wide angle....so basically I need one (or two) ND filters for 77mm size only...

06-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Hoya ND400 which is a 9 or 10 stop ND filter and the only lens I use it on is the DA 15. I don't use it often but it does do the job if you want a long exposure on a bright sunny day. Focus first because you won't see a thing in the viewfinder. It's dark as a welding helmet. If you browse through the DA 15 Mind Control thread, there are quite a few examples of the DA 15 with ND filters.
06-06-2015, 05:45 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have this wired remote release for my K-50 and it works perfectly:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JUEO12U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
06-07-2015, 12:22 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have the Hoya ND400 which is a 9 or 10 stop ND filter and the only lens I use it on is the DA 15. I don't use it often but it does do the job if you want a long exposure on a bright sunny day. Focus first because you won't see a thing in the viewfinder. It's dark as a welding helmet. If you browse through the DA 15 Mind Control thread, there are quite a few examples of the DA 15 with ND filters.
Sorry I could not find any "DA 15 mind control" thread ... It would be very kind if you can point me to the thread ...
I almost made my mind on the 15 limited but then again Sigma 10-20 is a strong case to go much wider at 10mm & it works well with the filters , also the 15 is not the fastest at f4 ....... Rokinon 14mm f2.8 is faster & great image quality for a cheap lens (no problem going manual for landscape shots) but from the looks of it ,it might not take a filter at all although I'm not sure .......
Only advantages of 15 it looks like great performance shooting in sunlight & WR which will make a WR combo with k50....
Decisions decisions ...

---------- Post added 06-07-15 at 12:23 AM ----------

Thanks ... looks like just the thing I need
06-07-2015, 12:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andre771 Quote
I almost made my mind on the 15 limited but then again Sigma 10-20 is a strong case to go much wider at 10mm & it works well with the filters , also the 15 is not the fastest at f4 ....... Rokinon 14mm f2.8 is faster & great image quality for a cheap lens (no problem going manual for landscape shots) but from the looks of it ,it might not take a filter at all although I'm not sure .......
I have all three, Andre.

The 15mm is very portable and takes a 49mm filter that's used on other Pentax primes. The Sigma is good but is not really faster than the DA15.

The Samyang is but doesn't take a screw in filter.

I wouldn't get hung up on wide aperture anyway. For your usage you'll be f8, f11 or more.

06-07-2015, 06:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andre771 Quote
Sorry I could not find any "DA 15 mind control" thread ... It would be very kind if you can point me to the thread .
This thread has probably sold more DA15 lenses than all the advertising Pentax has done worldwide.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club.html